V6 Colt idling problem

Default V6 Colt idling problem

Ok let me start with events prior to the problem that might have something to do with it. +-150km ago i added "Reddex injector cleaner" to the prescribed amount of fuel, two days ago i disconnected the battery to charge it and the fuel level was low(petrol light on) when the problem started.

When its cold it idle and drive with no problem, yesterday morning when i started it there was a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust, switched it off and got a lift to work. Took a jerry can with and got 10l petrol, put it in when i got home started it and gone was the smoke. Thought my problems were gone too but not. Once it reaches working temp it idles when u start it but when u drive and step on the clutch it wants to cut out and actually have once or twice. I have to keep my foot slightly on the accelerator to keep it idling. Normal driving and performance is not influenced at all.

Did the low fuel level or injector cleaner allowed dirt to come into the fuel system or have the dead battery and disconnecting "confused" the ECU or maybe the fuel pump ?

Any advise or help wil be appreciated to put trust back in my Colt.

First question. Is the white smoke still there? If so it means your master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the vacuum lines.

Firstly disconnect both cables from the battery. Connect the positive and negative cables together (NOT the battery's) and leave it for 10+ min. Connect again. pos first, neg last. This should reset the computer.

Secondly replace the fuel filter that sits under the vehicle. Fairly quick and simple process.

Take it from there.

Ok just to report on the idling gremlins i had.
    I had to remove the battery terminals to replace the battery that was not holding charge anymore. Unplugged the MAF unit only clean the plug and sprayed it with Q20. Putted in R200 petrol and the problem is basicly gone. The rpm still dip very slightly when i step on the clutch. I've ordered a new petrol filter which i discovered has never been changed on last service and also they stripped the sump plug, and thats why i believe that if u want something done its better if u do it yourself.

Great! Just blow out the fuel return line as well while your hands are dirty. That can affect the idling as well if it is dirty or blocked.

Just read through the service manual and it seems that after a battery disconnect, the computer can take up to 40 key starts to relearn the engine and match the best settings to operate it. So your idling should fix itself after a few runs.