Nationwide Recall of Hill's & Vet's Choice dog food (Animals dying)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Nationwide Recall of Hill's & Vet's Choice dog food (Animals dying)

Ek het self gebel om the bevestig en met Royal Canin gepraat & hulle is nog besig met toetse & sal eers na 48 ure die uitslae he, hulle raai aan dat geen Vets Choice op die stadium gebruik moet word nie totdat gesien kan word watter kos & batched geafekteer is nie.

Nationwide Recall of Vet's Choice dog food!!!
    « on: Today at 02:25:34 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if ur feeding ur dog Vet's Choice stop immediately!!! This can lead to accute renal failure in ur dog....STOP FEEDING IT TO THEM IMMEDIATELY!!!

The symptoms are:

Lethargy/depression
    Nausea/ vomiting
    Decreased appetite/anorexia
    Dehydration

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...097608,00.html

SA faces pet food shock
    12/04/2007 11:41 - (SA)

Andrea Botha

Cape Town - Two big pet food manufacturers are to withdraw of their products from shelves after several animals apparently fell ill after eating the food.

Hill's Pet Nutrition warned cat owners not to use any of its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food, which the company said should be returned for a replacement or a refund.

The product was recalled in the US after reportedly hundreds of cats died from renal failure after eating contaminated food.

The scale of the problem in SA isn't known. According to the South African Veterinary Association's Gerhard Steenkamp, the recall of Hill's in SA was a precautionary measure as it hadn't appeared to affect cats locally.

Acute renal failure

But while investigating this story, it emerged that one of the country's premier dog food companies announced that it was to withdraw its dog food from shelves around the country.

Vets Choice, manufactured by Royal Canin, is a premium dog food product sold only at veterinarian's offices and pet shops.

According to Dr Steenkamp, Royal Canin decided to recall all Vets Choice products after there were signs of contamination in the food.

Recently, there were confirmed cases of 19 dogs in Cape Town and Johannesburg who'd presented with acute renal failure, all of whom appeared to have been fed Vets choice products. According to a statement sent out to veterinary surgeons across the country and in the possession of News24, it wasn't clear what had caused the condition.

"In the interests of patients and pending tests being conducted on Vets Choice products, Royal Canin South Africa has decided to suspend all sales of Vets Choice with immediate effect and vets are requested to advise clients to cease feeding Vets Choice products to their pets until further notice," the statement said.

"It will be a huge loss for the company. It's a massive industry," said Steenkamp.

He said it was commendable that the company had decided to recall the product as soon as it heard of the problem with the food as it was unclear what had caused the problem.

Several vets confirmed that they had received a fax asking them to remove Vets Choice products from their shelves pending further instruction.

Vets Choice had at the time of publication not given a statement to confirm that they had ordered a recall of their food.

Recently, Woolworths had to recall all of its dry dog and cat food due to contamination of certain products.

Dr Steenkamp said as different companies manufactured the dog and cat foods and imported them from overseas in most instances - and different ingredients were used in the manufacturing process, any link between the reports of contamination appeared to be coincidental.

He said worried pet owners should speak to their vets who would have up-to-date information and would advise them on what to feed their animals.

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

I've already spoken to our vet. I'm taking the food back to him for a refund and will get something else for my dogs. He has already had 5 sick dogs in this week.
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty MW3
    Synergy 3" lift
    Metal Cloack Gamechanger Arms
    Fox 2.0
    Project4WD Bumpers
    DirtyLife Beadlocks
    37" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3

Ja, and the financial director sold his shares about a week ago!

I've lost two of my four dogs in the last year...... One died of a massive heart attack and the other we had to put down due to Lymphatic cancer.

I feed Vets Choice and honestly felt that this was the second best choice of what is on the market. Costs of Eukanuba are a bit too hectic.

Since Garfield (fem Rottweiler) died I have always suspected it was the food. Where else would she have picked up the cancer

We'll have to see what the outcome is of this one.
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Jislaaik, at first our Great Dane was fed the Woolies stuff, then it was recalled from all the shelves so we swopped to Vets Choice, no that's being recalled...One of these day's he's going to run out of food!

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    I've lost two of my four dogs in the last year...... One died of a massive heart attack and the other we had to put down due to Lymphatic cancer.

I feed Vets Choice and honestly felt that this was the second best choice of what is on the market. Costs of Eukanuba are a bit too hectic.

Since Garfield (fem Rottweiler) died I have always suspected it was the food. Where else would she have picked up the cancer

We'll have to see what the outcome is of this one.
    Our Lab has been eating Vets Choice since a pup...on the recommendation of my BIL who runs Strand Animal Hospital...5 years... no probs...

BTW, Kai, you don't "pick-up" cancer... might have been passive smoking?

EDIT: Just spoke to BIL - he says do NOT feed this food to the animals until further notice...
    Last edited by SimonB; 2007/04/12 at 09:06 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I feed Hills to our 3 Siamese cats, hope it is still safe.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Is that the "Science diet"? Mine eat that as well.

(and every other cat in the neighbourhood )
    * "Wat Spike probeer sę in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Spike yes it is. Since I changed to Hills they wont touch any other dry cat food. The only snag is that the C/D (For urinal infections) can only be bought from vets.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Default Nationwide Recall of Hill's & Vet's Choice dog food

I had my doggy/brat on Eukanuba for years. When i took her to my parents when we went on holiday. She started eating pets choice and did not want to touch the Eukanuba. I have to say pets choice is alot cheaper, and she's been on it for about 2 year and she's still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Ja, and the financial director sold his shares about a week ago!
    How seririas are you about this (was it the FD of Royal Canin?)

Hein

Don't know if this has been sorted yet (was at the begining of April07) (this was a recall on Hill's for cats) (info below is from Hill's webpage)

Hills Pet Nutrition, Inc. Voluntarily Recalls Single Product, Prescription Diet™ m/d™
    Feline Dry Food, Only Product Containing Wheat Gluten Topeka, KS (March 30, 2007) - In accordance with its over-riding commitment to pet health and well-being, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food from the market. Hill's is taking this precautionary action because during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for this product was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to Menu Foods. U.S. Food and Drug Administration tests of wheat gluten samples show the presence of a small amount of melamine. Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food represents less than one-half of one percent of Hill's product sales.

This is the only product Hill's currently sells in South Africa that contains wheat gluten from any supplier. No other Hill's Prescription Diet® or Science Plan® products are affected by this voluntary recall. Hill's Science Diet Savory Cuts Feline canned cat foods, manufactured by Menu Foods, were previously withdrawn from the U.S. and Canadian market as a precaution. None of these affected Science Diet products have been imported into South Africa. Together with this earlier withdrawal, less than 1% of all Hill's products have been affected.

The voluntary recall of Hill's Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food involves discontinuation of all retail sales and product retrieval from sellers. This recall does not include Prescription Diet m/d Feline canned food which contains no wheat gluten.

Consumers in South Africa should stop using Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food and return it for replacement with Prescription Diet m/d Feline canned food or a refund. All Hill's products carry a 100 percent guarantee, and consumers can receive a refund for recalled product. For more information, consumers and veterinarians can contact the Hill's Helpline at 0800 228 783 or visit www.HillsPet.com for details.

Hill's expects to resume shipment shortly of a reformulated version of this highly beneficial product that will not contain wheat gluten. Please check with your veterinarian for an alternative Prescription Diet until m/d Feline dry is reformulated and made available again.

Following is a list of Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry products included in this recall:

Recalled product South Africa UPC* Size
    Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline dry food 52742 42770
    4 lb. bag

*All Date Codes included

Hill's has been fully cooperating with the FDA in the U.S. since the outset of its investigation and made the decision to voluntarily recall these products in consultation with the FDA.

Over the past 50 years, Hill's has committed itself to earning the trust of pet owners and veterinary professionals by providing healthy and nutritious foods for the pets in our lives. We deeply regret any concern we have caused our valued customers. Hill's is committed to thoroughly addressing this issue and to providing additional information as it becomes available.

No other Hill's Prescription Diet® or Science Plan® products are affected by this voluntary recall.
    Last edited by Bundu; 2007/04/13 at 09:00 AM.

Hein

It was also the Wheat Gluten in the Woollies food stuff that was the cause of the recall on their foods for animals

Hein

Default Profit Kills

The Wheat Gluten in this case was sourced from China. It just shows that when profits are at stake companies take shortcuts on quality control. I just get so angry that innocent animals have to suffer so that shareholders can be kept happy. I hope someone starts a class action law suit against the firms concerned and sues the hell out of them! Animal lovers get very attached to their pets and the pain and suffering that they have had to endure is incalculable.

South Africa
    More bad news for pet owners 2007-4-16 12:50 Johannesburg -

Top dog and cat food manufacturer Royal Canin has announced that it is recalling specific batches of all dog and cat dry food products manufactured under their labels.
    The company released a statement after tests showed that a batch of raw material received by Royal Canin South Africa from a third party supplier may have been contaminated.

The company said it could not yet be sure what the contaminant was but that the public would be informed as soon as it had received more information.

Although all its products had not been contaminated, the company decided to organise a voluntary recall of all dog and cat dry food products manufactured under the Vets Choice and Royal Canin brands in South Africa manufactured between the period from 8th March 2007 to 11th April 2007.

The recall did not include products manufactured in South Africa before 8 March 2007 and products manufactured outside South Africa.

Pet owners were requested to check the date of manufacture and country of origin on the packs of all Royal Canin products in their possession and return recalled product to the vet from which it was purchased.

If owners had thrown away the bag and were unsure when their food was manufactured, they should rather not feed the food to their pets.

"Royal Canin want to prevent any further illness to pets, " said Barbara Bester on behalf of the company. She added that further tests were being carried out around the clock.

Concerned pet owners may contact dedicated consumer lines at 011 801 5002/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/63 or email [email protected]

Hein

Quote Originally Posted by GR-man View Post
    ...she started eating pets choice and did not want to touch the Eukanuba. I have to say pets choice is alot cheaper, and she's been on it for about 2 year and she's still going strong.
    If our dogs were eating pet's choice - they'll just be eating biltong! However, they get fed, or used to get fed, Vet's Choice...

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

My two cats both also eat Royal Canin, but the bags they're eating from at the moment are older than the starting date of this recall period, I think! They don't get along that well, so the one lives with me and the other with my folks. I'll have to check with my dad how old their current bag is.

Take note of your pet's behaviour, is what I'd suggest. Some time ago earlier this year the one living with my folks wouldn't eat the food from the then new bag. He kept on trying to cover the food, as in a litter box, and even lost weight while refusing to eat. My dad returned the food, telling the lady there must be something wrong with it. She exchanged it under protest, but as soon as my dad had arrived home and opened the new bag he had to fight the cat to get room for his hand in the bag again...

Also, apparently the animal hospital in De Villiers Street in Durbanville wouldn't exchange someone's returned Vet's Choice last week, which is grounds for boycotting them, imo, but I'd like to know if anyone else here has had the same experience.

I am feeding my dog (a Labrador) Pedigree and I am quite happy. Her general condition is is better than with some of the more expensive stuff my wife bought before, but what sold me onto it was that the amount of crap I had to pick up decreased and was generally less(amount), less smelly and drier, thus less unpleasant to handle. I hope there is no problems with it too.

I received a call from my vet. My dogs ate from the contaminated batch of food.

I must bring them in to have test done. R700 per dog. Who is going to pay for this?!

I've sent a mail to the above mentioned mail address and let you know.
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty MW3
    Synergy 3" lift
    Metal Cloack Gamechanger Arms
    Fox 2.0
    Project4WD Bumpers
    DirtyLife Beadlocks
    37" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3

My father-in-laws dog, a lab, had the symptoms above and after tests were done and similar amounts (R700) they discovered it was the cause of the contaminated food. The vet phoned him and said that he does not have to pay anything as he (the vet) will reclaim costs from the manufacturers. Sam (the lab) is now on medication for his kidneys as he is quite an old dog (11 years) and so far my father-in-law has paid zilch.

I feed my pets (3 dogs and 4 cats) pedigree and a cat food bought from shops and they are as fit and healthy as ever! Plus they get chicken and rice with grated carrots and a tiny bit of oil about twice a week.

"It was also the Wheat Gluten in the Woollies food stuff that was the cause of the recall on their foods for animals" Apparently it was contaminated with antifreeze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast