Defender Puma Reliability

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Puma Reliability

I have been the victim of a failing TD5 one too often. As a result I lost all faith in my Landy, and have decided that my 2004 model (170 000kays) is now due for a refresh.

My decision is between a new Puma or a (Dare I say it here) Fortuner. I know the Fortuner is more comfortable to ride, but that the Puma is more rugged and capable. Be honest though, both should meet my need. Confusion sets in!

What is the experience of the forum members. How reliable is Land Rover Defender Puma today? Can I buy one and embark on a 1000km trip to the kalahari without having to be towed the last 80 km to van Zijls rus? (Engine overheating) Can I drive from Wakkerstroom to Viliers via the gravel roads without having to be towed the last 20 km? (Fan through radiator) Can I drive over the Matabeng pass with confidence, knowing my wife and kids can relax and enjoy the scenery, knowing I will reach my destination without worry?

Give it to me straight! Do I forsake my allegiance and go Japanese or do I stay British?

Stay British and maintain the vehicle properly.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

ive said it before on this forum.... my current puma has given me less problems than what my current shape toyo raider and ford ranger did on the same millage... im almost on 60k

in the end its also about how you look after the vehicle, i service mine every 10k at the agents even though they only require 20k

the days of toyo being unbreakable are long gone, except for your bruisers etc. its a legacy left behind by the old toyos like the sfa luxes etc.
    the current raider is just as soft as the rest unfortunately

BUT the toyo is without a doubt a much cheaper vehicle to own. the puma service and fuel costs are much more and theres no getting around it. its
    a premium you pay but well worth it, if you can afford it...
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2011/06/26 at 11:43 AM.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!!!

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Quote Originally Posted by mufie View Post
    Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!!!
    ...and a Madman
    2003 Td5 110 DC

Quote Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
    ...and a Madman
    +1 - or AT LEAST a black box.
    Constant Meiring
    BMW F800GSA
    Renault Duster 1.5DCI 4x4

SOLD - '96 Defender 90 300TDI - Terrafirma ProSport Shocks & Coils, Khumo KL71 muds, Allisport double core intercooler & FAST ORANGE silicon pipes
    FOR SALE - '03 Discovery 2 TD5 Facelift - WAS remapped (until a certain dodgy indy made off with my NNN ecu), CDL mod

Default Too late, I bought it!

Committed! The friendly guys in Midrand made me a special offer I could not refuse. Now just to wait for delivery!

RynoB on the forum has a Puma, PM him for any info you need.

Congrats on the purchase, I am glad that you did not settle for the tupperware.

Please post some pics once you have it?

Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Self designed Rock and Tree Sliders.
    Next: Project Bashplate
    1981 Series 3 S R6 88" Allmost Perfectly Restored

Ok, so I go the Puma and set off to test her this week-end. Found a spot of snow up Sani Pass, down again and around to Rhodes via the Naude's Nek pass. What a wonderful car to drive!

1 km before Rhodes suddenly everything died. One, two, three, dead!

First week-end, first break down. Sigh.

Turned out to be the ignition wire at the back of the ignition key that has rattled off. Current theory, the <put strong word here> that installed the spot lights pushed the wire off.

Not good, but at least I did not need a flat bed.

Slaghuis, I only give advice with Koedoe biltong in my hand.

I owe the same year model Puma as Ryanbe in post #3 and agree whole heartedly with him. The Puma is very reliable without any glitches, you only pay more for fuel and services.
    But if you can afford it you will never look at an appliance again.

Ryno Black
    Amarok V6

Quote Originally Posted by Slaghuis View Post
    Ok, so I go the Puma and set off to test her this week-end. Found a spot of snow up Sani Pass, down again and around to Rhodes via the Naude's Nek pass. What a wonderful car to drive!

Turned out to be the ignition wire at the back of the ignition key that has rattled off. Current theory, the <put strong word here> that installed the spot lights pushed the wire off.

Hi, I think we may have seen you there. We were staying at Kinmer guest farm about 1Km before Rhodes on the Naudes Hoek side.

On the way up Naudes we encountered a Puma comming down. Maybe you saw us, a convoy of 8 4x4's.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Ive got 30 000 km on mine at the moment...only problem I had was the battery terminal clamp thingies werent tight enough......maybe have a look at yours cause when they come loose the car goes dead and you &^%$* your self Other than that no problems...I also service every 10k
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

Default Battery Light

Finished the 8km commute yesterday. Stopped at home to pick up SWAMBO and the lads. Started up to go to the local Spar (Nothing like a braai on a Monday night).
    The battery light would not go off.
    Driving back all was fine again. No problems this morning either?
    Confused . . .
    ps. Off to Upington on Thursday to go and fetch the Disco. Anyone in the market for a 2004 TD5 with a brand new engine, rebuilt gearbox, new torque converter, new water pipes, recent balloons. (Wow I spent a lot on her recently)
    Last edited by Slaghuis; 2011/08/23 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Layout

Lol, the first time this happened to me was in the Waterberg. As I had no idea what was wrong, landy went back to LR on a flatbed, who supposedly fixed the problem. The next time it happened was in the Kgalagadi on the way to Rooiputs. It's a bit scary being stranded with lions roaring nearby and both windows unable to close. A knowledgeable friend then helped to sort out the problem.

Turns out the morons from tracker dislodged a plug from the back of the ignition and never put it back on properly. Their box was also perfectly placed to vibrate against the dashboard cable, probably causing it to come loose the second time.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX 4.7L V8

Unhappy Transfer Case

Evening Friends,
    Unfortunately it is time for another update. 7000km on the clock.
    Just before coming to a halt, I would depress the clutch and brake. Every time I do this (and the whole rig is on running temperature) this horrid rattle would come from somewhere deep down in the bowels.
    I thought is was the hand brake. Reported this to the friendly fellas there in Midrand. They called back today, saying that they are busy putting a brand new transfer case in.
    Just glad this did not happen whilst I was in Botswana this coming December
    Every one warned me, I would not listen.
    Cheers.

Slaghuis, I really feel for you, and no, not a snotty remark. Genuine.

As much as I love Land Rover, I just gave up. Sad. I'm now where everything keeps going right... :-)
    Unless it shoots straight, it is like Zohkos. Pretty perhaps, but not of much use.

Come on Slaghuis, move over to the dark side. To be honest though I do hope they sort out your Puma. If they don’t then I’d say the only real equivalent is the Land Cruiser 76 Series (a bit sluggish but as tough and reliable as a wood burning stove). Prado’s, Hilux’s and Tuna’s are great all rounders and they have their merits, but they're not as tough as the 76 Series.

Holding thumbs that your Puma issues will soon be behind you.
    Last edited by Craigananzi; 2011/10/25 at 07:12 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbe View Post
    ive said it before on this forum.... My current puma has given me less problems than what my current shape toyo raider and ford ranger did on the same millage... Im almost on 60k
    in the end its also about how you look after the vehicle, i service mine every 10k at the agents even though they only require 20k
    the days of toyo being unbreakable are long gone, except for your bruisers etc. Its a legacy left behind by the old toyos like the sfa luxes etc.
    The current raider is just as soft as the rest unfortunately
    but the toyo is without a doubt a much cheaper vehicle to own. The puma service and fuel costs are much more and theres no getting around it. Its
    a premium you pay but well worth it, if you can afford it...
    100%

Default Puma 90

Hi guys, wow you have certainly been unlucky with your Puma,,,,,,,, mine has just over 7500 k's and has had ( touch wood ) nothing wrong with her yet,,,, i have additionally done a few trails with her and to date all is well,,,,,,,,, perhaps you purchased a "lemon "? Did the friendly guys in Randburg say that the transfer case issue was a common problem with the Puma ? or was that just an isolated incident ?

Evening Friends,
    Unfortunately it is time for another update. 7000km on the clock.
    Just before coming to a halt, I would depress the clutch and brake. Every time I do this (and the whole rig is on running temperature) this horrid rattle would come from somewhere deep down in the bowels.
    I thought is was the hand brake. Reported this to the friendly fellas there in Midrand. They called back today, saying that they are busy putting a brand new transfer case in.
    Just glad this did not happen whilst I was in Botswana this coming December
    Every one warned me, I would not listen.
    Cheers.
    Don't worry, all new defenders have teething problems. LR will happily fix them. At least you'll get a brand new transfer case before they realise it is actually the handbrake.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX 4.7L V8

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast