Trip to Hwange - Chizarira- Kariba- Mana Pools

Default Trip to Hwange - Chizarira- Kariba- Mana Pools

After travelling to Botswana extensively and enjoyed every trip with its own experiences the next step now for us is to do Zimbabwe.
    We want to share our trip itinerary and would appreciate input to make the most of our visit to Zim. Whatever you think ie places of interest, areas of caution , any advice on timing on route etc as we do not want to miss out on anything or try and re-event the wheel.
    We will be 3 couples travelling with 3 LC P'U (4.5 EFI, V6 ,4.2 Diesel) towing 3 Bushwakka Trailers.
    We plan to leave home, Kleinmond early morning on 5 Aug
    Aug Overnight
    5 Vryburg
    6 Woodlands Francistown
    7 Enter Zim Pandamatenga
    7/8 Hwange Shumba Picnic Good sites?
    9/10 Hwange Kennedy 1
    11 On route to Chizarira visit Mlibizi or Binga ?
    11/12 Chizarira Mucheni View
    13 On route to Kariba Left at Mangunge or to Karoi ?
    13 Kariba Still need to bookChalets ?
    14/15/16 Houseboat to explore Matusadona shoreline
    17 On route Mana Pools
    17/18/19 Mana Gwaya Good sites ?
    20/21/22 Mana New Ndungu 2
    23 On route to Gweru Antelope Park
    23/24 Gweru Antelope Park
    25/26/27 On route home through Plumtree Try to fit Matobos in

This is our planned trip and can not wait for August.
    We would really value your input to assist us to get most out of our trip.
    Dankie.

Boslappie, can't say much on the trip, but Shumba is fantastic. Stayed there for 2 nights in April. When ever we go back, Shumba will be on our list again. You might be lucky to see more game as they have a waterhole just outside the camp. Enjoy your trip.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Have just returned from Hwange and Mlibizi. I aborted my trip to chizarira because with the heavy rains they have had the road has deteriorated badly beyond mlibizi turnoff. We were only one vehicle. If I had had back up I would have continued. Met a Couple who were in a convoy who lost 5 tyres on that section. So take 2 spares and extra tyres. There is dicey fuel at Crossroads and at Dete They were both empty when we were there, but, bear in mind that you can get fuel at the 'Hwange Safari Lodge' at a slightly higher price. Camping at Mlibizi is very good but expensive (R!00/person/night) I stayed at Shumbu but would recommend Mandavu instead as you are next to a dam. And Kennedy is nice but Ngwethia (?spelling) which is not far from Kennedy has more pans around and more game. Good luck. The Zim bush is fantastic.

Spook , thanks for the positive feedback on Shumba . I omitted to mention that all bookings have been paid and confirmed which mean no changes if we want to.
    Jack , thanks, the info on the road is vital and will re think our tyre position. Travelling with the same vehicles makes it a bit easier to change around if needed.

We also love Shumba in Hwange!
    After a week in Hwange we will be heading up to Chizarira, Matusadona and Mana Pools in late July so I can send you an update before you go...

Mamasdriving that will be much appreciated , thank you . Most interesting will be the condition of the Binga / Karoi road as well as the condition of the camping sites in Mana after the recent floods .

We will get to Harare from Mana on August 8 and I will do my best to post you a quick report before you get up to the Binga- Karoi road. At the very least I will shoot you a PM...

For the latest road reports on the Dete - Binga road try telephoning Binga Rest Camp 00263-15-244 or Binga Spar 00263 15 316.

We went through on that road and did not have any tyre problems. We kept the pressure at normal pressure and did not deflate as the road has sharp stony gravel in places.

Diesel is normally available in Binga either at the Binga Rest Camp, Spar or at the CMED workshop.

Mike

Boslappie

Please keep me in your loop we are doing the same route Hwange-Chizarira- Matushadona (Tashinga)before going to Mana via Kariba (on the powerline route) a few days before you in August.
    Have stayed over at Shumba and Masuma both great however other than for Mana not booking anything this time around therefor will try for Kennedys othewise Main camp will be fine. Sprinter do you know what's the situation re Petrol at Binga
    Dave M

There was petrol at Mlibizi (Zambesi resort) and Binga when we were there.

Mike

Mamasdriving, thanks, we will be in Shumba on Aug 8 and will not be able to receive your mail. We will however phone Binga as Sprinter has suggested to get an update on the Binga / Karoi road.
    Sprinter, thanks for the info on petrol at Binga.

Boslappie, just two comments on your trip:

1. Woodlands to Shumba in 1 day? This might in theory br doable but I don't believe this to be sensible. From Elephant Sands (Nata) would be easier on you guys.

2. Chizarira to Kariba in 1 day ditto. The road is terrible. You wont have time to visit Binga/Milibizi enroute to Chizarira from Kennedy.

Otherwise your planning seems to be great. Pity though that you can't get to camp at Chitake 1 in Mana Pools it a great and truly African experience.

Take it easy and Enjoy.

Hi Guys
    Finding all your comments very helpful. We are going to Zim and planning to spend time in Hwange,Vic falls and Kariba Lake. We don't want to travel all the way to Kariba town but want to access the lake shore and spend time on a house boat.Does anyone know what the Binga/Sijarira/Chete areas are like from a "game reserve" point of view . Can we access a house boat from the southern aspect of the lake? Alan

Tron thank you for the advice. I fully agree that timing is tight on all three legs of our trip and that we might not have sufficient time to value the beauty on route.
    We thought that a very early start in the morning should allow us time to get us to our destinations before dark and must mention that the time frames used in my planning were based on various trip reports.
    Based on your advice we will ensure not to waste time on route.