Battery Management System

Default Battery Management System

Does somebody have a Battery Management System thats able to divert the charge to the battery, or batteries that needs it most.
    I want to find out if this really work and if there is any benefits in installing such a system to divert the Alternator charge to my Dual battery and the Caravan while driving.
    Will it be able then supply more charge to recover these batteries quicker.

http://www.4x4powersolutions.co.za/b...anagement.html
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Johan I have a Conqueror charging system that came out of my 2009 Prado, I can't use it on my new one as there is some concern with regards to the ignition and, and, and, I ordered a National Luna system which will be installed tomorrow, you can have the 2nd hand one for R800-00 (I paid R1750-00 for it last year) if you're interested.
    "If it ain't broken - Modify it"
    -------------------------------------
    Ben
    '99 Jeep Wrangler; 4" Procom Lift kit; 4.7Lt Mopar conversion; 33"x12.5x15" MT Baja Claws (Mine); '11 Prado 4.0Lt VX Petrol (Ours); '08 MB SLK 200 Coupe (SWAMBO's); '08 Conqueror Commander

You also need a Batman unit to tell you how many hours you have left in your battery at the current draw!

Default Defender battery management

Always had problems with my 1996 Tdi 300 when it comes to charging aux batteries. For starters, the alternator is 55amp and never could I sufficiently charge the 105Amp aux. battery while using the Engel 1998 fridge. Then came the Nat.Luna fridge that uses far less energy then the Engel but still charging problems. Visited a Vehicle Electrician and who modified the alternator buy replacing the rotor with a VW product to give me 90Amps. But then more problems, apart from still not charging the aux battery, the bearings need to be replaced about every 5-6 months! Keep in mind that I am using the NL split charge system.
    Then decided to visit Plan My Power and good old Geoff sold me a Bosh 130Amp alternator with a external voltage regulator and a split charging device that will sense the amount of charge needed for every battery, including a second Aux in the trailer connected with 16mm wire.
    But, still waiting for PMP to deliver, the service is really shocking, they do have a great product, I hope, but their service is terrible. Excuses and excuses, never do they contact you to inform you why there is a delay, you have to contact them, if you can get hold of them as well! O, the wire diagram has several wires in various colours but the supplied harnesses lack some of the colours, making installation a bit difficult for the DIY!
    Their system, highly rated, is not cheap and I can not wait (now three weeks) for the 150-3 splitter and will give feedback once I return from a 3 week Botswana holiday! Hope it will be positive!
    The next step is to visit Bushpower for solar panels; at least Renzo is informative and extremely helpful. Placed an order with him and it was available all on said date!
    It comes across that PMP has company problems and my advice is to stay away from them till end of 2011 to see if they are still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by opsafari View Post
    Their system, highly rated, is not cheap ......

It comes across that PMP has company problems and my advice is to stay away from them till end of 2011 to see if they are still in business.
    I vissted them in June and got the exact same feeling. Smooth talking and trashing other product suppliers , but they themselves had no stock. They wanted my car for a week to do the mods ie just the charge system which is madness. I then wanted to buy a DIY setup to be installed when back in Zambia, but sorry no stock and they had no idea when they will have stock again.

All I wanted was a decent alternator ie something like a 120 /130 for the LC.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2011/07/21 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanJvV View Post
    Does somebody have a Battery Management System thats able to divert the charge to the battery, or batteries that needs it most.
    I want to find out if this really work and if there is any benefits in installing such a system to divert the Alternator charge to my Dual battery and the Caravan while driving.
    Will it be able then supply more charge to recover these batteries quicker.
    Hi Johan - the fact is that your crank battery always needs charge, and should always be the priority in your charging system. The National Luna intelligent solenoid will do this for you. Deep cycle batteries, while great for allowing a longer current draw, are notoriously slow chargers. There are a number of alternatives to managing this. It's a long story to type. Give me a call if you like and I can take you through them. Some people have gone to the lengths of installing expensive, advanced systems that I'm not convinced are necessary for the "normal" user.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    ......There are a number of alternatives to managing this.
    Gavin, what is the effect of the mod you guys are doing to the alternator on its lifespan and reliability. Apart from the voltage issue when it comes to deep cycle batteries we all have the same problem of under specked alternators in terms of amps. Think you are lucky to have a 55 amp alternator as some is down to 45 amps.

A 55 amp alternator will never be sufficient with all the mods we do on our vehicles ie spot lights, sound systems, dual batteries you name it.....

Relatively easy to solve the voltage issue but amps remains a problem!

What is the solution?

Hi Bertie. The mod is done, on our behalf by a guy associated with NL (don't want people to think we're alternator techies :-)) to the regulator and is a minor one that will work on some vehicles. It has no impact on longevity. It just makes the alternator think that the battery needs more power than it does.

There are two options to really increasing the output of your alternator (as far as I'm aware) and one is an alternator booster, but probably the better one is installing a higher power alternator. http://www.cruiserheadstore.com/crui...0-series-45l-/
    You know what we're up to at the moment - we might have access to this in the not too distant future.

However, irrespective of your output power on your alternator, you still need to manage the charging of your other batteries.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2011/07/21 at 08:03 AM.
    Gavin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Any news yet?
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

Default Re: Battery Management System

Also looking to fix low voltage output from my alternator...any ideas here??