Wrangler 4dr JK Wrangler Unlimited Manual Owners

Exclamation JK Wrangler Unlimited Manual Owners

Hi all
    LeonD and I are logging a case with Chrysler SA. We both have Wrangler Unlimited's with Manual Gearboxes. My clutch has been replaced twice, and will no doubt go again. Driving in beach sand kills the clutch, pulling off with a trailor up an incline, or even reversing up a moderate slope causes serious problems. Its a design flaw with the vehicle using Manual gearboxes, perhaps why it is no longer sold with optional manual gearbox for the CRD unlimited. I also have 3.21 ratios as standard instead of the 3.73 in the auto. Driving on a mild trail in 4H also causes clutch wear. It doesnt happen in 4L. Im scared of taking the vehicle to Mozambique again only to have clutch problems again, where other Toyota's and Navara's are much more driveable. I love my Jeep, however this is a serious problem, Leon was told that its a characterstic of the Manual Jeep and must therefore accept it. I am awaiting feedback from Chrysler, and am considering tradeing in my vehicle for an auto, which at the moment would mean an extra cost.
    If anyone else has a manual unlimited CRD, please let us know your experiences, and If you have the same problem, perhaps we can get Chrysler to do something and restore faith and confidence in our vehicles.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7
    Previous Jeeps:
    2012 JKU Rubicon 3.6 V6 on 37's with Synergy 5" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks with Synergy Adjustable Control Arms
    2010 JKU Rubicon 3.8 V6 on 35's with Synergy 4" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks
    2008 JKU Sahara 2.8 CRD 6sp Man on 33's with Full Traction 3"

Quote Originally Posted by rickJK View Post
    Hi all
    LeonD and I are logging a case with Chrysler SA. We both have Wrangler Unlimited's with Manual Gearboxes. My clutch has been replaced twice, and will no doubt go again. Driving in beach sand kills the clutch, pulling off with a trailor up an incline, or even reversing up a moderate slope causes serious problems. Its a design flaw with the vehicle using Manual gearboxes, perhaps why it is no longer sold with optional manual gearbox for the CRD unlimited. I also have 3.21 ratios as standard instead of the 3.73 in the auto. Driving on a mild trail in 4H also causes clutch wear. It doesnt happen in 4L. Im scared of taking the vehicle to Mozambique again only to have clutch problems again, where other Toyota's and Navara's are much more driveable. I love my Jeep, however this is a serious problem, Leon was told that its a characterstic of the Manual Jeep and must therefore accept it. I am awaiting feedback from Chrysler, and am considering tradeing in my vehicle for an auto, which at the moment would mean an extra cost.
    If anyone else has a manual unlimited CRD, please let us know your experiences, and If you have the same problem, perhaps we can get Chrysler to do something and restore faith and confidence in our vehicles.
    Forum member MikeG has a manual CRD unlimited. Drop him a pm and ask him how his experience with his JK has been.

Thank you Rickjk Let's hope we get some replies soon.

Default Wrangler JK Clutch Issues

Hey guys? No other Manual CRD owners out there?
    Previous Jeeps:
    2012 JKU Rubicon 3.6 V6 on 37's with Synergy 5" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks with Synergy Adjustable Control Arms
    2010 JKU Rubicon 3.8 V6 on 35's with Synergy 4" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks

I must say, did smell mine a couple of times in thick sand, without trying funny stuff. Did not damage it yet, but it got real hot in order to smell it. Now got 52300km on clock, 2007 model. Am now very careful when pulling away in the sand, always put it in low range until I get to more solid areas.
    "We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
    Oliver Wendall Holmes

Johan (ZS1JV, M0ZJV)
    2007 JK, CRD (SOLD)
    2014 Cherokee KL Limited 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JDeV View Post
    I must say, did smell mine a couple of times in thick sand, without trying funny stuff. Did not damage it yet, but it got real hot in order to smell it. Now got 52300km on clock, 2007 model. Am now very careful when pulling away in the sand, always put it in low range until I get to more solid areas.
    Thanks JDeV,
    Do you not have any issues when reversing up an incline, or pulling off up a moderate hill with aircon on? Do you know what ratio's you have?
    If you spend alot of time driving on sand, which i did in mozambique, for 2 weeks, the clutch gets hammered, i didnt even tow a trailor, the hilux and navara did and didnt have problems, but my Jeep clutch died, had to drive back from Mozam below 2800rpm or it would slip.
    Previous Jeeps:

Thanks JDeV,
    Do you not have any issues when reversing up an incline, or pulling off up a moderate hill with aircon on? Do you know what ratio's you have?
    Mine got the 4.10 ratio. Did not experience any problems under those conditions yet. I drove long sand (river bed) sections in the Richtersveldt and along the upper Westcoast recently, but did not get any problems there.
    "We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
    Oliver Wendall Holmes

Johan (ZS1JV, M0ZJV)
    2007 JK, CRD (SOLD)

Smile

Got August 2007 sport wrangler unlmtd.Not aware of any problems.Done plenty of tough 4 x 4 work in the early days.Thanks for the heads up.Done about 43000km's.

cheers
    Bruce

2007 Sport Wrangler Unlimited with Alterations
    1998 Isuzu Double Cab
    2009 BMW 120d
    2015 BMW F800GS
    2015 BMW R1200GS LC
    All things Nikon

Default Ratios

Thanks JDev, did yours come with those ratio's?
    Previous Jeeps:

Thanks JDev, did yours come with those ratio's?
    Yes, I suppose it was a "custom" order. It got 4.10 ratios, aircon, tinted windows and as a "Sport", which I think don't usually have those items as standard.
    Oliver Wendall Holmes

Johan (ZS1JV, M0ZJV)
    2007 JK, CRD (SOLD)

Angry Jk Manual

Hi All
    I own a 2008 crd 6 speed
    Previous turbo diesels were, Isuzu 280dt no problem, Ford 2.5 td great, Colt 2.8 Pioneer, fantastic and Pajero 3.2 DI-D SWB the best. Then I bought a Jeep JK 2008 CRD 6spd from Jeep Menlyn, 79000 on the clock with a supposedly full service history......nogal UK spec.

On the clock now is 85500 km
    Since I bought had to do under warranty-turbo boost pipe, new clutch,all the pulleys in front, steering box, rear pads, clutch slave cyl.

Best looking car of all but the biggest load of crap that i have ever bought.

I have a Mission offroad trailer with a weight of approximately 650km and I am battling to tow it.
    I wanted to buy a vehicle for all conditions, including going to for example Nam, but won't go out of city bounderies with this one.

With every problem I went to the agents, I was told it is normal at first, but eventually they replaced. Every day I get into it I wornder what is next.
    With my previous vehicles whenever I had an issue, I was able to identify more or less what was wrong, but not with this one.

Next week I am going to the Kruger for two weeks, wonder if it will last?
    Last edited by JohanJeep; 2011/06/19 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks JohanJeep,

Im sorry to hear that you have problems, I dont have any other problems besides my ratios being too high. Its a design flaw, the manual should have been sold with lower ratios than the auto, the manual also has 410nm of torque and the auto has 460nm and a torque converter. I also had an issue towing, once the vehicle is moving its no problem, but the initial takeoff from standstill burns the clutch, especially driving in sand.

Hope your Jeep comes right, i love my Jeep, just want Chrysler to fix my ratios.
    Previous Jeeps: