Midas 96% Anti-freeze any good?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Midas 96% Anti-freeze any good?

For some reason the normal spares shops like Midas/Autozone etc don't seem to carry 96% from the reputable brands like Caltex and Castrol anymore but Midas sells their 96% summer antifreeze for R50/1L after discount, does anyone have experience with it, is it decent, is it a long life AF?

Anyone know who packs it for Midas?

Default Re: Midas 96% Anti-freeze any good?

I use it in the farm bakkie with no problems
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

96% is too much . Do not use more than a 50% mix. A high concentration antifreeze diminishes cooling effectiveness. ( heat transfer)
    Use Castrol Radicool SF, it is Hoat and only need o be changed every 5 years.
    Yes, i used Autozone antifreeze for years.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2018/02/09 at 07:13 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    96% is too much . Do not use more than a 50% mix. A high concentration antifreeze diminishes cooling effectiveness. ( heat transfer)

Err, if the Anti-Freeze is 96% just mix it 50% with water.

And how do we know what the actual Specific Heat Capacity is of the Anti-Freeze. Some may well be better than others.

In the end - just follow the instructions on the bottle, or RTFM, or talk to your service provider.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Antifreeze is about the protection of the internals of the engine only and not the heat capacity. Clean water has the best cooling properties but, no protection properties.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

I cannot remember local products in details. Old times they were called antifreeze and people did not use them because water doesn't freeze in SA. Yeah. Stopped one day loooong time a go near Standerton as I saw some young in trouble. Car over heater. Radiator frozen. I think they call the products different today.

Overseas practically all bottles are marked "Antifreeze" and then there is a mixing recommendation in a table format. Outside temperature - x and how much you put water in for every liter of antifreeze. Practically all of them are sold concentrated. You do get diluted also. So just add water.

When I still was servicing my vehicles I bought these cheaper makes but I did notice that they needed to be replaced more often. I used couple year limits. Rinsed the radiator by removing the pipes. With old cars you could do this. Some new need vacuum pump or something to fill up the system.

I should start changing the cooling systems again. Bulli (forum member) serviced SWAMBO's Neon. Bottom pipe nearly blocked. Other people had not changed the fluid.

So mix it. You should find suitable mix ration on internet. Then replace after 3/4 years.

Antifreeze is alcohol and additives to prevent/reduce corrosion.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Yes, i used Autozone antifreeze for years.
    I'm well aware of the ratio thanks, some say 60 water 40 AF is best for Sa's temps.

I have previously used Castrol Radicool but the 96% doesn't seem to be available anywhere only the premixed which ramps the price to stupid levels when you need to fill a 6L cooling system.

Anyone else with personal experience with Midas 96% Anti-freeze?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/02/09 at 08:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Antifreeze is about the protection of the internals of the engine only and not the heat capacity. Clean water has the best cooling properties but, no protection properties.
    Nee man Pieter. Are you for real. You think we are a bunch of idiots. This is a vehicle forum with extremely experienced and knowledgeable members. This is not a gaming forum for adolescents.

Antifreeze is what it says. To stop the water from freezing, expanding and breaking the engine components, like the block, water hoses and radiator. It has secondary functions like stopping corrosion and lubricating. The correct ratio of antifreeze to water is key.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Fluffy is right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

Back to the question, how good is Midas 96% Anti-freeze.

It's really strange how no one seems to stock the 96% from big brands anymore, I tried 4 spares shops, either only no name/house brand 96% or reputable brand in ready mixed 50/50.

Mechanics don't want premix do they, it's so easy to dilute 96% by just adding the sufficient AF and then topping up with water, purified water if you really want to make life difficult or if necessary because your tap water isnt great.

Quite simple. If it does not have the SABS logo on it, do not buy it. Uncle of mine had a stint with antifreeze at SABS. He had some horror stories of those that did not make the cut. Anyway, I guess that goes for most products and why they are cheap. They do not conform to the minimum spec.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Farquart For This Useful Post:

I only use Toyota or VW spec antifreeze in my engines. Be very careful for diluted AF mixtures. Like Lord Farquart said it can cost you dearly. If an engine have a Aluminium alloy block and or cylinder heads it can corrode with huge repair bills.

Stay in the Manufacturers spec or your specific engine which usually are formulated for their needs

When in my work shop I will take a pic of a neglected Alu intake run on tap water for a few years.
    Last edited by grips; 2018/02/10 at 07:16 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I agree with Grips. I have seen rotted blocks.

I learnt my lesson years ago with the cheap stuff. Within 10k km I had rust deposits inside the radiator cap.
    There is a reason why the real stuff costs more.

My answer to the OP is that I would not risk it.
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

2003 Jeep KJ 2.5 CRD

The reason why they sell it premixed is so that the people in CT don't have to use their drinking water ration to dilute their antifreeze.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquart View Post
    Quite simple. If it does not have the SABS logo on it, do not buy it. Uncle of mine had a stint with antifreeze at SABS. He had some horror stories of those that did not make the cut. Anyway, I guess that goes for most products and why they are cheap. They do not conform to the minimum spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I agree with Grips. I have seen rotted blocks.

I learnt my lesson years ago with the cheap stuff. Within 10k km I had rust deposits inside the radiator cap.
    There is a reason why the real stuff costs more.

My answer to the OP is that I would not risk it.
    I won't use rubbish but I have also learnt many times over somethings are over priced for no good reason, then I noticed on a few old threads people mentioning they use the Midas 96% AF so it would seem it is perhaps good quality. I will check for the Sabs logo on the bottle.

I've only had one response so far with anyone with personal experience with the Midas stuff so the jury is still out.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/02/10 at 11:50 AM.

No SABS logo I can see.
    The label says it's packed for Midas by SABAC(PTY) LTD
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/02/10 at 11:56 AM.

Turns out SABAC is South African Brake Fluid and Coolants (Pty) Ltd and they are SABS approved, not sure if that means all their products are as well.
    This is their website and the valid SABS certificate is down on the right side :
    http://www.brakefluid.co.za/

They have Extended Life Antifreeze Coolant and Multi-purpose, only the Extended life states its aluminium safe and I'll take a solid bet the Midas AF is the Multipurpose:
    http://www.brakefluid.co.za/products/
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/02/10 at 12:37 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I won't use rubbish but I have also learnt many times over somethings are over priced for no good reason,
    Agree with this, but unfortunately in this case the possibe damage (If the product fails to protect) is too severe to to take a chance, IMHO.

I've only had one response so far with anyone with personal experience with the Midas stuff so the jury is still out.
    If you do decide to use it, please update this thread after a few month's usage.
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Alf For This Useful Post:

Used to buy loads of the AF of Midas and Autozone, never had a problem with it, just was very expensive.

Now I make use stuff made by Cummins Filtration, Fleetguard ES Compleat. It comes ready mixed in 20L drums for 600 bucks. It's specifically made for wet sleeved motors to prevent liner pitting, can be used in petrol engines as well. Service life 1 000 000 miles.

Name:  123.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  29.3 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast