Roofrack or trailer??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Roofrack or trailer??

Some advice please.

I drive a Hilux 4L v6 DC.
    Roofrack? - Noise, weight limitations
    Trailer? - cost, fuel, Good space.

Wat is die beter opsie of is dit maar persoonlik.

Dankie
    Skalla

Quote Originally Posted by Skalla View Post
    Some advice please.

I drive a Hilux 4L v6 DC.
    Roofrack? - Noise, weight limitations
    Trailer? - cost, fuel, Good space.

Wat is die beter opsie of is dit maar persoonlik.

Dankie
    Skalla
    Ek glo jy gaan baie opinies kry hier maar vir my is my trailer meer prakties met meer plek en alles is maklik om by te kom

Skalla, for me it would depend on:
    1) number of people
    2) extend of the trip
    3) terrain

On some of the roads in the Kgalagadi they do not allow trailers.

My personal choice would be a trailer. So much easier to organise everything and it would stay dry and dustfree.

regards,
    Tinus

Default Dankie Tinus

Mom, Dad, 5 and 6 yaer old
    Sand in the Kalahari with a trailer?
    13 days, driving from Cape Town

It depends

The last trip I did would have been impossible with a trailer. Three point turns (read 75 point turns) on a narrrow overgrown forestry track are impossible.

If you know you're not going to get into tight situations where the trailer becomes a hinderance, the trailer is much easier. Easier to pack and unpack. You can unhitch and go.

In 90% of situations the trailer wins.
    My advice get both.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2018 Suzuki Jimny -
    2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts
    Platkar - Suzuki Swift 1.4 GLS Auto

Opions differ, I always said I wouldn't tow offroad. As the chance of getting stuck is also higher & getting out is more difficult than without a trailer. You can also not go as many places with a trailer than without (you need to get to camp 1st to setup camp before you can go explore) or while towing through thick sand you would need use far more juice than not towing. On the other hand you are more organised with a trailer but you can buy (or make) a canopy similar to an Alucab.

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

It's often said that its easier to pull than to carry.

Trailer, stuff is much more accessible, trailer can be left behind, easier packing, unpacking, but you have to add the tow element, which can become more difficult. Yes there are some places where you cannot go with a trailer, but just plan you trip around it.

Default Tnx Disco

Lyk my ek sal maar moet besluit

Trailer more expensive but better option.
    Eco trailer ?
    Should I consider Some OME suspension before I get something else?

Lyk my nie geld is hier baie van 'n hindernis nie
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Why not hire a trailer first & try it out?
    If its not going to be used often I don't see the point

Skalla, kry vir jou 'n Echo en 'n roofrack. Echo verhuur trailers (Ruan 012 345 3333) - gaan huur eers een en maak seker.

Ek sal sterk aanbeveel dat jy een of ander suspensie opgradering op jou Lux doen - hy gaan defnitief sak want die standaardvere is nie so lekke nie. Op my vorige Lux het ek 'n ekstra bladveer ingesit en op die huidige een OME - dit werk 100% beter.

Sterkte met die besluit!

Willem Grobler
    Hilux Legend D/C KZTE & Echo 2

Default Viva Pretoria

Dankie Willem
    Ek is 'n ou Pretorianer en dink die raad is goed. Sal sommer 'n Eco huur as ons oor 2 weke Cederberge toe gaan en kyk wat maak die ding.
    Die OME suspensie wil ek graag doen maar sal so rukkie moet wag.
    Groete
    Schalk

A roof tent has one major drawback..... In rainy weather you have to sit in the car. If you have a trailer and a trailer-top tent, you can at least sit on your camping chairs in comfort under the tents awning. It is also a lot easier with small kids who can get bored easily.

Another drawback is leaving the campsite to go out for they day and you get back that night and someone else has moved your chairs and claimed your campsite. This does not happen if your trailer is there.

I started with two dome tents - too much hassle and not much protection from the sun (sitting down for breakfast etc) or in the rain.

Then I graduated to two Technitop roof tents. Much better till we lived through two rainy weeks at Sodwana. Even with a gazebo we were always wet and cold at night.

Then I bought a Desert Wolf Trailer. That was the answer for us. I pulled it through many places, including places in the Richtersveld where we were told that you can't take a trailer. We also plan things so that we leave the trailer at the campsite and do the trails an rough stuff solo.

I kept the one roof top tent and if we plan a trip where we have to leave the campsite for a day or two on a circular trail etc, I can always take the RTT, ground tent and the trailer (that then stays at the campsite). It is an extra schlep but works well.

Space was a major consideration that made us go for the trailer. One thing though, try and steer away from packing stuff into boxes inside the trailer. Try and organise drawers in the trailer, so everything always stays in the trailer. If not, you find yourself always moving boxes in and out of the trailer. Experience has tought me that the box you want is always the one right at the back and at the bottom.

See our trailer here: http://family.webshots.com/album/190715016lzIDGr

Regards.

Malcolm.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Safari_Junkie Guest

Good day...

I am new to this forum.

We have an older Bundu offroad trailer with a Echo RTT. Works great !

Went to Khutse last year September and getting stuck in the sand (alone) is not a joke. BUT is was worth every struggle ito weight, packing and unpacking setting up that huge tent etc.

You have much more options with a trailer, like extended awnings, space for sleeping arrangements, getting dressed standing up etc. Leaving it at the campsite to explore is a huge benefit, in rainy weather it is a breeze as you can stand or sit around under it's awning. (Survived 3 terrible storms in it)

Now : We are busy kitting ourselves out for a BIG trip next winter. 5 Countries. Mozambique --> Malawi --> Zambia --> Botswana and back home.

I will not tow the trailer that far.
    My reasons : The hammering to the vehicle, in my book, is too much !

I drive a Toyota Hilux KZ-TE and it tows like a dream but we opted for a Howling Moon RTT with a custom made Aluminium Canopy. We have our first test with the new equipment end of April in the Drakenberg.

I would agree with the other members : Depends on what you want to do. (The same old question huh )

I now have the flexibility to suite almost ANY safari / trip / camping weekend / fishing trip / quick getaway......

Regards

Safari_Junkie Guest

Colin you trip to Malawi was actually the inspiration for our big trip

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    A roof tent has one major drawback..... In rainy weather you have to sit in the car. If you have a trailer and a trailer-top tent, you can at least sit on your camping chairs in comfort under the tents awning. It is also a lot easier with small kids who can get bored easily.
    Malcome makes some valid points. I also went through this decision some years ago. If you have a family and you can afford it, trailer is by far the better option, the ultimate in comfort. Only drawback is the towing and places that one cannot get into.

It is only me and the missus that is why I opted for the Howling Moon RTT with the extra zip-on tent. I then designed a system to fit legs underneath the tent and drive out, for when we camp at the same spot for a few days. The area of the zip-on tent is 2.5m square (I think) and I can use it in case of bad weather. The Howling Moon awning is 2.5 x 2.1m, I have a kitchen in the canopy and under roof. I can basically match all that a trailer has to offer.

The whole lot would take probably take 1/2 hr longer to pitch and pack away than a trailer, but I only use the RTT for one night stop-overs and that's a lot quicker.

This way I'm able to go everywhere and not worry about a trailer.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

And the alumimium squeaks!
    I've slept near Hoffie and either it needs Q20 or he's just too vigorous
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    And the alumimium squeaks!
    I've slept near Hoffie and either it needs Q20 or he's just too vigorous
    At my age it probably needs Q20. It is not the alu but the suspension rubbers.
    Last edited by Hoffie; 2007/04/05 at 06:51 AM.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

I went through the exact same thing in my mind. I decided to borrow two trailers for two trips one trailer had a tent and one without.

I have found that with just the roof rack it is a pain to unload and load it up especially when its 40 + in the sun. I did not have a RTT but I had dome tents and its to much work for me camping with 3 females. (mom and 2 daughters) so I am building a trailer and will be purchasing a Trailer Top tent and the best thing is that swambo has given me permission, I think mainly because in the TTT we slept on a very comfortable queen size (proper) mattress.

Someone gave some very good advice, "borrow or rent a trailer with tent and try it out", you will not look back.

good luck.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Hoffie.. I like your idea of the RTT with legs so you can moove your car... Can you post pics? Do you sleep up there with or without the car under the tent?

Cheers
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast