Is this the form we need?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Default Police Clearance Certificate

Johan, it looks similar to yours.

So,
    maybe the data below should be made a 'Sticky'...

Procedure for obtaining a Vehicle Clearance Certificate for Travel to Zim & other African countries.
    1. Take your i) Passport, ii) Drivers's License, iii) Vehicle Registration Docs
    2. Go to the licensing Dept (Civic Centre, Station Rd in the case of RDPT).
    3. Queue (need to comlete no forms at this stage).
    4. They will issue you with a form - very brief document.
    5. Complete it.
    6. Hand it in.
    7. They will issue with a RPC form (completed by their printer).
    8. You take the RPC & the vehicle concerned plus items i), ii) & iii) above to your local VINN, Vehicle Inspectorate (an SAPS function). (In the case of Roodepoort it is in Van Eck St, Chamdor).
    9. You pull up in the queue to have the vehicle inspected. Stay in the vehicle.
    10. When it's your turn, hand them the documents & open the bonnet (or hood if it's a Jeep).
    11. Once they have finished, they hand you the Inspection Form they completed, plus your RPC.
    12. Take the Inspection Form, RPC, Passport (I'd also carry the Registration Docs - just in case)... & go queue in the office.
    13. When it's your turn give them the PRPC, Inspection form & Passport.
    14. They process the paperwork & give you back your Passport.
    15. You then wait.
    16. They call you buy name, give you two sheets of paper.
    17. You take the papers (basically an approved clerance document) back to the licensing Dept.
    18. You queue again, hand in the papers & within a minute you get handed your Vehicle Clearance Certificate.
    The process can take as little as 2 hours, but may be longer. I took 4 hours due to not knowing the procedure.

There are NO costs involved i.e. you pay NOTHING.

Thanks for the Feedback Manny.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Thanks for the Feedback Mad Manny. Just one question - how long before your trip should you get this clearance certificate and for how long is it valid? OK, that's 2 questions!!!
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Default Police Vehicle Clearance Certificate

Spook, I would NOT leave it for the week you're leaving like I did,
    maybe start at least 2 or 3 weeks before you depart.
    You never know when these guys will go on strike or something.
    There is NO mention of validity, but along the bottom it says 'Information as at 2011-06-08 11:41:04".
    For next years Zambia trip, I'm just going to Tippex out the '1' of 2011 & change it to '2' for 2012, make a copy & use that...
    Stuff it!

Manny, thanks again for all the info. We will need the clearance as we will be going through the Kariba Border Post and I understand from other postings that they are very difficult.

You know that your vehicle is now seen as exported and that you won't get a licence notification or will be able to renew the license. Once back you need to reverse this. It is one big schlep and I have never done it. I can't think that everybody that goes into Africa goes through this everytime or is this now something new? We have visited all countries up to Tanzania except DRC and never needed anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    You know that your vehicle is now seen as exported and that you won't get a license notification or will be able to renew the license. Once back you need to reverse this. It is one big schlep and I have never done it. I can't think that everybody that goes into Africa goes through this every time or is this now something new? We have visited all countries up to Tanzania except DRC and never needed anything like this.
    Pierre, no this is not correct!
    A police clearance is a police clearance and not an application for the export of a vehicle which must be completed by filling in form IE362 issued by ITAC for which a police clearance is also needed. Only once all permits are issued they will issue a SARPCCO permit which is the actual export permit and results in your deregistration from the E-NATIS system and this process takes up to a week to complete.

Like everything in life it is your choice to get a police clearance for your vehicle if you want to travel outside of the SACU borders. If it so happens that you are being asked for your police clearance and you don't have one will just add to unnecessary stress whilst on holiday. I know of people that have been refused entry into Zimbabwe because of no police clearance. Zambia has up to now not required you to have police clearance but Zimbabwe is strict on this requirement

I will be going through the motions next week to get my LC exported and will be using a "runner" as I most certainly do not have the temperament for this.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2011/06/09 at 12:13 PM.

I have just completed the first step of mine.
    Very smooth at Krugersdorp License office.
    The form that I attached earlier is actually very similar to the one they give you to fill in, so I think if you go with this form already completed, you will at least save 15 minutes or standing in the Q the first time.
    Monday morning I will go to the Vehicle Inspectorate in Chamdor and then back to the license office for the certificate.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Johan, gaan jy clearance doen op beide voertuig en sleepwa (karavaan)?

As a non-SA citizen, I suspect I should also take proof of residency, similar to the RICA requirement? For RICA, I just took a Telkom bill.

My Defender is registered in my name in SA already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Johan, it looks similar to yours.

So,
    maybe the data below should be made a 'Sticky'...

Procedure for obtaining a Vehicle Clearance Certificate for Travel to Zim & other African countries.
    1. Take your i) Passport, ii) Drivers's License, iii) Vehicle Registration Docs
    2. Go to the licensing Dept (Civic Centre, Station Rd in the case of RDPT).
    3. Queue (need to comlete no forms at this stage).
    4. They will issue you with a form - very brief document.
    5. Complete it.
    6. Hand it in.
    7. They will issue with a RPC form (completed by their printer).
    8. You take the RPC & the vehicle concerned plus items i), ii) & iii) above to your local VINN, Vehicle Inspectorate (an SAPS function). (In the case of Roodepoort it is in Van Eck St, Chamdor).
    9. You pull up in the queue to have the vehicle inspected. Stay in the vehicle.
    10. When it's your turn, hand them the documents & open the bonnet (or hood if it's a Jeep).
    11. Once they have finished, they hand you the Inspection Form they completed, plus your RPC.
    12. Take the Inspection Form, RPC, Passport (I'd also carry the Registration Docs - just in case)... & go queue in the office.
    13. When it's your turn give them the PRPC, Inspection form & Passport.
    14. They process the paperwork & give you back your Passport.
    15. You then wait.
    16. They call you buy name, give you two sheets of paper.
    17. You take the papers (basically an approved clerance document) back to the licensing Dept.
    18. You queue again, hand in the papers & within a minute you get handed your Vehicle Clearance Certificate.

The process can take as little as 2 hours, but may be longer. I took 4 hours due to not knowing the procedure.

There are NO costs involved i.e. you pay NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Johan, gaan jy clearance doen op beide voertuig en sleepwa (karavaan)?
    Spook, Ja ek gaan, ek gaan nie kanse vat nie, jy vul net 'n vorm in vir beide die Voertuig en Sleepwa en vat dan die twee voertuie na die SAPS toe.

My Explorer is tans in vir sy diens en kry hom eers more middag terug, dit is hoekom ek eers Maandag oggend gaan.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Guys do you still need this police clearance even if you have the permission letters from the bank which contain the VIN and engine numbers with the registration papers? Or is this only for when the vehicle is not financed anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post
    As a non-SA citizen, I suspect I should also take proof of residency, similar to the RICA requirement? For RICA, I just took a Telkom bill.

My Defender is registered in my name in SA already.
    You need a Copy of your vehicle's registration papers with this attach form at the Licence office. They did not even ask for identification there.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Quote Originally Posted by THE EDGE View Post
    Guys do you still need this police clearance even if you have the permission letters from the bank which contain the VIN and engine numbers with the registration papers? Or is this only for when the vehicle is not financed anymore?
    Even if the vehicle is financed, my Explorer is financed, I took a copy of the registration papers supplied by the bank.

Take copies, they keep it.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

I have got this from the Drive-Out Magazine RE Zimbabwe:

Clearance certificates:
    Vehicles entering Zimbabwe must have a letter of permission. All foreign

vehicles must have police clearance (

Also for Zambia

Clearance certificates:
    To bring a vehicle into Zambia you must get a temporary import permit
    (TIP) or, depending on the country of origin of the vehicle, a CPD. A CPD is not compulsory, but
    recommended if the vehicle is to remain in Zambia for longer than three months. Your verhicle

must have police clearance. Get it from your local police station.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JohanJvV; 2011/06/09 at 03:21 PM.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Default Police Clearance Certificate

Guys,
    I also heard about the 'regarded as exported' thing, but I made it clear it was a return trip. They said I won't need to reverse the process.

I have also heard that many people do trips & are never asked for a CC, but I heard of a guy that wasted 40mins a roadblock everytime, I took it just to try reduce my holiday hassle factor...

I bought my Fortuner cash (one of my few good habits) so I am taking:
    • Original Registration Document
    • 9 x Certified copies of the Original Registration Document.
    • 3 x un-Certified copies.
    • 6 x copies of a letter from insurer saying vehicle is a) covered in each of the 3 countries & b) will be recovered to SA in the event of a break down.
    • Passport.
    • A few un-certified copies of Passport (just in case).
    • International Driver's license.
    CanAm - they asked for my Passport & Original Registration Document, they did not ask for proof of residence, remember this is a Vehicle Clearance, not a personal clearance (which you also get)...

mfuwefarmer "I will be going through the motions next week to get my LC exported and will be using a "runner" as I most certainly do not have the temperament for this".
    Then how do you deal with border crossings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post

mfuwefarmer "I will be going through the motions next week to get my LC exported and will be using a "runner" as I most certainly do not have the temperament for this".
    Then how do you deal with border crossings?
    Manny, the Zambian authorities are giving me endless hassles with the SA registered vehicle. So I have to export SA and import Zambia but before I can do this I need the damn export police clearnace so that they can do the SARPCCO export documents required by Zambia for import. This can only be done in SA and they must inspect the vehicle in SA. Thats why I am driving down next week, just for the export papers. I will be using an agent or runner to handle the formalities in SA for me. The charge is R1350 and includes clearance, SARPCCO & ITAC Export. I am quiet willing to pay this as I simply dont want to be sent from pillar to post and back ...... daarvoor is my lont te kort!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2011/06/09 at 09:09 PM.

I think the MODS must make a Sticky where we can post all this Border Requirements and how we have managed to comply with it.
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Quote Originally Posted by THE EDGE View Post
    For both cases...I was asked at Zimbabwe (not all border post)
    Also when I exit Nambia to enter Angola (Ruacana) the Namibian Police want to see the Police Clearance and then they check the Engine and Chassis Number on vehicle

Abrie
    -Abrie-

http://www.myjourney.co.za

1997 Land Rover Defender 110 HT 2.8i (BMW M52)
    2009 Land Rover Defender 110 HT 2.4 TDCi(Puma)
    2010 Land Rover Defender 110 HCPU 2.4 TDCi(Puma)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast