B'rakhah Ngonyama

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default B'rakhah Ngonyama

Hi guys

I am thinking of replacing our off road trailer with an off road caravan and can do with some input and feedback. I have been able to find out a lot about the Jurgens Explorer as well as the Conqueror Commander - both on this forum and elsewhere - but good information on the B'rakhah Ngonyama seems to be quite hard to come by. I am looking to buy good second hand so the fact that the B'rakhah is not being manufactured any longer is not an issue to me.

It appears to be an option well worth considering and I would appreciate any feedback or information on them from members - are there specific weaknesses or particularly good points one should be aware of?

Look forward to hearing from you - thanks!
    Andre

Discovery 4 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

Don't know if it will help but the guy running Imagine trail van co was part of B'arakhah
    Margaret

Thanks, Margaret
    Andre

Discovery 4 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

bump..
    Andre

Discovery 4 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

Hi,

I have just got myself a 1999 B'rakhah Ngonyama in fairly good condition. There is some work needed as the coupling was damaged on a trip to Tanzania and the leaqf springs look like they are sagging just a little.

Does anybody out there have some advice on getting the leaf springs overhauled and what I should be looking out for.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Contact Pretoria Spring Sales (012 3277236) in Zeiller Str Pta-West or Van Zyl's Spring works (012 326 3687) in Vermeulen str. Pretoria CBD.

What does th erest of the B'rakhah look like?? What price did you pay for it??

Hi Andre,

I own a Brakhah Ingonyama myself, 2003 model, and is a very nice camper, no wood to rot like the Xplorer. Loftus from Ngonyama Rentals posted a fred a couple of years back with the advantages and disadvantages between the Xplorer and Barkhah. He basically come to the conclusion that he prefer the Brakhah because of its lower maintenance, but must also say that they broke an axle of a Brakhah in a tour group. The later models were then made stronger, I think from 2003 model?

I would not sell my camper for an Explorer, the only drawback for me is the fact that the fridge is not sliding out, compared to the new Kavango and Explorer. I also own a second 80L NL fridge and use it in the tent. I have 3 x 125W solar panels installed on the roof with the very capable power system installed from Pieter Barnard Products.

It is really not a problem to have a Brakhah, even though they closed business. Gideon from

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeu For This Useful Post:

Sorry, pushed the wrong keys.

Gideon from Imagine would be able to assist, don't know about body parts, though.

Greetings

Nico

Hi Nico

Thanks for your feedback. How long does it take to erect the awning and the bathroom tent seeing as you need to feed it into beading as opposed to the method that the other 2 manaufacturers use where the awnings are permanently fitted on the side of the vans? I amagine it cannot be too much of a hassle?

Thanks
    Andre
    Andre

Discovery 4 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

Hi Andre,

You are correct, you have to feed it into a beading but is not a big hassle, because you do not have a high roof, the van is lower than normal vans, so you do not have to use ladders to feed this into the beading. One could also manufacture a tent to be installed permanently in the beading with its poles, like the Explorer, will then be easier when setup camp.

My problem is with the fly sheet over the front bed. This is very high; I climb on top of the bottom part of the bed to feed into the beading on the front part of the roof. It is a bit difficult to install when standing on the A frame.

I still have the white (looks like plastic) tents that Brakhah issued, these are very heavy and difficult to work with, but it cleans like a dream, you just wash it with a broom and soap. I would like to change to canvas flysheets. I think it is just light and easier to work with.

Greetings

Nico

Hi Herbie,

Just to make it easier for you, I still have the original phamflet with all its dimensions. I shall scan for you, tomorrow in my office and email, if you like. PM me with an email adress.

Greetings

Nico

Hi Herbie,

I took the liberty to attach Loftus comparison, below:
    Off Road Caravans Comparison - Commander, Xplorer and B’rakhah Comparison

Monday, August 4th, 2008
    The following represents the view point of Loftus at Ingonyama Rentals in SA during July 2008 who has all 3 caravan brands as part of his rental fleet (both old and new). All have been rigorously used and tested in the SA terrains that these vans were inevitably built for. Unsure what year/model/spec of each vehicle brand that Loftus compares but should be useful information for anyone interested none the less but please assume details relate to the latest models. Information has been provided without prejudice. Loftus has advised that the manufacturers hate it when comparisons are made between them. Being in the UK, it is not possible to see these caravans in the flesh so we reckon this information will be really useful to many. If you believe any details to be incorrect, please let us know so we can rectify. Out of the 3, Loftus recommended the B’rakhah to us based on being the one requiring the least maintenance for our travel requirements. Needless to say we purchased a 2nd hand Xplorer by rare chance as it became available in the UK and are very happy with it. Loftus had provided us the following information on the basis of us purchasing from him initially. So if you are in the market for a second hand off road caravan, contact Loftus and say we recommended you! The least we can do!

Sleeping Arrangements
    Mattresses on all 3 caravans are very comfortable.
    Commander - has one double bed plus two single beds or a double bed inside. Double bed awkwardly shaped for linen.
    Xplorer - has a double bed inside and a small double bed on the nose section suitable only for children which Loftus believes wasted space (Anne and Andrew say - we disagree however as have children and the solution appears ideal for our purposes though we would re-think if adults expected to sleep in this area – recommend testing as unsure of length in this area).
    B’rakhah - has a double bed on fold out and a double bed inside.

Chassis, Caravan Weight and Construction
    Commander – Powder coated, steel sections 970kg. Powder coated steel plates. Roof – metal. Roof covered inside with condensation sheet.
    Xplorer – Galvanised – mild steel beam sections 1165kg (heaviest of the 3). Compressed wood panels covered with aluminium. Roof – fibre glass
    B’rakhah – Stainless steel – ladder type 835kg (lightest of the 3). Aluminium frame covered with aluminium plates. Roof section from fibre glass

Kitchen
    Commander – slide out system on rails – stove on door which is awkwardly positioned on door so cannot close at night unless folded up and disconnected from stove. Fridge slides out on same rail – useful feature. Water connected from outside. Frequent problems with stove – high pressure unit. Neat drawers for cutlery and crockery
    Xplorer – Stove and pots and pan unit altogether. Stove low pressure unit – works effectively. Hot and cold water tap forms part of system. Normally works well.
    B’rakhah – Slide system on rails with cutlery inside cover. Low pressure stove. Two drawers with packing space for pots and pans

Electric Supply, Batteries and Solar System
    Commander – power distribution system suspect. It seems that it does not charge batteries properly. Provision for 220v supply and distributes it to internal 220v plugs. 12volt system supplies via batteries to 12v lights and fridge. 2 external hella plugs. 4 internal lights. Need extra lights for outside. Provides 12v also to geyser for start up of gas. 220v Supplies electricity to geyser when 220v is available. Batteries – 2 x 70amp deep cycle. Solar system – not supplied. Brad Harrison plugs which serve as external charging using vehicle’s alternator to charge batteries - not supplied. Wiring for 12v charging inadequate. We have modified our Commanders to accept proper 12v charge. We changed charging cables to 16sq.
    Xplorer - Power charging system effective. Also have 220v system like Commander. More or less same geyser system as Commander. 3 external 12v lights – low power consumption. 4 internal lights. Batteries – 1 x 105 deep cycle. Solar system – not supplied. Brad Harrison plugs which serve as external charging using vehicle’s alternator to charge batteries - 50amp with 16sq cables supplied – standard fitment.
    B’rakhah – 220v supply same as Commander. Power distribution most effective of all the caravans. Adapted to solar power unit. 2 external hella plugs. Lights inside door supply lighting for outside as well. Charging system very effective to charge two batteries. Batteries – 2 x 105 amp deep cycle. Solar system - Optional. 120 watt system available to maintain battery charge; Electrical system adapted for solar – controller fitted. Brad Harrison plugs which serve as external charging using vehicle’s alternator to charge batteries - 50amp with 16sq cables supplied – standard fitment.

Cupboards
    Commander - one clothing cupboard with hanging – we find this useless as clothes fall off hangers when travelling off-road. Shelves would be better. Lots of small shelves covered with canvass. No Packing under bunkers.
    Xplorer - One large clothing cupboard with two wooden doors – we changed ours to take 4 shelves. Grocery cupboard with 2 wooden doors. 4 linen cupboards – single shelf. Limited packing under bunkers.
    B’rakhah - Exactly the same as Xplorer – only difference 2 single shelves for linen. Lots of packing under bunkers.

External packing
    Commander - 2 drawers – limited space. Limited rack at back. Useful feature- takes spade and axe
    Xplorer – Nose ample space
    B’rakhah - Nose 400 litres – most of all the caravans. Rack at back with spade.

Shower Cubicle
    Commander - attached to side. Needs separate pipes and to be tightened with loose ropes and pegs. Floor loose – can be muddy. No mirror or lights.
    Xplorer - Supplied – loose rubber mats supplied. Loose mirror unit supplied with loose basin containing handheld shower head. Electric taps. Very useful shower awning - easy to erect no ropes or pegs necessary.
    B’rakhah - Slide in system. Very well designed floor attached to unit. 5 loose pipes gives support to cubicle without extra ropes and pegs. Showerhead and mirror and wash basin in [onto] door.

Fly Sheets
    Commander - Supplied = fixed unit. Protect fold out bed-tent.
    Xplorer – none (Anne and Andrew say - but we got one somehow on our model to use with main awning even though no fold out bed tent on our model)
    B’rakhah - Supplied – slides in. Protect fold out bed-tent

Awnings
    Commander - Ripstop canvass – fixed – must use pipes and ropes and pegs to keep upright. Side walls available to for tent. Outside bags prone to UV and sunlight – they perish quickly.
    Xplorer - Ripstop – uses 4 pipes in unit. No ropes or pegs necessary. Side walls zips on, very useful feature as this becomes a tent. Bags same problem as Commander.
    B’rakhah - Supplied – slide in type. Stored in nose cone. Some caravans have lightweight material [parachute material] other have ripstop. Needs pipes to erect and ropes and pegs to keep upright. Separate tent for outside available.

Wheels, Axles and Brakes
    Commander – Wheels 245 x 15. Axles – independent with coil springs and Gabriel shock absorbers. Brakes – run-in brake system and hand brake and each wheel adjusted separately.
    Xplorer - Wheels 245 x 15. Axles - Rubax – no shocks. Brakes – run-in brake system and hand brake and each wheel adjusted separately.
    B’rakhah – Wheels 245 x 15 or 16’. Axles - Burquip with blade springs and Gabriel shock absorbers. Brakes - Run in brake system and hand brake and each wheel adjusted separately.

Trailer Plug
    All use 7 pin international

Lift up roof
    All gas strut assisted

Fridge
    All are compressor type 12v and 220volt. Danfoss compressors.
    Commander – 80L National Luna 220v/12v.
    Xplorer
    – 80L Zero or Minus 40: we have replaced ours with 80 litres NL fridge (Anne and Andrew say – our model has a non-working 65L fridge in situ – thinking about replacing with already previously purchased brand new 40L Engel)
    B’rakhah – 80L National Luna or Waeco

Geyser and Gas Supply
    Commander - 220v or gas. Geyser suspect – gives us many problems. Loose coupling for shower and kitchen. Couplings for 2 x 3/4.5kg LPG gasbottles. In nose.
    Xplorer - The same type as Commander. Plumbing inside for shower or kitchen. Couplings for 2 x 3/4.5kg LPG gasbottles. In front (Anne and Andrew say – gasbottles are situated alongside 2 x 20L water bottles in nose of our version)
    B’rakhah - Only gas. Junkers or Totai. Works effectively under all conditions. Shower coupled but kitchen not. Couplings for 2 x 3/4.5kg LPG gasbottles. In front.

Jerry Cans
    Commander and Xplorer – 2 brackets
    B’rakhah - 1-2 brackets. Ladder system supplied to climb onto back. Only caravan with this feature.

Tables
    Commander - Large table for use outside plus centre piece of bed can form inside or outside table
    Xplorer - Two tables. We’ve changed the clip on outside table to one standing alone on its own legs. Inside table on only some units mainly from 2007 (Anne and Andrew say – looks easy enough to fit a table if none exists which is what we plan to do
    B’rakhah - Large table for use outside plus centre piece of bed can form inside or outside table.

Water Supply
    Commander - 180 litres. Pressurized pump – one tap unit. One gravitation tap . no guage to tell how much water in tanks.
    Xplorer - 100 litres. Pressurised pump [small unit]. Water gauge available (Anne and Andrew say – we have 2 x 20L in nose of vehicle. Loftus refers to newer models where a combined single tank is now situated at rear of vehicle)
    B’rakhah - 140 litres- Pressure pump. Two taps. One gravitation tap. Monitor tells voltage, charging system and water gauge.

Interior Design
    Commander – canvas all over. Very military like. Woven carpets. Impractical in sand.
    Xplorer - Best interior design and layout neat. Ethnic print. Novilon flooring – easy to clean (Anne and Andrew say – Loftus most definitely refers to later models as our 1999 model very dated units and lino flooring but still all easy to clean and usable – however nothing glamorous about our version as all and could do with an update of some kind
    B’rakhah - Second best interior design. Animal print. Novilon flooring – easy to clean

If anyone has any further information, would be glad to hear from you.

I have a 2004 model. Very happy with it if you consider weight and price compared to Explorer. The bed inside is not a double, more suited for kids. The tents take a while to erect. The shower cubicle is big and the gas heater system works very well. I add another NL 80l next to the one inside which gives you plenty of capacity, especially when in Moz. I would have preferred more plugs (only one) inside. I did add more. Pleant of packing space.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi,

Nice looking B'rakhah you have Mozibite. What else have you changed on your camper? please show photographs.

Greetings

Nico

Not much really, added axe bracket at back. Jerrycan holders on the back rack. The best addition was the extra bracket on the frame for the Rocky Jocky as can be seen on the pics. No more "war talk" amongst the family to manoeuvre or move the van.

Another useful feature which the later model's came with is the drop down wood rack that fold's up against the rear of the van when not in use. Very useful/practical for wood and the transport of other difficult item's (wet groundsheet's etc).

I also prefer the front tent on the Brakhah, it take's a little longer to install the 3 pole's than some of the newer van's on the market, but it is much higher, which make's it cooler and provide's more space for the occupant's.

Fitted an aircon earlier this year, with some luck you may even get to see the pic's!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	101251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2313.jpg 
Views:	2743 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	101252  

Hi Mozi,

Funny, but I also have a Rocky Jocky to assist, my Jocky's engine packed up, though, will have to replace.

Hi Paul,

Who did the air con installation on your camper, looks very neat? I would like to install an air con, but will install the compressor on the roof rack at the back. I also need the stainless "hood" over the geyser, mine doesn't have one installed and can get hot on top, almost directly under the bottom of the bed. I also wants those spring steel extensions x 2 to use on the side of the fly sheet over the front tent, currently I am making use of two poles (bought it like that).

Thanks for sharing, guys; I will also post some pictures.

Regards

Nico

O, by the way, I wanted to ask, who's got a full tent for their B'rakhah? My wife doesn't like the rally canopy and I agree, it is way too small.

Greetings

Nico

Some information sent to Herbie.

More specs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast