Garmin Quest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Quest

JeepOnly Guest

Default Garmin Quest

Two questions.
    1. Second hand Garmin Quest for R2500,00. Is it a good buy ?
    2. And is there any way that I can check or verify that it is not a stolen unit ?

If it is a SA unit then R2500 is a "steal". Get the serial no first, contact Avnic.

But remember it might be a USA based unit, you can get those on BidOrBuy for R2899.00. Then it will be without maps, and USA based warranty.
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/I...radeId=3433761

What will it cost to get the SA maps??
    Gordon Nolan
    Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 80series 4.5EFI GXL Fully locked and 35's!!

There's no action without traction!

No SA maps included. Can be bought from
    www.GARMIN.com between R700 and R1700
    Chris Meistre

JeepOnly Guest

How much should I be paying for a car charger for a Garmin Quest and also a bracket to hold it ? I assume these would stick to the windscreen like most I have seen ?

New maps (SASM vers. 1) will cost you about R2000 unless you have a valid mapping software key, in which case you buy the Migration CD for R39.90 and upgrade from versions 3 or 4, details on the migration CD.

The rubber suction cup holder & speaker/cigarette lighter power cable runs at R620 + VAT.

A new QuestSA costs around R5600.00, VAT included, and includes all those accessories.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

JeepOnly Guest

Thank you for the detailed response Eric. I will go have a look at the unit tomorrow and call Avnic from there in the hopes that someone will be able to confirm over the telephone that it is not a stolen unit and that it has the required key numbers etc, otherwise it may not be such a big bargain to buy this Quest after all .

Quote Originally Posted by JeepOnly View Post
    Thank you for the detailed response Eric. I will go have a look at the unit tomorrow and call Avnic from there in the hopes that someone will be able to confirm over the telephone that it is not a stolen unit and that it has the required key numbers etc, otherwise it may not be such a big bargain to buy this Quest after all .

I'm not so sure that Avnic would know that it's a stolen unit, unless someone reported the serial number to them as being stolen. They could, however, inform you whether this is a "grey" product or not.

What seems strange to me is the fact that it is being sold without the accessories, viz. the 220v charger, cigarette lighter cable & speaker, etc. If there is no legal mapset being sold with the unit, then you would have difficulty in upgrading to the migration CD version of SASM as well. Could turn out to be not such a bargain if you have to buy all the accessories as stand-alone units.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

JeepOnly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    I'm not so sure that Avnic would know that it's a stolen unit, unless someone reported the serial number to them as being stolen. They could, however, inform you whether this is a "grey" product or not.

What seems strange to me is the fact that it is being sold without the accessories, viz. the 220v charger, cigarette lighter cable & speaker, etc. If there is no legal mapset being sold with the unit, then you would have difficulty in upgrading to the migration CD version of SASM as well. Could turn out to be not such a bargain if you have to buy all the accessories as stand-alone units.

-F_D
    The person that I can buy the unit from showed it to me at his car audio shop and insisted a customer came in and simply swopped it out for a incar DVD system, and has no problem that I even take the unit to Avnic to try and ensure its not a stolen or grey product. I also find it a little suspicious that it's just the unit in a its little leather carry bag without charger etc.

Just so that I understand correctly, for the mapset to be legal or SA registered, does it mean I have to receive an actual CD or documentation with the unit, or is it a simple registration key that forms part of the software that may be on the unit ?

I have no problem buying the car kit for R600 plus, but if I need to then still pay R2000 plus for software etc, I will rather go buy a new unit from Makro if they do not burn down before I can get there

You'll need to activation keys for the maps.

JeepOnly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amaDisco View Post
    You'll need to activation keys for the maps.
    Ok, I understand I need activation keys which I assume are similar to normal software activation keys, Am I correct ? And if correct, I am trying to understand if the keys are perhaps recorded on the unit, or will it simply be a seperate key I need to feed in when I attempt to upgrade the software on the unit ?

When you speak to Avnic, they should be able to tell you the Unlock Code for the installed mapset and what version it is. You will have the Quest serial number, and Mapsource will provide you with the Unit ID. That information will be sufficient to see what an updated SASM version 1 will cost, if you decide to install it.

I would suggest that the Dealer contact the original owner for the missing peripherals, after all, what is he going to do with them anyway, without his GPS?

I think the asking price without all the above and the accessories is a but high, especially if it has an old version 3 mapset installed.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

4ePajero Guest

JeepOnly,

This is how Garmin (and Garmap) maps' copy protection works:
    • Each GPS has an Serial No. From this, Garmin generates an GPS ID No.
    • Each copy (CD/SD) of the map set has a Serial No.
    • Because the Garmin/Garmap license agreement allows the map set to be installed on only one GPS, they use the GPS ID and the Map set Serial No to generate an unlock code. This is done at the dealer/agent or on-line (web site).
    • The GPS and Map set are now irrevocably "married". The map set can not be used on any other GPS.
    • This "marriage" is stored in Garmin's data base and any subsequent attempts to generate an unlock code for that map set will fail.
    • The unlock code is typed into the Mapsource Unlock Wizard (on your PC), which will "unlock" the maps, to be used in Mapsource (the PC-based) mapping software, which will transfer the maps to your GPS/data card.
    Hope this helps. It took me a while to "click" how it works. I had mega-problems when my GPS broke and was replaced, after I had "unlocked" the maps!

JeepOnly Guest

Thank you very much for all your efforts to assist. It can obviously not be described as a very userfriendly process, but assume once everything works it may be fine ! It's actually Simon.B's fault because he was forever going on about Tracks4Africa, and now I also want T4A

I have in the meantime obtained the Actual serial number for the unit, and also the Unlock code and from this info was able to establish from Garmin that the unit is loaded with SASM3 and that it will cost a further R741,00 plus R39,00 for the CD which will then be the latest and greatest version.

I am actually going to try and get the unit for a less (Say R1800 - R2000 ) or rather just leave it and buy a new one at a later stage.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    JeepOnly,

This is how Garmin (and Garmap) maps' copy protection works:
    • Each GPS has an Serial No. From this, Garmin generates an GPS ID No.
    • Each copy (CD/SD) of the map set has a Serial No.
    • Because the Garmin/Garmap license agreement allows the map set to be installed on only one GPS, they use the GPS ID and the Map set Serial No to generate an unlock code. This is done at the dealer/agent or on-line (web site).
    • The GPS and Map set are now irrevocably "married". The map set can not be used on any other GPS.
    • This "marriage" is stored in Garmin's data base and any subsequent attempts to generate an unlock code for that map set will fail.
    • The unlock code is typed into the Mapsource Unlock Wizard (on your PC), which will "unlock" the maps, to be used in Mapsource (the PC-based) mapping software, which will transfer the maps to your GPS/data card.
    Hope this helps. It took me a while to "click" how it works. I had mega-problems when my GPS broke and was replaced, after I had "unlocked" the maps!
    Just to add here... You can unlock mapsets using the same unlock code on several PC's (and Garmin's licence acknowledges this is OK). This means you can use Mapsource and the maps on your PC at home and on your Laptop. It's just that you can only download maps to the same GPS for which you unlocked the maps.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepOnly View Post
    It's actually Simon.B's fault because he was forever going on about Tracks4Africa, and now I also want T4A
    Glad I could help

But seriously if your GPS is aimed for outdoorsy stuff and you don't need autorouting and address searching then T4A is the best/only choice and at R600-odd for their entire mapset, it's a bargain. And add the R350 for the madmappers Topo maps you have got everything.....

And if you can get the GPS for as cheap as you seem to think you can then go for it...
    Last edited by SimonB; 2007/05/03 at 01:09 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

JeepOnly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Glad I could help

But seriously if your GPS is aimed for outdoorsy stuff and you don't need autorouting and address searching then T4A is the best/only choice and at R600-odd for their entire mapset, it's a bargain. And add the R350 for the madmappers Topo maps you have got everything.....

And if you can get the GPS for as cheap as you seem to think you can then go for it...
    I will actually be using the unit much more during normal everyday driving and therefore need auto routing etc, but certainly also want T4A which I may only use twice a year. This is a major learning curve at present but in a week or two after I get the hang of "streetmaps, mapsource, T4A, Key codes, Unit Codes, ETC" I will hopefully be helping others understand everything you are forcefeeding me here now

4ePajero Guest

Simon,

And add the R350 for the madmappers Topo maps you have got everything.....
    Do you use the Topo maps on the Garmin GPS or on the PC (Ozi)?

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Simon,
    Do you use the Topo maps on the Garmin GPS or on the PC (Ozi)?
    Gerhard

The Madmapper AfricaTopo Maps are in MapSource format, so I just use that.

The only problem I have with Mapsource itself is you can't overlay the maps and view them together....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

JeepOnly Guest

I have now bargained and argued and lied and done everything to get that Garmin Quest for free, and he is willing to take R2000.00 not a cent less. Assuming it is in GOOD WORKING ORDER, and even if I then end up having to buy a charger kit, upgrade the maps etc it comes to around R3500.00 which I believe is a good buy, so unless he changes his mind before I get there I will soon be the owner of that unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast