Garmin Quest - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garmin Quest

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Gerhard

The Madmapper AfricaTopo Maps are in MapSource format, so I just use that.

The only problem I have with Mapsource itself is you can't overlay the maps and view them together....
    I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so see my new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepOnly View Post
    I have now bargained and argued and lied and done everything to get that Garmin Quest for free, and he is willing to take R2000.00 not a cent less. Assuming it is in GOOD WORKING ORDER, and even if I then end up having to buy a charger kit, upgrade the maps etc it comes to around R3500.00 which I believe is a good buy, so unless he changes his mind before I get there I will soon be the owner of that unit.
    This makes good sense, and if the unit is in a good condition, it is the option I would also choose.

Good luck with your Quest!

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Seems like a steal to me (Pun intended)

But you still have to get Mapsource so you need to one or other Garmin or Garmap product...
    Last edited by Ashley; 2007/05/03 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Finger problems

JeepOnly Guest

Well, I am now a happy chappy and have bought the Quest at R2000, and don't feel guilty at all that it may really have been a "steal" as the person who installed the car audio system and paid for part of the install with his Garmen that he claimed he never used, also turns out to be the very same person whose details Avnic were able to match to the unit.

I have all the codes now, but just when I started fiddling with the unit, the battery finally went FLAT, and now I need to wait until tomorrow when I will have time to go purchase a charger and update everything at Avnic.

Not that any of you would care, but this is the first time in my life that I have actually bargained for something and patiently waited and bought it at a price I feel was good. (Is this a sign of growing old, or just growing up )

4ePajero Guest

(Is this a sign of growing old, or just growing up )
    Let's just say that at 42 you cannot be "growing up"!

Hi JeepOnly,

Would it not be possible to track down the original owner and get the charger, car mount, etc. from him for free or at a nominal amount?
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

Land Cruiser HDJ100

JeepOnly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Let's just say that at 42 you cannot be "growing up"!

Also true, but seems it has taken me a little longer than most.

JeepOnly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Loubser View Post
    Hi JeepOnly,

Would it not be possible to track down the original owner and get the charger, car mount, etc. from him for free or at a nominal amount?
    Managed to speak with the previous owner yesterday. He says it was stolen from his car, and that he simply did not want to spend a further R700. to replace it as he never used the Quest. I have however made a temporary plan last night, charged the unit on a friends cradle. Will go buy a charger kit today and update software etc.

Spent until 2AM this morning playing with the unit (I mean the Quest unit) and am totally amazed at the features and accuracy of this thing. I dont have the latest maps, but from comparisons I did with the Nokia map software on my N73 it is clear that even the older Version software on the Quest is Miles ahead of the one that I downloaded and used on my Nokia.

Not certain if the latest Quest software has corrected a few things, but just by accident discovered already that some of the points of interest are very outdated on the SA Streets version I have on my Quest. For example they show a camping ground area at Florida Lake. That caravan park has been closed for at least ten years, and it would be very frustrating (AND DEADLY DANGEROUS) for some guy from "Gat sonder water" using his GPS to arrive there late at night looking for a place to sleep over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2