Help with spotlights please

Default Help with spotlights please

Hi everybody.

I have recently install a set of Hella Comet 550 spotlights on my Daihatsu Rocky. The headlights is the normal H4 lamps. I have used the wiring diagram found on this forum. They work fine with the headlights, although I use the top wire of the three wires to power the relay (point 86). The relay is ground on the body from point 85. From the battery, I'm using a 20A fuse, to point 30 of the relay and then from point 87 to the two spots (100W each). The switch given is also installed inside the car. Now the problem is, when I switch on my cars lights, the low beams are working 100%. When switching to high beam, whith the spots swithed off, the low beams does not switch off, the shine together with the high beams. When the spots are swithed on, then the low beams switch off, and only the high beams are on, together with the spots. Could this be a ground problem? Do I perhaps need to connect the relay ground to the headlights ground? The switch inside the car, gets the wire from the high beam wire (to the light picture on the switch), then from the switch (positive picture on the switch) to point 86 of the realay. The switch is ground with the other ground wires inside the car. I'm really not stupid with electricity, but this I cannot figure out why this is happening. Also, according to the wiring diagram, the top wire should be the low beam, and indeed it is, I have tested it over and over again, but when I connect the wires like on the diagram, the spots came on with the low beams, so I put them on the top wire, and now its working with the high beams, that I also cannot understand. I hope all this make sens!!

Can I just add, there was a wire connected to the top wire of the headlamps. The wire was cut and taped closed with the cars headlamp wires, so I assume there was spotlights on the car installed before I bought it.

why is the switch going to ground if you are running the live from the headlamp through it?

I think you have wired wrong....

I usually break the earth to the relay via the switch - leave the signal wire (from the brights wire at the headlight) to go directly to the relay...

its working!!!! the two wires at the swirch was wrong, just turn them around and walla!

Rocky POSSIBLE caues - The Daihatsu is a rebranded Toyota.

Now when I did the spots on my Toyota I also has some issues .... until I figured out that the Toyota does "negative" switching, while other manufacturers use "positive switching". So when you think you have a "neutral" wire it still is a positive ....

The solution was to pick up the power and negative on either side of the globe.