Default The "great windscreen daylight robbery"

How funny that we are all, in some way, like sheep and how easily we can get brainwashed by advertising!

Let me relate my story.... During a recent trip to Cape Town, a stone shot up and chipped my windscreen. The chip was close to the edge and before I had even reached my destination, a crack had appeared and had run along the bottom of the glass. I have always wanted to replace the screen as it was quite sandblasted already, but could not see the need, as it was still 100% intact, but now had the perfect opportunity.

Ok, so I had to replace the screen. Being insured by my employer, we have to pay first and claim back to be reimbursed. Needless to say, where does one go first? PG Glass of course...oh eight hundred...tra, la, la and all that jazz. I asked for a non insurance quote and was quoted for 1 x Subaru Forester Shatterprufe, SABC mark, front windscreen R6394.00 + 1 x moulding R700.00 and installation R608.23, a total of R7702.23 plus R1078.31 VAT adding up to the princely sum of R8780.54

I thought it a bit heavy, so went to another local, franchised installer. His quote was only a few hundred rand less, but he still insisted on replacing the moulding, acquired from Subaru parts, at somewhere in the region of R650.00. The problem however is that the moulding, along with 95% of any other Japanese car maker's spare parts; will take in the region of 3 months, from order, due to the tsunami and earthquake and volcanic cloud, or something bad....

To cut a looooong story short, I got the number of a local private fitment centre. I phoned the contact number I was given and spoke to a Shaun. He said he did not have the price with him, but would call me back. He did...within 5 minutes!

I have just returned from having the screen fitted. It is NOT a Shatterprufe brand name, BUT here's the clincher...it is MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY and bears the SABS mark!

Now for the good news: My account for supply, fittment, removal of the rubber strip surrounding the glass (which was re used, as there was absolutely nothing wrong with it) R1900.00 including VAT!

What are the others smoking?

Lesson: SHOP AROUND! Don't be misled by mass media brainwashing! Shatterprufe brand is NOT the only windscreen with an SABS mark and PG Glass is not the only fitment centre out there....

If it does not say "Shatterpruffe" it is just "Shatterproof" en geen verskil in die difference nie.

I have to replace my wife's Outback 2010 one............................. R12,000! hahaha cannot be serious. There is a place in Joburg that sell a generic for R3k so how do you explain it?
    Groete
    Carl

Now is the perfect time to reveal Shaun's company name and contact number!!
    Johan van Niekerk. I can't spell and my grammar sucks, so deal with it!
    2010 Jeep G/C 5.7 V V T Hemi Overland
    2007 Xplorerhttp://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

They raised my premiums and upped my excess, for just claiming one Forester windscreen!
    Commander XK CRD GDE HOT tjoon - Strong like bull.
    OME, big tires, blah blah

Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

Quote Originally Posted by Stevh0 View Post
    They raised my premiums and upped my excess, for just claiming one Forester windscreen!
    I am just asking. It is not a matter of which Insurance Company is involved.

I am quite heavy on windscreens and the only thing I do is to go to PG Glass, sign a claim form and get the windscreen fitted. They claim on my behalf from Mutual and Federal.
    No excess and no increase in premium.

My insurance only allows PG or Glasfit. Had to replace my D2 windscreen last year at R5500, with me having to pay a 20% excess (R1100), while I could have got it for R1900 elsewhere Fortunately premiums still the same.

Got great service from Glasfit in montague Gardens though, also when I had to replace a front side window broken in a robbery.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Quote Originally Posted by galius View Post
    I am just asking. It is not a matter of which Insurance Company is involved.
    I am quite heavy on windscreens and the only thing I do is to go to PG Glass, sign a claim form and get the windscreen fitted. They claim on my behalf from Mutual and Federal.
    No excess and no increase in premium.
    Me 2
    Same shop... same insurance. No problem....

Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    My insurance only allows PG or Glasfit. Had to replace my D2 windscreen last year at R5500, with me having to pay a 20% excess (R1100), while I could have got it for R1900 elsewhere Fortunately premiums still the same.

Got great service from Glasfit in montague Gardens though, also when I had to replace a front side window broken in a robbery.
    Lucky, the GV got a chip coming back from PE last year... +- R9800 and my excess was R1000

'98 Patrol GL 4500 fully kitted SWB 3.8 V6 Mitsu & Toyota Prado 120 VX with a couple of mods.
    Platcar BMW Z3 2.8i / '81 Motor Guzzi LeMans Mk 3
    Swambo: '11 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI
    Eurard on FAC : Beach driving is NOT driving dunes like those mad hatters of the southern tip side. They take a dune pick it up and put it down in another place.

Be grateful it's not a Nissan Qashqui.

My brother in law had his back hatch window broken on Monday by a client's garden service.

The best price he can get to supply and replace is R 14 500.00

AdrianBarnesPTA Guest

I will NEVER again go through a 'popular windscreen fitment centre', neither will I EVER claim from insurance! I replaced my Pajs winscreen for R650-00 ALL INCLUSIVE!! I kid you not! Its SABS stamped and for my money, Id say just as good as any shatterprufe etc. On a trip to the coast now, I had a flying stone picked up from the vehicle in front of me, and I thought the windscreen would at least have a chip, but there is barely a mark where it it!

http://www.windscreens4africa.co.za/