Mike Rowe (Dirty jobs) testifies before the U.S. Senate - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

I think ChrisF posted the other day that his 3rd year mechanical engineering students were not capable of changing a wheel
    well i have had computer techs with A+ & N+ who could not a tell me the out put voltages of a computer power supply nor how to measure it.
    Doug Norval
    -------------------------------
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.
    HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    In the Western Cape we only have three (or four) Technical High schools.
    I went to one of them, Oude Molen, between 1976 & 1980.
    Doug Norval
    HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Some very good points raised in this thread. I grew up living on a farm and with a dad who ran a workshop so I was watching things being repaired / modified / built and as a result developed a passion for all things mechanical as well as an ability to work on or repair most devices & vehicles. When helping city bred friends or family with things around their houses /cars I have often been asked “how do you know how to …?” More often than not the answer is, my dad taught me or he taught me the principals so I could figure x out.

Which brings me to my main point, I have often thought there is a place for a guys weekend away where they can learn how to change a wheel, tow or jump start a car, clear a drain, plug in a home theatre, the difference between a Phillips & a Flat screw driver etc. In today’s world of I-phones and Blackberry’s the basic skills many guys should know are being lost. Credit to all you dads who are passing on these types of skills to your kids, I will endeavour to do the same with mine. Ok, so my son only arrives next month (our 1st) so I might have to wait a little but I will do so.

Cockroach, I hear you on the “it might be helpful” item, Swambo’s give grief until the item is helpful to fix a problem they have J
    Christ 4x4, credit to you for building into the lives of other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasN View Post
    well i have had computer techs with A+ & N+ who could not a tell me the out put voltages of a computer power supply nor how to measure it.
    Ask any of these "clever " ones to explain subnetting to you. You will be stunned.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Speaking of A++ “qualified” tech’s.
    As I walked into one of our labs there was an almighty flash, bang and the lights went out.
    Turned out that a IT desktop support tech was wiring a plug for a laptop and he had stripped almost 2cm of wire and the crossed all three inside the plug.
    Went bang when he plugged it in and turned it on, even after opening what was left of the plug he did not know his mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Ask any of these "clever " ones to explain subnetting to you. You will be stunned.
    In my best Afrikaans: Liewe hel Henri!! How is it that you just had me learn something about computers!! Always used Subnet-Mask settings without knowing why! Thanks..

And then there is that, without a curiosity to learn no one will learn any new skill.

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

... and teach the boys domestic skills.
    A happy person is one whose arithmetic is at its best when they are counting their blessings.
    2010 3L D4D Fortuner
    D4D 4x4 with a few extras
    Trek 29” Rumblefish.

Some interesting stuff on Mikes site: http://www.mikeroweworks.com

Of om ENIGE Troubleshooting te doen.... vir een of ander rede begin dit ALTYD met die click van die muis.....
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Hey DougN has seen me in this position before.... That's my snot rocket helping change a wheel bearing. She was 18 months old at time of photo! She still loves "helping" Dad because I incourage her to help even if it means taking two hours to find and pack my tools away afterwards.

My point is as long as she enjoys spending time with dad doing things she'll learn what is going on. She won't learn if I don't teach her. My dad taught me his dad, taught him but then I do come from a long line of Trades artisans. Proudly. Most parents these days repair things with the only multi-tool they own (the credit card) and the kids of my generation (the we want it right now, so why shouldn't I pay someone else for it generation) are losing out as a result.

Just my pennies worth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My son of six, has always wanted to help with anything I do on the Landy or be with me in the outdoors. This has shown itself as a good thing in that he knows how to change washers on a tap, rewire a plug, can cook and catches snakes, spiders and scorpions under supervision. I have already asked a mate of mine if my son can work in his vehicle workshop later on (about 12 or so ) to learn the basics, during school holidays. This is not slave labour but a real education.

I look at the kids in his class at pre-school (no grade 0 with me I am old school) some of whom do not know the difference between a cat and a squirrel, or how to plug in an appliance let alone do more constructive things like change a plug etc.

I have never studied further education ( I am a Contracts manager for an Asbestos removal company, very hands on job) and sometime regret this, looking at the big earners and spenders, but on the other hand how many of them can fix a car with a leatherman and some blou draad, or change a plug.

My wife and I once went camping with friends of hers from her school days, most from Constantia area and studying further (lawyers, accountants etc) when I arrived there ( in my 8 year old jetta compared to there 6 month to a year old cars) out of 5 cars 4 wouldn't start and the 5th one could only travel slowly in 1st. After having a beer, It took me 25min to sort all the cars out, most of which had rattled ecu plugs loose on the gravel roads ( Cederberg on the way to Maalgat ± 8years ago) and the one that would only travel in 1st had a small crack in the vacuum advance pipe, simple cut back and replace. No-one there could believe it at the time, they had all phoned parents and alike to help, but being a weekend nothing could be done till monday. This is not to blow my own horn but simply a demonstration of how some practical knowledge will help you out of most problems. p.s. One still thinks I am an Assassin as I own some firearms and a small collection of knives. Sheesh

Consider this, we are breeding a useless generation, the weakest of the weak, this would never be allowed in the wild. How many of you out there, if dropped in the "wilds" of Namibia, Zim, Botswana, would be able to survive and prosper. My wife and I always laugh at the series Survivor. That is not surviving, our idea is to drop contestants in the wilds with a knife and maybe matches, collect them 40 days later, and the one still alive at the end is the Survivor. not who can lie about their granny dieing.

Help your children survive in life, give them a good grounding in all that is practical, be they girl or boy.

Big ups to us 4 x 4 and wilderness parents
    You have not felt pain until you have stepped on a Lego Block.

Ja, like the one that configured a client's main server with a DHCP IP address?
    Doug Norval
    HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Ag PLEEEEZ no, don't go there!!!!
    Doug Norval
    HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Default Esmari

Quote Originally Posted by AUB View Post
    Hey DougN has seen me in this position before.... That's my snot rocket helping change a wheel bearing. She was 18 months old at time of photo! She still loves "helping" Dad because I incourage her to help even if it means taking two hours to find and pack my tools away afterwards.

My point is as long as she enjoys spending time with dad doing things she'll learn what is going on. She won't learn if I don't teach her. My dad taught me his dad, taught him but then I do come from a long line of Trades artisans. Proudly. Most parents these days repair things with the only multi-tool they own (the credit card) and the kids of my generation (the we want it right now, so why shouldn't I pay someone else for it generation) are losing out as a result.

Just my pennies worth
    My meisiekind being shown the ants next to the road on a 4x4 trip this past weekend. We love teaching her about nature, goggas and animals. Can't wait till she can help me in the garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	97560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1206.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	97561  

I wouldn't say my father taught me a LOT of different things (quite a bit on electronics/electrics) but the most important thing he ever taught me was to use my mind ... or as he always said, I must T. H . I . N . K (he used to spell it, which also made me think ) ... my favourite quote sums up my intolerance to most people ... "common sense is not all that common" so true unfortunately.

Oh yes, but on a side note, even though I will teach my children to T H I N K ... I'm not entirely sure I will point them in a technical direction though. As mentioned above, it would seem the harder you work, the less money you get ... no, lying (law), cheating (sales) and stealing (government and or sales) is not hard work :P
    Last edited by rules; 2011/05/24 at 08:27 AM.
    2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
    ex: 2000 Colt Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4 219 000Kms
    Custom Aluminium Hard Cover, Custom Tool box.
    Madman EMS2 Gauge, monitors EGT, coolant level and voltage.

I don't think there is any reason for people to not be hands on therse days. I also thought myself to be a little hands OFF type until I tried.

Read the instruction maunual, read a DIY book, get instruction on the web, etc... My dad also told me to just try anything that needed to be done. This has cost me a few bucks to call in someone to fix my mistakes but it has also saved me megabucks doing something I thought I could never do. With the exception of a small percentage of the population I think we all have the ability to get our hands dirty with some measure of success. Engines are still a mystery to me, electricity usually bites me but that does not stop me poking around and learning something everytime... even if it is not to taste two wires that are still plugged in
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

The school of hard knocks teaches you more than any university will ever do. Have good hands and you'll always have work. Also more opportunities to start your own business which given 'quotas' etc in this country is important.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Can't computers do all things these days? I guess NOT. Kids don't learn these skills unless it can be learned via PSP / WII or Ipod.
    2011 Steed 5 2.5 TCi 4x4
    2010 Echo 4

a True story.

My mate is an electrical supervisor at the local council. He can't get a full time promotion coz he's white and told his supervisors he would fire them because they are incapable of doing the job and consult him repeatedly for advice.

See's the vacancies are finally being filled til he notices that the new employees are not tradesmen but the clerical staff who have attended some 2 weekend course to become electrician and plumbers.

Imagine, Beauty and Precious, gel hair, long fingernails and cellphone are being driven around in the council bakkie by the driver/ labourers to advise and supervise/ attend to the broken drains and electrical shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    While I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above... how many "manual labourer" type dads have said to their kids "I want something better for you my child" and then boasted that their little darlings are at Rhodes/Wits/Stellenbosch etc studying media studies/law/aroma therapy etc... it is the way of the world. Up until a few years ago I also wanted my son (aged 8) to go on to study some "worthy, lofty" path... in the last few years I too have become aware of the basic skills gap and would prefer him to do a trade.
    Quite right Gazza, I once rented a cottage on a farm whilst building a bridge over the Tugela. The farmer there had persuaded his son to go into banking obviously because the farmer had struggled for decades. Now the banks are looking a bit dodgy and the farmers are going to be driving Lamborghinis if the money printing continues.
    1988 County, Lexus 4.0 V8
    285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast