Lusaka to Chavuma

Default Lusaka to Chavuma

Halo,

Can anybody please help...
    We are doing a 1000km expedition in scull boats on the Zambezi river in July to raise funds for Village Water in Zambia. We will start in Chavuma and end in Livingstone. I have a few questions?
    How long will it take to travel from Lusaka to Chavuma. How bad is the roads? (travelling with a not 4x4 overland truck as well as 2 4x4's with boat trailer). Will the overland truck be able to go on the Watopa ferry on route to Lukulu?
    Does anybody know of camping spots at Chavuma, Zambezi town, Lukulu or anywhere between these towns?
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by bushlovin-gypsy View Post
    Halo,
    Can anybody please help...
    We are doing a 1000km expedition in scull boats on the Zambezi river in July to raise funds for Village Water in Zambia. We will start in Chavuma and end in Livingstone. I have a few questions?
    How long will it take to travel from Lusaka to Chavuma. How bad is the roads? (travelling with a not 4x4 overland truck as well as 2 4x4's with boat trailer). Will the overland truck be able to go on the Watopa ferry on route to Lukulu?
    Does anybody know of camping spots at Chavuma, Zambezi town, Lukulu or anywhere between these towns?
    Thank you!!
    I would talk to the people at Liuwa Plains, and people like Piet du Toit at Kabula Lodge about just how waterlogged the roads will still be in July - if the rains have been exceptional, you might battle even with a four wheel drive. You should also read Kingsley Holgate's account of doing that section in rubber ducks - I think they had to do some pretty hectic portages because of thin water, although that may have been further north in the Angolan section of the river. He tells the story in his book "Africa in the footsteps of the great explorers."

Let us know a bit more about your expedition - I was with Kingsley for the section from the mouth at Chinde to Cahora Bassa, and we did it in May when the river was pumping. We still hit sand banks in places - the banks are very shifty.

Thanks Tony!!
    You can check www.rowzambezi.com chavuma-Livingstone
    We have two rubberducks that will be the safety boats to the rowing boats. Hopefully some of the sand banks have wash away with the floods. We also have a team travelling along the river that will be giving support and doing community projects in some of the villages along the way.

I think it is supercool that you got to travel with kingsley on his trip!! Sure you have lot of amazing stories to tell!

Nice trip, watch the crocks!!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by bushlovin-gypsy View Post
    I think it is supercool that you got to travel with kingsley on his trip!! Sure you have lot of amazing stories to tell!
    Yup, we had a lot of fun. I also travelled part of the way with him on the circumnavigation of Lake Victoria.

Re camping at Chavuma, here's an extract from Chris Mcintyre's Bradt guide to Zambia, which I regard as the best guide book on the country. "As in the town of Zambezi, paying your respects to the local police is a wise move, just so that they know who you are and what you are doing in their area. The same goes for the Brethren Missionaries, who will also be able to help you with advice on camping or accommodation. They are found in a large compound up on the hill by the town. They have their own camping spot by the river, which they may allow you to use, and they will certainly be able to direct you to other suitable places."

You might want to try and make contact with Chris - he is currently in Zambia but is UK based. His website is www.expertafrica.com and his email is chris.mcintyre(at)experafrica.com