Tips on Mozambique Malawi route

Default Tips on Mozambique Malawi route

Hi,
    Just returned from a trip in Mozambique and Malawi. We took the route Beira - Gorongosa - Caia - Mulanje - Liwonde - Cape McClear - Bua River - South Viphya - Vwaza - Nyika - Dwangwa - Lilongwe from 27th of July to 20th of August 2011.
    After traveling in Africa for the 15th time: Malawi was really special and friendly. There is something for everybody: relaxing at the lake, hiking on the plateaus, beautiful parks (not many animals, but still more than worthwhile), roads crowded with people, villages and colorful markets. We really enjoyed it!
    1 - Diesel in Malawi. Last two weeks all fueling stations completely empty! Some stations had Petrol. Even the black market is drying up and if you can get it it costs between 2200 - 2700 MKW per 5 liters which is 4 - 5x the normal price. Take additional jerry cans!
    2 - Insurance papers. We had a SA 4x4 rental with all required papers. Still in Malawi we encountered issues at all police road blocks. They required an official insurance document - not a copy - with a signature. Make sure you carry one!
    3 - From Gorongosa, via Caia to Mocuba. We took an alternative route after Caia which is not yet on tracks4africa. It leads you counter clockwise along Mount Gorongosa. A very recently upgraded dirt route which starts just at the end of the market in Gorongosa village, to the right (not signposted). After about 1hour on the dirt route you reach a fork; take the turn to the left (there is only one so you can not miss it). Beautiful route with small villages: really recommended. After that until Mocuba rather good tar road with some potholes. From Caia to Mocuba took 3h and 15 min. The tar alternative is not more than 30 min faster.
    4 - From Mocuba to Mulanje dirt road. First 50 km of this road is being upgraded (will be tar in a year I guess). After that track is getting worse - especially the last 75 km - but you can do the track in 3h 45 min. The border tok only about half an hour without hassle.
    5 - From Rumpi to Nyika: we expected based on the tracks4africa map that the M14 from Rumpi was tar. Turned out to be a rough dirt road which takes 4h to get to Nyika Chelinda camp. Absolutely worth it though!
    6 - Bua river camp in the Nkhota Nkhota reserve which is upgraded in 2010 is a beautiful location. If you can afford a splurge take the island B accommodation with special breakfast table at the river. Astonishing! The tracks4africa route from the M5 is not the best route to get there (starts from Lodzi). Coming from the south you should take the next road to the left which is well sign posted.
    If you are interested in other details you can contact me by mail.
    Regards,
    Tom

Thanks very much for this Tom, valuable detail on routes that members often ask about, but about which there isn't much info. You should let T4A know about the Chelinda route - that road has always been very slow going. The Bua River camp is one of Africa's best kept secrets, an absolutely beautiful spot.

Tony

Default Tips on Mozambique Malawi route

Tom,
    I agree regarding fuel in Malawi, getting worse. Illegal to take fuel in Jerry cans into Malawi without a Fuel Importers permit,
    which you can not really get anyway.
    The poorer an African country gets the more officialdom tries to milk you of your cash.
    Malawi needs regime change urgently.

I recently did the reverse; Cape MaClear - Liwonde - Vila Nova De Frontera - Mutarara - Ferry - Caia - Gorongosa.
    T4A, Garmap & Mapstudio paper map all useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    I recently did the reverse; Cape MaClear - Liwonde - Vila Nova De Frontera - Mutarara - Ferry - Caia - Gorongosa.
    T4A, Garmap & Mapstudio paper map all useless.
    Get the National Geographic African Adventure Atlas - it is rapidly becoming my mapbook of choice for all remote and semi-remote areas.

Default Fuel

Hi Manny,

I was not aware of fuel permits needed in Malawi. We took 100 liter of Diesel in jerry cans from Mozambique. The guys at the border crossing in Mulanje looked in the back of the car, but made no remark....

Regards,

Tom

Default Fuel Permit

Hi tomxtom,

The permit is for "Fuel Storage" - you can google this - a jerry can being regarded as a storage container - not officially, but by association.

You can take fuel in, but should - supposedly - show your permit at the filling station before they may fill up your containers.

We also considered getting this for our trip - see here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=88998, and the sketchy details we had indicated that the permit costs around R300 and takes 3 months to get.

So we decided to just go, and face the problem when confronted with it. Never happened.

I am surprised at the 4 - 5 times pump price you had to pay. We never paid more than a 30% premium, e.g. K400/l instead of K290 for petrol, usually better.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

hi Tomxtom
    Thanks for your advice. We plan to do Gorongosa to Malawi and at the beginnig i thought through Chimoi and Tete....
    One question about your choice: between Caļa and Mulanje, where did you sleep? in Mocuba? We have a camper.
    T4A give another roads between CaĻa and Muljane, at the beginnig the same as you and after turning left before Lua-Lua and through Chametengo, Morire.. 390km 10h.! Do you know this one?
    thanks a lot
    jean michel

Quote Originally Posted by JMM88 View Post
    where did you sleep? in Mocuba? jean michel
    Hi JM, do a search on my name for my Mozambique trip report for just about the only place to stay in Mocuba, Pensao ?? in the main street. No camping except possibly asking the Catholic Church if you can camp in their grounds.

Thanks Tony
    I get it! Great
    jean michel