Malawi Fuel / Insurance

Default Malawi Fuel / Insurance

What is the present situation with regards to diesel availability and price in Malawi.

Also what are the restrictions in bringing your own jerry cans in.

Finally insurance, COMESA no longer available ex AA in SA. Can Third party be purchased at the border?

Going in through Mulanje.
    Owen Shaw
    [email protected]

Get your priorities correct. It is all a our being in Africa. Too often people get their priorities wrong and the bling becomes all important. If you can do it in an old bakkie I have the utmost respect for you. On a bicycle even better!

We travelled through the northern section of Malawi about 4 weeks back and fuel (both diesel and petrol) was very scarce from Mzuzu northwards. Fuel stations would be out of stock for days at a time. I am not sure about the southern portion of the country, but stories we heard seemed to indicate that the shortage was countrywide.

Third Party Insurance was on sale at the bigger border posts. I purchased Comesa insurance in Livingstone which covered Malawi and most of the other countries we travelled through.

I don't think there are any restrictions regarding the carrying of jerry cans and our vehicle was never checked.

Graeme

Default malawi fuel

Hi from Germany
    Yesterday I found an advise in a swiss travelforum. At the moment there is no fuel available in Malawi. BYOF (Bring your own fuel)
    There is also funny prorposal for new Malawi flag
    http://www.namibia-forum.ch/forum/15...he-flagge.html
    Kristina

Hi Tabatwa

We were there for two weeks in May travelling in the south, Blantyre, Zomba, Cape Maclear, Lilongwe and surrounds. We had no problems with diesel. And we filled up as often as we could. There were shortages with petrol at Mangochi, and it seemed like it only lasted a day or two at a time. It has been like that for a long time.

We were very sad that we couldn't get Comesa from the AA anymore. We paid R700 (for 3rd party insurance at Zobue border) and thought that we had been ripped off, but we had no choice but to cough up.

There was never a question asked about our two jerry cans at any border.

Regards
    RSG
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

I was there 2 weeks ago, Fuel is scarce, petrol & diesel.
    But as RSG says, supply is erratic.

The rule in Africa;
    Recharge when there is power
    Fill up when you see fuel
    Call when you have signal.

We paid R540.00 @ the Zobue border for Insurance, we were ripped off,
    should have paid half that, but we'd changed a lot of money @ a good rate with the same clowns so we let it go...

Is third Party Insurance necessary, I have not yet done any overlanding so it may seem like a daft question, I have got local insurance with Cross Country do they not cover the third party
    98' Defender Hardtop 110 (300tdi)
    54' Moto Rumi Formichino (project in progress)
    58' Vespa GS150
    62' Vespa GS160
    66' Vespa SS180
    69' Vespa Rally 180
    69' Lambretta LI150

Hi SK,

Yes, you do need it and we were checked for it. There are many police control points in Malawi, in and out of most small towns and villages, as well as random check points.

Not heard of Cross Country, and not sure if Malawi authorities would be happy with it. However, as said previously, we felt very ripped off at the border re. 3rd party, but had no choice. It smacks of collusion and there is much room for competition in the 3rd party market.

The risk of a 3rd party accident is very real while overlanding, and the kind of stories you hear about people getting taking to the cleaners are hair-raising. I would not enter a foreign country without the minimum of 3rd party cover that is endorsed in that country.

Regards
    RSG
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

You need third party insurance. You will almost certainly have it checked. The main provider is Nico but Prime is another big one. They will have offices (often a little portacabin) at the border.

When I was there 2 years ago it was around 2,000 MKW (100 rand) a month for a Land Rover when buying from an office in town though they will try it on at borders. The first time we bought it at a border we paid 5,000 MKW (250 rand). It may pay to get a quote in advance (you can find the companies online and contact them by email) which you can then wave under the nose of the guys at the border.

Many years ago, the 3rd Party insurance seller at the border post near Chipata, in Malawi tried a scam on me. He classified my series landy as commercial in order to jack up to price. Fortunately, I persuaded him to change his mind.

Paid about R700 per vehicle about 3 weeks ago at Dedza for 3rd party insurance. This does not sound correct to me. Going through there tomorrow and just want to check, some guys pay R700 while others pay MUCH less. Is there something fishy going on there
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....