Zambia to Malawi border crossing

Default Zambia to Malawi border crossing

Iíve planned a Zambia/Malawi trip in August. Around Aug 16th Iíll move from Chifunda Camp in South Luangwa (Zambia) to Rumphi (Malawi) along the way to Nyika Plateau.
    I reckon there are two possible alternatives: a) (longer but probably faster) Chifunda/Emusa/Lundazi, border crossing in Mqocha, Mzuzu and then Rumphi. OR b) (shorter but probably longer in time)Chifunda, Emusa, D103 northbound towards Mbeya, border crossing in Katumbi, Rumphi.

Alternative a) looks like smooth and easy, b) uncertain although the track seems to be there and reliable.

Does anyone made them recently? Which border post is faster? Any clue?
    Many thanks,
    Guido

I completed the border crossing from Isoka along the D103 to Katumbi about a week ago.The D103 is long and rough, but the scenery through the mountains is absolutely stunning. I never found the Zambian border post but came across a very simple Malawian post where all that could be done was stamping of passports and carnets. If you are travelling with a Comesa insurance document and a carnet you will have no problem. You are not able to get a Customs clearance and a Temporary Import Permit or Insurance documents here. I presume that these may be obtained in Rumphi, but you will be stopped at every roadblock and asked for insurance documents. Be prepared for a long day

Many thanks Grmorri,
    very usefull advise....
    At this point, I think to cross the border in Mqocha coming from South Luangwa where it's supposed to be a normal post on both sides.
    I've not got any advise about the track from Emus/Magodi/Mbeya and I don't know what I'd find, so let's stay on the D109.
    Cheers, Guido

Default border crossing between Katumbi and Isoka along M14

hi
    I know that you send your message 9 months ago but ... next june, in 2012, we would visit (with our camper) north Malawi (Nyika N.P.) and after that drive to Zambia. I plan come back to Katumbi (north east of Rumphi) and get to Isoka along M14. Track4Africa give 6 hours from Rumphi to Isoka, what do you think of that? Perhaps it would be better to stay for a night around Katumbi before going Isoka, is it possible?
    thanks a lot
    jean michel

Katumbi is very small and there is no real accommodation available. I am sure that the locals will let you camp.
    The road is fairly rough and slow going and the 6 hours is steady travelling with no real stops. All Zambian border formalities would need to be done in Isoka as there is only a Malawian border post in Katumbi