Central kalahari game reserve:April 2011:trip report. - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Yes, I think 10 liters per person per day would be about the standard. But if you want to shower every day you can also "skep" some water from the various waterholes. This water is of course too salty for consumption. We managed to collect lots of rainwater as supplementation.

One kettle of boiled water is enough to give you a warm shower in a filled green collapsable 5 litre "bucket" type shower or the metal bucket showers in each camp. Just be beware some of these were not functioning so take along one of the above collapsable ones.

Agree that it is important to have a stash of 20 liters(minimum) of drinking water it case you get stranded.

Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Viljoen View Post
    Stan, thank you for all the effort you put into this trip report. Really one of the most comprehensive trip reports that I have read in a long time. Looking forward to any future reports!
    What a wonderful report. I will be doing much of the journey with four other families this August . Daunting and exciting at the same time.

Default Thank-you

Hi Stan,

Awesome trip report, thanks for sharing your experience

Default CKGR bird list

Stan: if you kept a CKGR bird list please e-mail me a copy on: [email protected]

Thanks

John Fincham

Apologies John, unfortunately did not keep a strict list.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Smile Very informative report

Hi Stan

Just wanted to say thank you for this excellent report. I have been referring to this a lot whilst planning our trip in 2014. Really appreciate the time you put into putting this together

Quote Originally Posted by exSApat View Post
    Hi Stan

Just wanted to say thank you for this excellent report. I have been referring to this a lot whilst planning our trip in 2014. Really appreciate the time you put into putting this together
    Same here! Stan, your trip reports really set high standards on this forum. I've been going through this particular report many times during last couple of days while planing our Botswana trip for next August, and each time I find some new useful information.

The thrill of exploring Africa pristine wilderness is not only in going out there, the process of planing it gives me almost as much excitement. And making plans with so much info available from such trip reports is pure pleasure, I must say. This forum really is awesome.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Wonderful TR, feel like I was with you.

I suppose anybody reading this might also be interested in my similar trip report from 2014.

Here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=183540
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Nice report, Stan! You mentioned the addition of a trip to Boteti River and Makgadikgadi and on to Nxai Pan. My son and I just returned from a trip that included those areas and I thought to post some photos and a couple of remarks about that.
    We entered Makgadikgadi from the South using the ferry over the Boteti River to camp at Kumaga. We were the only people in that camp with 10 camp sites. It was a busy first night with a couple of noisy elephants breaking trees around camp. Super clean ablution facilities and excellent camp sites.
    A trip to Tree Island an Njuca Hills and further on to the pans in the eastern parts of the reserve rewarded us with thousands upon thousands of zebras! We encountered 15 odd separate herds – something similar to the wildebeest in the Mara/Serengeti – OK not AS many, but still.... There was a lot of water in the pans that made travelling alone a bit risky, but the bird life was excellent. (Great white pelican, glossy ibis, marabous, white faced ducks, red-billed teals, hottentot teals and lots more)
    We took a leisurely trip along the Boteti river on our way out to the north. Bird watchers can easily spend a day there. (Wattled crane, white faced ducks and all the rest. We also saw a bradfield’s hornbill – a first for me.)

We then went on to the Moremi along a potholeish (new word) road – people were driving all over and sometimes off-road to find patches of tar! Was only for a couple of km’s though.
    Back from Moremi we went up to Nxai Pan. Sandy road (double lane!) to the pan and in the pans the tracks were very bumpy along old dried out mud tracks. Lots of springbok and gemsbok. The tracks towards Khama Khama Pan were smoother – maybe because of fewer vehicles. We camped at South Camp – again clean ablutions and a very nice campsite no 7.
    My honest opinion – stay an extra night at Njuca Hills or Tree Island in Makgadikgadi. Baine’s Baobabs can maybe be included without sleeping over at Nxai Pan.
    I want to say something.... PLEASE do not use these pans to practice or show off your bakkie’s ability to do donuts!! - at least not right in front of a landmark sight. At Baine’s and also at Lekubu the pan along the edges we marred/scarred with unnecessary tracks.
    A round trip from CKGR, Makgadikgadi/Boteti River, Nxai Pan/Baine’s and back via Lekubu can be a very nice 10 day holiday. Then start planning the next trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boteti ferry.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	281180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Makgadikgadi flats.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	281181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirage palm trees.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	281182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Makgadikgadi zebras.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	281183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zebras.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	281184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Makgadikgadi pans.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	281185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marabou lookout.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	281186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boteti birds.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	281187  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Potholeish road.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	281188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandy road to Nxai Pan.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	281189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunset Nxai Pan.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	281190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lekubu sunrise.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	281191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View from Lekubu.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	281192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baine's.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	281193  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Katvoet For This Useful Post:

What a nice trip!!! Boteti area is really a must!!!

Lovely picture with those birds in the front and the palms at the backside!!

Thanks!

Rik

Hey Katvoet, this is a very valuable first post. Thanks for the info! This is the first report I can recall seeing on conditions in the central part of Makgadikgadi National Park during the rains. I am aware of the animal herds present at this time and this is exactly what I would like to experience. Where there many wildebeest? Did you actually camp at Tree Island campsite or Njuca (is it still a campsite), or did you just drive up as a day trip from Kumaga? In either instance how far is it to Tree Island, how long does it take and what is the road like in the wet?

This trip is certainly worth a trip report on its own, can I not persuade you? I would love to see more pics too!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Default Re: Central kalahari game reserve:April 2011:trip report.

Stan, I just saw this report last week. What a fantastic report! We are visiting CKGR 7-13 April 2019.
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gustav Preller For This Useful Post:

I have now read the 2014 report as well. Once again - a masterpiece! Thank you.
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

Gustav, I am confident that little will have changed since those two slightly dated reports. Please report back afterwards and update all of us. Most importantly enjoy your travels through one of the lovliest and most secluded pieces of Africa.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4