Central kalahari game reserve:April 2011:trip report. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the GREAT report, and as other say - GREEN with envy. Have been to the park in 2009 but only for one nights. I CANNOT wait to go back, this time doing just the park for one holiday. Thanks for the great pictures and all the info, you are the reason I love 4x4comm. Guys like you make it all worthwhile.

Thank you for sharing!! super work...... very enjoyable reading full of useful info....

Hi Jean Michel and Madou,
    You ask what I think, I have not been in CKGR in Oct. so can only give an opinion not personal experience. It will be very hot indeed, most days heading to 40C. This is based on the temperatures elsewhere in the region at this time of year. There has usually been very little rain by Oct.

As far as game viewing is concerned, the game is not as easily found as it is dispersed, although those species that are more water dependant can be expected to be found in the vicinity of the permanent artificial waterholes, where underground water is pumped for the animals to drink. The waterholes are at Sunday Pan, Passage Pan, Piper Pan and Letiahau. They are indicated on the map they will give you at the entrance gate. Be sure to ask which are functioning as they are sometimes out of action. People seem to enjoy CKGR at all times of the year, each season has its own highlights.

Perhaps those will personal experience of CKGR in Oct. would care to comment?

Enjoy your trip.
    Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Hi Jean Michel and Madou,
    You ask what I think, I have not been in CKGR in Oct. so can only give an opinion not personal experience. .
    I've been in CKGR in October on a work assignment. Very hot, but completely bearable if you don't mind temps in the late 30s to early 40s. Great for photography, because you get cloud build up in late afternoon, with very little chance of rain although everything weather wise is a bit out of wack at the moment, so anything could happen. There's a fair amount of game movement because the animals are sensing that rain is coming in other areas, so they are starting to move in search of new grass. You need to be patient. Carry plenty of water and spend the bulk of the day under a tree at a water hole or in camp, do your game drives pre-dawn and early morning and late afternoon and after dark.

Hi to All

I have been reading the posts with great interest - particular thanks to Stan for a fantastic trip report. We are planning a CKGR trip from sout to north - roughly as follows :

Khutze
    Xaxa
    Xade
    Pipers
    Sundays
    Deception

I would be most grateful for any advice from the forum - particularly regarding travelling times between Khutze and Pipers. Also anything about logistics, water etc

Thanks

Visiting the CKGR was the absolute highlight of our trip to Bots last year! Thanks for bringing back some good memories, Stan!

Scoot, there is a report or 2 on the South-North route somewhere on the forum. Will see if I can find it. This trip is also still on my list!

Johan
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 (New beginnings!)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Sold - End of an era after 423 Nights over 14 years!)

Hi Stan!

You were spoiled with the animals sightings, I envy you !!!

2 things came instantly to my mind about the lions in camp incident:

- You went out of the tent without using a flash light to look all around and make sure there was no danger?
    - You parked the car pretty far away (20m) from the tent opening. I was told by a tour guide to alway park the car close to the tent openings and easy reachable, which I think is wise. Car doors unlocked and key on the ignition.
    This same guide told us that he had to intervene once as a lion was trying to tear apart a tent at night. He chased the lion off with his car. The guy inside the tent felt the lion acroos the wall and used a stick to push him back which triggered the bad reaction.

I am not an expert and maybe these precautions are too much, but they seem perfectly sound. Anyone with contradictory views here?
    Last edited by Pikasso; 2011/06/30 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
    Hi to All
    I have been reading the posts with great interest - particular thanks to Stan for a fantastic trip report. We are planning a CKGR trip from sout to north - roughly as follows :
    Khutze From here to Xade - 2 days hard drive
    Xaxa
    Xade
    Pipers To pipers antoher day
    Sundays Another day
    Deception
    I would be most grateful for any advice from the forum - particularly regarding travelling times between Khutze and Pipers. Also anything about logistics, water etc
    Thanks
    remember - you must take everything - WATER WATER WATER food, petrol,

Buy Veronica Roodt book about Botswana - very good information
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Hello Picasso. Your points are well taken.

At the time I went out of the tent, the full moon was shining, under these circumstances one can often see better without a torch which can make you a little night blind. We always have 2 torches in the tent.

We pitched our tent under trees for shade and so could not get the vehicle any closer without damaging the trees. But after this we did indeed try and have the vehicle closer to our tent in the other CKGR campsites. By the time we woke up that night, the pride were already all around our tent and even if the vehicle was 5 meters away I don't think we would have moved a hair.

The one Lion did lean against Anne through the tent canvas, there is absolutely no way we would have made any sort of contact with it to try and scare it away. The reaction would have been too unpredictable. I think we handled the situation correctly by simply lying dead still.

Of course this experience will strengthen the arguement of those in favour of roof top tents as opposed to ground tents. Although it did not feel so at the time, I don't think we were ever in any danger. Ground tents it will remain for us, except if travelling every day, when packing up is easier with a roof tent.
    Stan.

Thanks for the interest shown by forumites. Thanks for wading through the report, my intention is always to post a short and concise

Stan
    Good grief, does your comprehensive report come in book form ? When are you publishing ? When I started reading your report, looked at your age, the effort you put in, thought to myself: "lucky bastard, just hit pension and now having the time of his life, lots of time for typing away on the laptop....." Gathered I was wrong.

Nicely done. I love specific information in trip report rather than a 'general' overview. Helps a lot in making the experience so much more enjoyable, we tend to forget that some of us travel a lot, and that there are a lot of people out there who do not have 'out there savvy' that relies on reports like these to build a much deserved dream holiday.

Ground tents it will remain for us, except if travelling every day, when packing up is easier with a roof tent.
    Stan.
    We travel with both ground tents and RTT and alternate where appropriate. There is nothing better than being in an RTT when there are life-threatening animals like lion and hippo in camp - and they make for great observation posts.

I don't know how I missed this great report Stan. If nothing else, it is a prime example of how to write a good trip report. It also confirmed my view about rooftents!

Thanks for taking the trouble.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Thanks for your answers Stan.
    However I still don't understand why you did not notice the lions before going fully out form the tent...

Hoeveel water per persoon sal julle aanbeveel?
    SÍ maar mens stort elke tweede dag?
    Neem ook aan dat mens nie baie water sal drink deur die dag nie - eerder koeldrank of bier.

2001 Land Rover Defender TD5 110

Ons gaan volgende jaar Aug vir so 7 dae en vat 140l vir alledaagse gebruik, 40l drink water en dan so 20l drink water wat ons in die kar gaan hou vir 'n noodgeval.
    Dit sluit natuurlik die ou biertjie en koeldrank uit.

Hoop dit help.
    Last edited by Blikkies01; 2011/11/04 at 02:16 PM.

Hoeveel is 'ons'? twee mense?
    Dus 10 liter per persoon per dag - alledaagse gebruik - stort en skottelgoed.

Ons is 2 en soos jy noem alledaagse gebruik is vir skottelgoed en stort.

Ons (2 volwassenes en 1 kind) sal vir die 5 dae volgende jaar vat tussen 140-160 L vir stort en skottelgoed, 25-30 L vir drink en dan nog bier en koeldrank, so 4 per persoon per dag.

Dit klink na baie water, maar ons versit nooit van kamp sonder standaard 20L water aan boord nie, maw ons het 'n 20L waterkan in reserve wat nooit aan geraak word tensy nood of ons terug in die beskawing is nie. Doen dit al vir jare so. Onthou die storie van die mense onlangs in Savuti.....
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

So julle reken 10 liter pppd vir was en skottelgoed.
    Ja, die 20 liter ekstra water ry by ons ook altyd saam, mens weet nooit wat kan voorval nie.

Sleep jy 'n trailer, of het jy watertenks in jou voertuig/op jou dak?

Ons trailer het 'n 100 L water tenk en plek vir 2 waterkanne langs die kant. Ons sit nog een of twee waterkanne in die kar. Die drinkwater koop ek sommer 6 x 5L by WW of PP en hulle gaan in 'n krat in die trailer, niks op die dak nie.

Ons het een van die groen stort sakke wat 5L vat en een persoon stort heel goed met een so sak. Die vrouens veral met lang hare moet maar dalk net aanvaar dat hulle nie gaan hare was nie, dit vat nogal water.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast