Disco1 300TDI - Hybrid turbo

Default Disco1 300TDI - Hybrid turbo

The last few weeks I have been busy getting all my ducks in a row for the much anticipated hybrid turbo upgrade. I sourced a new Garrett turbo core from Stallion Turbo in Hermanstad and gave them the job to do the modification, which entailed fitting a bigger compressor wheel and modification of the compressor housing.

The car was then taken to LandyOnline, where Brian has assisted me with the development and realisation of this project. Brian fitted the new turbo and it was decided to leave the Dyno Test for later, as Brian would like to pit it against a standard 300Tdi to get a baseline for comparison.

Today I have received the car back from Brian at LandOnline.

Has all the effort of the last few weeks been worth it?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will now drive the car for about 5000km without the Thrustmaxes to get a good basis for comparison. How does it pan out so far?

What has been done:

1. Ceramic coating of exhaust manifold inside and out

2. New turbo with hybrid conversion, i.e. standard turbine wheel and upgraded compressor wheel with modified compressor housing

3. Allisport OEM size Intercooler

4. ITG airfilter

5. Tweaking of injector pump by turning diaphragm clockwise by 90 degrees.

Well that is it about.

And the result - She now pulls from 1500rpm under boost and carries on until past 4000rpm. This results in a completely new driveability in that in any situation one can now drive one gear higher.

It is important here to note, that the boost setting has remained unchanged at 1.05 Bar. This according to LandyOnline is the best setting to ensure maximum lifespan out of the motor together with acceptable turbo performance.

This should result in some even better fuel consumption figures. So far Brian from LandyOnline and Jonathan from British 4X4 have driven the rig today and both are ecstatic about the low down pulling power and the just about seemless power delivery.

After 5000km I will refit the Thrustmaxes to do a comparison. I however suspect, that their effectiveness will be deminished with the turbo now kicking in much sooner. It will however be interesting to evaluate, if there will be a difference in fuel consumption.

And the cost of the turbo conversion? - R5500.00. This entails a new turbo core without the exhaust centre manifold, the new bigger compressor wheel, machining of the housing, balancing and setup.

Ideal for the project will be A USED exhaust manifold (uncracked) for ceramic coating, as this has already been heat de-stressed.

The Allisport intercooler and ITG airfilter are available from www.allisport.com. ITG filters can also be sourced from TorqueTune in Midrand as far as I know.

I trust that you will find this information of interest.

Picture 1 - Standard compressor wheel 37mm aperture and new 42.4mm hybrid compressor wheel

Picture 2 - Hybrid turbo air intake

Picture 3 - Standard turbo air intake

Last edited by hgbosch; 2011/05/11 at 08:42 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

thanks George
    this is a valuable bit of info.
    sure guys with dodgy turbos will consider this mod when planning the recon of their turbos.
    IMHO a worthwhile investment while at it. not that much more than the standard recon.
    now what about a variable vane turbo conversion?
    is that not perhaps the better option?

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Quote Originally Posted by Landyluvver View Post
    thanks George
    this is a valuable bit of info.
    sure guys with dodgy turbos will consider this mod when planning the recon of their turbos.
    IMHO a worthwhile investment while at it. not that much more than the standard recon.
    now what about a variable vane turbo conversion?
    is that not perhaps the better option?
    Hi Albert

no it is not. there are several reasons for that.

1. A new and different exhaust manifold is needed.

2. Turbo kits from the UK retail at about £1350.00 ex UK.

3. You only gain about 200rpm lower turbo kick-in.

For the approximate amount of R18000.00 to 22000.00 that is just not worth it.

Also with the conversion that I went for, everything is standard, and therefore well proven.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

did not realise that VV turbo kit was so expensive.
    sounds like you made a good decision.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!