Free Tour to Vilanculos via Pafuri

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Free Tour to Vilanculos via Pafuri

Hi All,

As you may know I own VilanculosResorts.com and arrange accomodation for Holiday makers in the Vilanculos and archipeligo areas only. I along with my family will be travelling the Pafuri route in December to Vilanculos and invite you to join us.

If you are interested in joining:
    - you will need to arrange accomodation in Pafuri and Vilanculos. (i can help with Vilanculos bookings)
    - you will a 4x4 and possibly recovery gear (depending on the rains).
    - Fuel range for at least 800kms (although its only around 500kms)
    - you will need to be self sufficient for at least one night
    - you will not need to be in a rush as this is a beautiful drive through all sorts of terrain and Im sure there will be alot of stopping to appreciate it

If you have any questions you are welcome to contact me directly or ask me here.

Rgds
    Last edited by BruceT; 2007/03/27 at 12:37 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Arnie Guest

Hi Bruce
    I am very keen to travel the Pafuri route and would love to chat to you about the trip you are planning for Dec. What dates do you have in mind? my kids are in Govt. schools breaking up 30 Nov 2007

As Bruce said. Recovery gear might be a must if the river is running. Spring is acctually ideal. Not to hot, river is low. And yes it is a very scenic drive. Don't be in a rush. The first 100km will take about 3 hrs. Well worth the effort.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Hi Arnie,

You are welcome to call me on 0836042503 if you like.
    Plans are to leave JHB on the 15th to camp near Pafuri then 16th and 17th to drive to Blue Water Beach Resort in Vilanculos. So far we may have one other family joining us.
    My kids are also at government school but due to work we can only leave the 15th.

Henris,
    Have you any GPS route logs of the route or any bush campsite waypoints?
    Thanks
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Arnie Guest

Thanks Bruce. I have sent you a belated reply to your PM. The dates look fine to me, i am also usually busy during the first half of Dec. I will call shortly to discuss with you

Cheers
    Arnie

Hallo Bruce
    We are very keen to yoin you. Please could you give some more info:
    - The cost as the Pafuri border - I believe there is a additional cost with regards to the food and fuel that is taken with you to Moz.
    - One night self sufficient, not a problem, we carry everything, will it be a 'bush camp' ? Will this be Sunday night 16th.
    - When will we arrive at Vilanculos ?
    - Can you suggest a campsite before Pafuri Gate for the night of the 15th ?
    Please post reply here or, email me: [email protected]

Tx a mil

Sure. Here is our more or less plan. Just bear in mind we will be taking a slow drive and will proberbly stop to look at various things on route so the times are an estimate to give you an idea on how long it will take:

Day 1, 15 December
    JHB Punda Maria = 560kms (6 hrs)
    Total kms = 560kms

Day 2, 16 December
    Punda Maria Pafuri = 59kms (2 hrs) (1 hr for Border)
    Pafuri to Mapai = +/- 85kms (4 hrs)
    Mapai Machaila = 132kms (3 hrs) (Mapai to Fly Camp S22 19.760 E32 49.771 125kms)
    Total kms = 276kms

Day 3, 17 December
    Machaila Massemane = 110kms (3 hrs)
    Massemane Maboti = 75kms (2 hrs)
    Maboti Mapinhane = 110kms (3 hrs)
    Mapinhane Blue Waters = 55kms (45mins)
    Total kms = 350kms

I have never been charged any thing extra for fuel and food taken into Moz. The only thing that you must do is keep your reciepts for the food that you take in as there is a certain amount you are allowed to take in with you. If you exceed that amount they will charge you duties.

You are welcome to email me directly at brucet at vilanculosresorts dot com .
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Looks interesting...

I am interested. Keep me updated.

Regards

Malcolm
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Bruce T

Any more news regarding this ? Still going?

Malcolm
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Hi Malcolm,

Yes it is still on and I have about 10 cars that will be travelling with me. But with the rains we have had I am a little worried about the Limpopo's level, so we may be traveling through Giriyonda as an alternative. We will see closer to the time.
    What we will proberbly do is take a drive up to crooks corner on the 15th and take it from there.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Just done the Pafuri trip end Sept 07. The Limpopo was about 10m wide with a max depth of +- 40cm. Another group had a Q7 with them measuring 44 degrees C!!

Despite the heat this route to me is one of the best routes you can take. Not only for the Mos sea at the end, the prawns & the 2M's, but it is truly a very interesting route through the bush.

Getting a bit of Kruger (suggest to stay over in Punda Maria), fever trees, baobabs, sleep over in the bush, big tree country, red red soil as you get closer to the sea and then again boababs on the sea as you go to Blue Water in Vilanculos!

Bruce, congratulations with the nice new swimming pool @ Blue Waters - this is a winner to both the kids and the adults. We had a very good stay at Blue Waters and can reccomend to any one planning to go to Vilanculos.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Thanks Willem. I am glad you had a good holiday. Hope you will be giving us a trip report and some pics.

For me, 7 weeks to go and counting!!!!

Thanks again Willem.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Bruce,

Eish man, familiy is wanting us to be here for Xmas. This has caused us to change dates.

Will only be able to leave on 26th. We are now thinking of going via Giriyondo as far as Massingir, spending 2 or 3 nights there and then coming home. Where exactly is Giriyondo where you cross into Moz? Neither T4A or Garmaps (v1.5) show a route or that border post.

Plans are: Sleep near KNP (Palaborwa) on the night of the 26th and cross into KNP and Moz on the 27th. Return to KNP again on 29th or 30th, spend a night or two in the park (if we can get a campsite in Punda, Singwedzi, Letaba or even somewhere outside the park. We want to be home on the 1st, latest.

Seems like you have knowledge of that route. Any advice? How will it be camping at Massingir dam? The quieter, and the more remote, the more in the bush, the better we like it.

Regards.

Malcolm
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Default Route to Massingir

Bruce,

I zoomed in closer and found the road on both map sets!

Can you give me a time estimate from the main road in the park, the H1-6 to the border post and from there to Massingir?

Regards

MCvC
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

You got it wrong.

You must take your watch of on a trip like that. You drive untill you feel like stopping. Not because some electronic gimic says so.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Hi Malcolm,

Take a look at my trip report here. http://reports.overland.co.za/Bruce_..._Dec_2006.html

This should give you some info. Look at an average speed of about 30km/h if you dont stop like we did. Take your fishing rods with you because Massingir dam has alot of fish in it, just watch out for the crocodiles. (so dont go swimming)

Camp Fish Eagle is beautiful and the fish eagles call no stop. Also We took the long way to the dam from the border so we didnt see another vehicle.

I will be comming back that way on the 3rd Jan so if you have decided to stay a while we will see you there.....
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Thanx Bruce,

Got place to camp in Tsendze Bush camp in Kruger (near Mopani) on 26th Dec and again on 30th and 31st Dec for the trip home.

Thank you for you input and help. Your article helped a lot too.

Malcolm
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Pleasure Malcolm. Have a great trip.....
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

bruce, you have a pm
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Do yourself the favour and drive from Maputo south through Kosi Bay border gate.

Really worth it if you like some nice sand driving.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast