Waypoints for Moz

Default Waypoints for Moz

Hello all.

I am the proud new owner of a Garmin GPS. I have a trip coming up to Moz on the 1st April. Was hoping someone could answer a few very basic questions.

Is it possible to download waypoints worth visiting from the internet?
    What site is recommended?
    I received a GARMAP Southern African Streetmaps with my unit. What map do you recomend I get for Moz?
    Where and how do I get it?

My questions may sound very simple but please bare with me as I'm very new at this. Any info would be great.

Regards
    Shareef
    Last edited by Shareef; 2007/03/15 at 04:57 PM.

Hi There

Tracks4Africa is what you need , see an earlier thread in this catergory.

Try a Google search using "Waypoints for Mozambique"

Look on the Overland site

Subscribe to Tracks4Africa, also a forum

Cheers

Ashley

Hi-jacking this thread?? Could some-one ellaborate on the diff's between:

- Southern Africa Street Maps Version 1 - Migration CD and
    - Tracks 4 Africa??

I was under the impression that SA Maps V1 Migration included countries like Moz, Bots, Namibia, Zim, Zambia etc. I have ordered my CD a couple of days ago. It cost R269. It seems that with T4A you order maps for a specific country at ħR60 -R100 each or the whole package for R650?? (Hear say)

For doing countries like Moz, Bots & Namibia, would SA Maps be sufficient or does one need T4A??

Apologies Shareef for hi-jacking your thread, but it could possibly assist you in your question as well!!

(In any case, hi-jacking seems to have overtaken Rugby and Cricket as the new SA National Sport (sic))

When you migrate from South Africa Streetmaps V4 to Southern Africa Streetmaps V1, you pay R 39.90 for the CD and R 228.00 for the activation code.

The migration CD covers RSA, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozanbique.

Wonder why not Zambia, Malawi, Angola and Tanzania ?

Tracks4Africa is a map set that is mainly there for the off road adventure user. It will show for instance the major routes in the country and in Moz, but it will also show you the 4x4 routes in Moz like the twee spoor paadjies in the Elephant reserve. Southern Africa steetmaps v1 will not show this.

Go to tracks4africa website at www.tracks4africa.co.za and download only the MOZ map.
    T4maps does not have auto routing but who wants this in the middle of the bush. If you go off road use t4maps.
    Just another tip when on road select your mapset Southern Africa streetsmaps v1 and when off road de-select it and select the t4maps.

Where do you plan to go in Moz 1 April ?
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Tracks4Africa is a map set that is mainly there for the off road adventure user. It will show for instance the major routes in the country and in Moz, but it will also show you the 4x4 routes in Moz like the twee spoor paadjies in the Elephant reserve. Southern Africa steetmaps v1 will not show this.

Go to tracks4africa website at www.tracks4africa.co.za and download only the MOZ map.
    T4maps does not have auto routing but who wants this in the middle of the bush. If you go off road use t4maps.
    Just another tip when on road select your mapset Southern Africa streetsmaps v1 and when off road de-select it and select the t4maps.

Where do you plan to go in Moz 1 April ?
    " Dogmatix"
    Landcruiser 79 Double Cab V6 BF's KM2
    Kenwood VHF
    Echo 3 Off-road trailer
    Bridgestone D673
    www.bospelle.co.za

Impi has described it nicely, Tracks4Africa is based on data that has been collected by off-roaders like you and me and then incorporated into a mapset. It is not taken off aerial images and maps etc so you can be sure that the data there is correct, as members are submitting data on a daily basis it is constantly being checked and amended.

Most popular 4x4 trails and tracks can be found in the maps and this alone makes it very useful.

My fundamental problem for now is my lack of GPS experience. I loaded maps for a weekend trip to the Breede just before departing. I must have done something wrong on Mapsource because all I had on the entire trip was base maps. I had a look at tracks4africa and like what I see. My biggest fear is arriving in Moz and not having sufficient info on my GPS.

IMPI, I'm planning to tour the coastal areas around Vilancoulous, Pomene, Inhambane, Xai-Xai, Bilene, Santa Maria, etc., doing mainly fishing. Leaving CT on the 1st April along the N1 and returning by the 15th April on the N2.

Looking at the Mapsource V1 Moz part, I think that there is too little information. For example, I know that certain roads exists but they don't show on Mapsource V1. My thinking was just to load waypoints of the areas of interest and then find my way there, solong I know the place exists.

I'm disappointed in the lack of Garmin support in Cape Town, someone that can tell me all I need to know about my trip from a GPS point of view. With such a large amount of Garmin users, I would like to think that customer care centers exists? (like vodacom for example). It seems that the only way to get GPS education is through the helpful guys on this forum, tracks4africa,etc. It's a tedious process of gathering bits of information.

Thanks to all for the info. I better get started on my self-taught GPS exercise.

HI

We are also leaving for Moz on the 5/6 April. This will be our first trip there so would also appreciate all the info I can get.

Shareef I would appreciate if you let me know where you got all your info re routes, what you need, to take, camping places etc.

Thanks

Hi Morne

This will be my first visit to Moz aswell so the info that I have is not first hand. You may send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. If you haven't already, check the overlanding advice section on Mozambique. There's some good info there.

Regards
    Shareef