What mattress?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What mattress?

Default What mattress?

Looking for positive and negative comments on inflatable mattresses.
    What's the best?
    I've heard chirps about:
    using two singles rather than one double (if I lie on my side will the woman be a metre off the ground)
    some having bad insulation from the ground
    weak ones strong ones blah blah

I've got a single mattress already but if the Dragon is going to set foot in the tent then I need to make it a bit larny for her
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Love them and are fantastic on space saving and some sleep bloody lekker!

Dont confuse one with a blow up dollie spike!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I bought a double (actually more like a queen size) at Game last year. It has cells inside to prevent sudden air replacement from one side to the other. No worries about the wife popping off when you get onto the other side.
    Kobus

Nissan

Thumbs up

GroenSani

Is that an Aerospace you've got?

Spike

I have been using an Aerospace now for more than three years. It's the only mattress that I used so far that supports my "unique physique" properly. Used other brands before but they were never comfortable and the fail regularly.

Since I bought my mattress it has never had a puncture but my puncture repair kit has been used up by buddies whose mattresses failed in the middle of the night.

Pro's:

A proper mattress air mattress sleep very comfy almost as good as your bed at home.
    Great space saver

Con's:

Inferior quality ones are uncomfortable and can fail during the night

I found that because of my weight we need to top up the mattress every night otherwise it become under-inflated and uncomfortable the second night. Inflation can become a bit of a schlep if you have to remove the mattress from its position every night to reach the valve.

I think one of the reason why air mattresses are uncomfortable is that they are not inflated enough.

You and Swambo can't really do the "matras-wals" on it, as they tend to be a bit noisy (plastic rubbing sound) when you move around on them a lot.

Regarding insulation I found that any insulation you try to use between the mattress and the ground is useless since the air in the mattress cools down. but if you put a blanky or something between yourself and the mattress that problem is sorted.

Regarding the Dragon, my Swambo loves the Aerospace as well and she is quite fussy about mattresses.

Bennie, I'm not sure about the brand name, but it sounds familliar. (Dis 'n bloue met fluffy materiaal aan die bokant )

I agree with you regarding the comfort.

I have an extention wire to connect to the 12V. Topping up with the little 12V blower/pump thingy is a breeze. But I find it not really necessary. (I keep a high volume manual pump nearby if needed.)
    Kobus

Nissan

Anybody use the thermarest mattresses?

Quote Originally Posted by amaDisco View Post
    I've got them on my shopping list. http://www.thermarest.com/
    Kobus

Nissan

Who sells Thermarest in SA?

Also I see they don't come in double and queensize so it would be back to shagging on the tailgate.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by GroenSani View Post
    Bennie, I'm not sure about the brand name, but it sounds familliar. (Dis 'n bloue met fluffy materiaal aan die bokant )
    Got to agree... If it's the blue fluffy material on top & pocketed internals, these things are great. As comfortable as the bed at home. I have 2 queen sized, bought from Outdoor Warehouse for around R 400 each mid last year.
    V6 Pathfinder (AirMax, KC Daylighters, Bash plate, D694's, EFS 2" Lift)
    Conqueror Conquest (90L National Luna Twin + Stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by amaDisco View Post
    Yip, I have been using one for the last 18 months - great value.
    Con's: Expensive; Only comes in one size - single.
    Pro's: Never had a puncture; folds up in a very small bag, does not loose air, self-inflates; takes my 100kg's with ease; cold air does not penetrate from the bottom up.
    2017 Ford Everest 2.2L TDCi XLS 4◊2 6AT
    Invader Duo

After 4 versions, we've got it sorted:

1. To prevent heat loss through the floor, I bought a camping 'bed' at Makro last year, it's a frame that fold open to support the matress a foot above the ground. Folds up small enough. Mrs also prefers it to sleeping on the floor. See http://www.makro.co.za/ProductDetail...00000090425|EA

2. As the Mrs doesnt really like winter, but we mostly camp then, we take along the electric blanket. Works like, well, an electric blanket!

3. And lastly, the Mrs doesnt sleep in a sleeping bag, ever. A thick duvet does it.

This is about as much as I can do to replicate home, without actually taking the whole bed along.

Reading initial Q, I bet Mrs Spike will like this setup too!
    Last edited by biltongvreter; 2007/03/18 at 05:04 PM.
    2014 T'reg 3.6L V6
    2011 SLK 350

Prev: D4 XS, D3 TDV6, D2 V8, D1 V8 (x4), RRC, Paj V6 (x2), Patrol 4.8L

Spike we've been using the Aerospace for 3 years now as well and I can only echo what's been said about it so far. Strong, comfortable and works well.

Also nice to have when extra sleeping space is needed at home.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

I have been using a Coleman Inflatable Mattress, queen size, for approximately three years. No punctures and no problems thus far. Not to bad for a person that weigh 130kg. Also bought the Coleman Air Pump. This specific pump inflate the mattress quickly. Mattress very comfortable. Bought it at Makro.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
    I have been using a Coleman Inflatable Mattress, queen size, for approximately three years. No punctures and no problems thus far. Not to bad for a person that weigh 130kg. Also bought the Coleman Air Pump. This specific pump inflate the mattress quickly. Mattress very comfortable. Bought it at Makro.

My in-laws chucked theirs after having at least on puncture per trip we had. They used up my patch kit that came with the Aerospace, which I luckily up to now never needed

I have the coleman double bed but that didnt work to well because I am around 130kgs and the wife is around 60 kgs and everytime I turn around or move she gets bounced around.
    We have now bought the cheap R80 matress's from makro as I was tired of replacing the expensive ones.

I hate the things and the sooner my trailer is built the sooner I will be chucking the things out and replacing with foam mattress's and stretches for the kids.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

I can vouch for the coleman from Makro...quick to pump, quick to pack up since the pump also vacuums the matrass empty...does not deflate during the night...Had it for 2 years now...

Pieter....is it the one that costs over R300?
    Im just asking because maybe I was unlucky. It did feel alot thicker than the normal cheapies when I bought it.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Angry

I went to Makro (Milnerton) on Saturday morning when they opened specifically to buy this bed and I got the dreaded one-two: "yes, sir, it is on special; no, we don't have any in stock"

PS. I ended up buying 2 jerry cans just to show them how pissed off I was.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Yes Stephan. I went through the same thing with Macro Wesrand and Macro Woodmead although it was for stretchers.

"Yes sir its on special......no sir we dont have stock."
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Stefan, don't take that sh1t from them about "no stock". If they are advertising it they must flippin wel get you one from one of the other stores! (or does the ad say "as long as stocks last")

We have a double bed ex-makro, a campmaster, have had two "punctures", easy to fix but, believe me, not pleasant having that deflate on you in the middle of the night!!! It's had a fair share of......abuse, though...and we are well below the max. weight limit. Not bad to sleep on, bit noisy when you turn over in the night.
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast