Pajero Sport?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pajero Sport?

Question Pajero Sport?

I have a 2004 Pajero GLS in mint condition with 112,000 km's. I have fitted a sump guard, outback drawer system in back, 70 lit watertank in third row seat housing and have had proper load carrying roof rails fitted. Very nice. Problem nr. 1 No rear diff-lock.
    Problem 1 made me take a Pajero Sport for a weekend test drive. This resulted in Problem nr. 2, i.e. Huge Itch (Like HUGE). Problem nr. 2 is now giving me sleepless nights and have my mates (including the Toyota fraternity) totally divided on whether I should buy the Sport or fit a aftermarket rear diff-lock. BIG difference in cost!!
    I would value your opinion. Bear in mind I tow a Afrispoor trailer and I definitely use my vehicle off road.
    One request please, before the Toyota people start with Fortuner, please go and test the Sport first, then give me your HONEST opinion.

You sound really happy with your Pajero, so keep it . Just fit an ARB Air Locker to it with some of the money you will save by not buying the Sport. Although the Sport looks like a very nice vehicle, I doubt that it will be as capable as the one you already have 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stofpad View Post
    I have a 2004 Pajero GLS in mint condition with 112,000 km's. I have fitted a sump guard, outback drawer system in back, 70 lit watertank in third row seat housing and have had proper load carrying roof rails fitted. Very nice. Problem nr. 1 No rear diff-lock.
    Problem 1 made me take a Pajero Sport for a weekend test drive. This resulted in Problem nr. 2, i.e. Huge Itch (Like HUGE). Problem nr. 2 is now giving me sleepless nights and have my mates (including the Toyota fraternity) totally divided on whether I should buy the Sport or fit a aftermarket rear diff-lock. BIG difference in cost!!
    I would value your opinion. Bear in mind I tow a Afrispoor trailer and I definitely use my vehicle off road.
    One request please, before the Toyota people start with Fortuner, please go and test the Sport first, then give me your HONEST opinion.
    I am a proud Fortuner (2nd) owner, but also drove a 2.8TDi Colt D/C for 300 000kms and have greatest respect for Mitsubishi products! One question you must answer for yourself is : how often or regular have you had the need to use rear diff-lock? With my Colt, on very few occassions and believe me it did a lot of sand driving in Mozambique, Botswana and Namibia, also towing a trailer. Same applies to the period (since 2007) with the Fortuners. Have a friend with 2 X Pajeros, (SWB +LWB) and we have toured Botswana and Namibia and hardly ever had the need for the use of diff-lock, hence I don't see your Problem No 1 as a serious problem.
    As for the "itch", I have no remedy except that it does go away when one's butt is being rubbed by a new leather seat. Tough decision though. Best of luck
    Enjoy the day.

What did you think of the 4 speed auto box? It really put me off the Sport and I would prefer a 5 speed manual.

I must also add that I drive a lot of sand trails and that's where the auto irritated me the most

Default Pajero Sport?

I own a Fortuner & have never owned a Pajero.

Both those points are irrelevant to my opinion though, keep the Pajero & add the difflock.

Financially, it's a terrible idea to replace the Pajero with the Pajero Sport.

From a Vehicle point of view (other than the Diff lock) you're not buying anything better, just smaller.

Also, consider this, you buy the Pajero Sport & regret it/miss your Pajero.
    Now you have regret & debt.

That 'itch' is called 'consumerism' - DON'T succumb to it! Be strong dear friend, be strong.

XJ I disagree, the sport is better off road because of the rear life rear axel. You have much better articulation. The approach angle is also better. The independed rear of the Gen series is not ideal for it. It is however a great overlander for travel, but it can bottom out easier at the rear(upgrade suspention rather) http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...php%3Ft%3D4591 read here.small?? Not a chance, I am 2 meters tall an weigh a 150kg and the space is fantastic. The boot is massive as well. Yes it has a 4 speed box which is very robust and proven itself all over the world. At 120kmph it revs 2200rpm. To Keep your current Paj would make financial sence though! And you have a fantastic car!!!
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2011/04/25 at 10:06 AM.

I have also heard that its not really a pajero?? What the.. The sport uses the same setup as the Gen 1 Gen 2. Tubular chassis, independed front and live rear. Much more of a original Paj than the Gen 3 and 4. Yes its got the Triton under pinnings, and its a fantastic one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    XJ I disagree, the sport is better off road because of the rear life rear axel. You have much better articulation. The approach angle is also better.
    I didn't realize that a 2004 Pajero would not have a live axle . Yes, that would be better. I like the Sport but cannot understand why there are so few on the roads - its a very good looking vehicle .

Thanks for the feedback. Firstly Zantus, the first time I drove the Sport the 4 speed box put me off as it feels completely different to my 5 speed. The next day I took it on some gravel in 4Hi and started liking it. Very very smooth. Then back to 2Hi and my mind is now split 50/50 which box I like more. I think the 4 speed is very nice, I think it will tow very nice but I am concerned about the fuel consumption.

Herman, you made my morning with rubbing my itch with new leather seats. .

I honestly believe the Sport will be better off road. I also do not understand why there are so few on the road. Me thinks: Toyota brand loyalty and also I suspect the Sport resale value will not be as great as the Fortuner.

I have also heard that its not really a pajero?? What the.. The sport uses the same setup as the Gen 1 Gen 2. Tubular chassis, independed front and live rear. Much more of a original Paj than the Gen 3 and 4. Yes its got the Triton under pinnings, and its a fantastic one!
    The Pajero Sport is basically a Triton station wagon like the Fortuner is a station wagon hilux and in both cases they have coil sprung rear suspension.

The Pajero Sport is much closer to the full size Pajero than some of the other Pajero variants available around the world. Pajero name is not as exclusive as some would like to believe and it has been used for most of the SUV's Mitsu has made.

Here's some of the models that use the Pajero name.
    -Pajero Mini - 660cc 2 door station wagon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero_Mini

-Pajero Junior - 1100cc 2 door SUV
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero_Junior

-Pajero IO/TR4/Pinin - 3 and 5 door SUV with 1600-2000cc engines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero_iO

In some countries the word "Pajero" is also a bit of rude word and in those countries the Pajero is called the Montero or Shogun.

So little of them on the road makes it a bit more exlusive he he!
    O ja and the debates about the fortuner, well the Sport has a anti roll bar at the back...enough said ha ha

Zantus I agree, I suppose toyota scould have called the Fortuner a Prado Sport then ha ha
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2011/04/25 at 10:20 AM.

@Zantus - can you also fit the 32's without a lift, like with the Triton?

Yip, there's one here in PE that runs 265/75R16 KM2's and he says they don't touch anywhere.

Default Pajero Sport?

Bostokkelos, Stofpad doesn't need convincing that the Pajero Sport is a good vehicle (or perhaps you are trying to convince yourself), it seems he already knows it's good. But, he wants to know if he should change from the Pajero to the Pajero lite.

You make fair points about the differences/advantages, but I still think he's making a mistake, not because the Sport is not a good vehicle, it is.
    But he's going to spend a lot of money & get little improvement.
    A cost/benefit analysis would show this clearly.

If he had over 280 000kms on the clock then I would say sell.

Oh, and Toyota should have called the Fortuner the Land Cruiser Lux...

Quote Originally Posted by Zantus View Post
    Yip, there's one here in PE that runs 265/75R16 KM2's and he says they don't touch anywhere.
    Is that 31's or 32's

buy the locker...no question.
    Kia Sorento 2.2d A/T
    Honda CRV 2.0 A/T

The only convincing I need, is that the Fortuner is in the same class as the Paj Sprt. I am not convinced.
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2011/04/25 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fixed my over reaction!

Manny, I at least gave a good answer(facts). Pajero light didnt you read its better!!! offroad. The only convincing I need, is that the Fortuner is in the same class as the Paj Sprt. I am not convinced.
    In the right hands I would bet my house the Pukka Paj will do absolutely everything a Paj Zero will do, and then some. I have driven both... and the Pukka Paj wins hands down in every department (except mqybe price). There is more to life than a moffie knoppie (I only have LSD and there has been nothing I couldn't do that a Sport can do)
    Last edited by SimonB; 2011/04/25 at 05:06 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

You are right Simon, my statement is specifically based on rear articulation as a matter of fact I am looking to buy a Gen 3 SWB for the Mrs.
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2011/04/25 at 06:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast