Vehicle insurance at Mozam border

loosetentpegs Guest

Exclamation Vehicle insurance at Mozam border

Hi - how necessary is it really to get that insurance you are offered at the Mozambique borders? I always feel I am signing something that has no worth and then paying for it...

shot

As far as I know it is not negotiable, no insurance-no entry I think

It is like the third party insurance we had years ago in SA. Unfortunately, we have no choice but to pay. You can however choose which company you would like to support at the border post.

Can't we buy that before the time from Hollard or Makro?

Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    Can't we buy that before the time from Hollard or Makro?

Yes you can, I get mine from Outdoore Warehouse its a Hollard policy, a few fishing shops have them too.

2004 DISCO TD5 GS AUTO
    Kitted for overlanding.

Hi Travis,

It seems silly to buy it, but boy oh boy let a person get hurt in an accident where you are involved without that piece of paper and you will need a lot of leave from work and a very good lawyer.

Its not that expensive.

Catch the wave and ride it, do not fight it.

compulsory if the cops in moz pull you over and you don't have it............................. just think
    Corne

Get it in Komatiepoort at the SASOL garage or the BP garage before the border.
    You can get it also at the Mozambique border side at Hollard office.
    Make sure you ask and high light the contact numbers on the policy and write it down. In case you need it is by hand. Double check all the info that is hand written, registration numbers and dates. You need insurance for a trailer also.
    Never hand the document over at a inspection stop point. Show it to them.
    Do not use the “runners” at the border to get the insurance. Rather stop in front Hollard office on the Moz side and speak to them. They can assist you with other potential problems.
    Make use of the “duty free” shops before you leave the Moz border side. Booz is cheaper there.

loosetentpegs Guest

Thanks everyone - sound advice. Am crossing in from swazi so border a little more 'tame'... cheers!

if you refuse to hand a document over when asked for, you will just get yourself in trouble unnecessary
    Corne

Quote Originally Posted by Madota F250 View Post
    if you refuse to hand a document over when asked for, you will just get yourself in trouble unnecessary
    Correct, and strangely enough, even though it cost a few bob, sometimes the use of runners and "across the border" facilities (insurance) can ease your passage. All the guys at the border are a close knit family and if you are seen to be friendly and supporting them it can help with cue's and things.

Not all borders, not all the time.

Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Jy kan dit by outdoor wearhouse kry ek het myne daar gekry en deur mozam en malawe. Almal het dit antvaar. Die mense bedoner jou by die grens poste. Koop in s.a dan het jy geen probleme nie. Ek het geen rUNNERS
    gebruik nie .ek is langer as 5 minite by grens pos gespan deur nie

Runner's does not male it easier, it cost you at least R200 vs the R30 if you do it yourselves, do yourself a favour and watch the guys using the runners, they are all being searched again by some official who wants halve of the money (R100) at least. I am not talking about lodge owners that must cross the border every week or two with groceries and leave themselves vulnerable to victimisation when pulling a horsebox trailer or something, but us tourists are mostly OK when crossing the border and even on a fairly busy day it's not that difficult figuring out what to do. I even translated the temp import papers to English so I can do that myself, and when going out of Moz, you're plain wasting your money when using a runner. Also the officials start smelling rats when you use runners while trying to leave the country. Rather bite the bullet and try doing it yourselves, make it part of the experience.... My 2c
    Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
    - Thomas Dewar

Ek stem saam met hansie ek het nie een keur runers gebriuk nie. Ek het ales my self gedoen n mens ,m,ket net n biekie vir die amtenare vrae en hule se ver jou waar om te gaan ek is van af komatie duer mozab tot in blantyre(malawe) en by elke grenspos ales my self gedoen die mense se houding is baie friendelik.ek sal enigetyd terug gaan