Invite to Public debate: Fracking in the Karoo - for and against...

Default Invite to Public debate: Fracking in the Karoo - for and against...

To those interested.

EE-News
    News and announcements from EE Publishers
    Issue 134, April 2011

Announcement: Public debate:
    Fracking in the Karoo - for and against...
    You, your friends, colleagues and all interested persons are cordially invited to attend an open public debate hosted by EE Publishers in association with the Johannesburg Press Club, on:

Fracking in the Karoo - for and against...

DATE: Wednesday 25 May 2011
    TIME: 15h30 for 16h00
    VENUE: Axiz Auditorium, Midrand.
    COCKTAIL PARTY: Hot and cold snacks, soft-drinks, beer and wine will be served after the debate
    COST: R50 per person attending, payable in cash at the door, to help cover the catering costs.

The names of the chairperson and eminent expert presenters will be announced shortly. Two presenters will argue for the motion and two will argue against, after which the chairperson will field questions from the floor.

A vote will be taken before and after the debate to determine those for the motion, those against and those undecided.

BACKGROUND

The subject of hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking", for the exploration and production of shale gas in the Karoo has been well covered in the media as a potential "game changer" in the energy sector, with heated arguments both for and against.

This debate will bring together diverse expert views to present and argue the case: "Fracking in the Karoo - for and against...", to enable you to better understand the issues and make up your own mind.

The debate will cover:
    The geological aspects of the area
    Job creation, economic development and poverty alleviation
    Security of energy supply and opportunities for power generation, energy diversity and cleaner burning energy resources
    Investment and business opportunities, and technology risks
    Impacts on the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) project
    The old economy vs. the new economy; the stone-age vs. the space-age; the resource-based economy vs. the knowledge-based economy
    Hydrocarbon-based energy vs. renewable energy
    Security of water supply and the impacts on the region's water resources
    Fracking chemicals and water pollution issues
    Waste-water storage, handling and processing
    Issues of CO2 emissions and climate change
    Environmental risks and dangers, and environmental protection issues
    Alternative technologies and techniques
    REGISTRATION

Please click here to register online and reserve your seat(s)

Seating is limited to 350 persons and booking is essential. Please register early to book your seat(s) and avoid disappointment.

DIRECTIONS

From the N1 highway between Johannesburg and Pretoria, take the New Road off-ramp and head West (away from Midrand). At the first traffic lights after the N1/New Road intersection, turn right into Sixth Road and into the International Business Gateway, where you will be directed to the Axiz Auditorium.

Published by
    EE Publishers
    P O Box 458
    Muldersdrift
    South Africa
    Tel 0115437000
    Fax 0115437025
    [email protected]
    www.eepublishers.co.za

wHO ARE ee pUBLISHERS, AND DO THEY HAVE ANY PETRO COMPANY CONNECTION?
    Sephulamthetho (Cory Voigt)
    'The cut worm forgives the plough'

Let me start by clarifying that I have no link to EE Publishers in any way. I am a subscriber to one of their magazines, and got the invite via their daily news email. EE Publishers publish a couple of magazines, including Vector and Energize which serve the Electrical and Electronic Engineering professions as well as the Energy Market. I would guess that is where their interest lies, as far a I know there are no ties with the petrochem industries. The editor is Chris Yelland who himself, with his family, are long and well known members of the Elecrical Engineering community in SA, and has publicly taken the fight to Eskom and the government, through his publications, regarding the sorry state of the Electricity Generation and Supply situation in SA.

My biggest concern regards the Karoo Fracking is the impact on the SKA.
    Might be worth attending.
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; T=1 but, 1/2T=

Quote Originally Posted by RedLineR View Post
    My biggest concern regards the Karoo Fracking is the impact on the SKA.
    Might be worth attending.
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    Agree, and as we all know that is a multi billion dollar investment opportunity. Second to or maybe equal to the concern around the environmental issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gjs View Post
    Let me start by clarifying that I have no link to EE Publishers ........ The editor is Chris Yelland who himself, ....SA.
    Thanks, makes sense. I believe Yelland is a good guy, didn't notice him when I looked at the site
    Straight answer , thanks
    Cory
    Sephulamthetho (Cory Voigt)
    'The cut worm forgives the plough'

Leave the damn Karoo alone. Take their fistful of dollars and pee off. They always try and sell some bulldust about jobs and economies, when all that is intended is a healthy profit and a stuffed environment.
    I am no eco warrior greeny - but I absolutely hate the idea of stuffing the Karoo for future generations so the current can drive bigger cars and have holiday houses from profits.

Had an insightful article on this last night on 50/50. I must say that I am against this. Too risky.

Apparently this resource will only last for 5-15 years, so not really a long term solution, so in my opinion not worth taking the risk

Are there rumblings from those guys in the Cape ? John Yeld ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

I suspect these guys will suck the Karoo dry and leave it all fracked up when they leave.

Some more info on the debate.

Presenter line-up at the public debate: Fracking in the Karoo - for and against...

PRESENTERS

Chairman:
    Dr. Rod Crompton, member of the board of the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA), responsible for regulating petroleum and gas pipelines.

Presenters in favor of fracking:

Prof. Philip Lloyd of the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) and the Energy Research Centre (ERC) of the University of Cape Town (UCT)

Ivo Vegter, well known opinion leader, journalist and writer in The Daily Maverick and other leading publications in South Africa (see his views on fracking here)

Presenters against fracking:

Dr. Anthony Turton, well known water resource scientist, formerly at the CSIR, now professor in the Centre for Environmental Management at the University of the Free State (UFS)

Dr. Chris Hartnady, formerly associate professor in the Department of Geological Sciences at UCT, now technical director at Umvoto, with expertise in structural geology and tectonics in South and southern Africa