Fastest Route George to PE

Default Fastest Route George to PE

Hi Guys
    Can somebody that travels this route often, help me to determine the fastest route.

Need to drive from George to PE Central

The two options I know of is:
    1. Through Knysna
    2. Through Langkloof

Will be leaving George at about 4am widweek, not on a weekend. I know the coastal route is normally very busy, with a lot of 60 and 80km/h zones, but I will pass through there early though. Also a lot of speed cameras and they don't sleep early in the morning.

What baffles me though is the difference in distance and time for the routes.
    According to my GPS the Langkloof route is only 20km longer, but ads almost an hour to the estimated travel time, while the Garden Route is the one with all the slow zones and traffic.

In my opinion the Langkloof route would be faster, but the GPS does not share my view, so now confused as to which route to take.

Anybody that can help me on this one?
    Last edited by nieljooste; 2011/04/08 at 05:12 PM.

George to PE on the N2 is the fastest 3.5 hrs. Toll fees R33.00. make sure to have filter coffee at the stormsriver bridge Steers. Its heaven! Although it is slow going between George and Plett it is mostly 120 from there. Keep to the speed limits on the 60, 80 and 100 kmh stretches. There are permanent cameras and mobile. Trust me, they work!
    The road through the Lang Kloof is very winding, narrow and uneven(old road) and takes a lot of concentration.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

We did this exercise in Jan, PE-Mossel/Mossel Bay-PE.

There we took N2, back we took Langkloof.

The distance for Langkloof was slightly further, 30-40km's if I remember correctly, but working on travelling time only on the GPS the travelling time was within about 15mins...

The N2 is just much nicer and less bumpy (at least in a SFA....)

Ek wil nou nie lelik klink nie maar dis nou regtig n stupid vraag op die site. Staan vroeer op en ry ,klaar.G'n wonder die werf is so besig nie.Ek is n Stormers man al vanaf 1973 en bly in Gauteng,maar julle Kaapenaars bly maar stadig.Eish!!!

This is harvest time in the Langkloof, and only those who has business there travels that road during this time.

If you have the whole day to spend patiently behind tractors and carts transporting the harvest, then go for it. Otherwise there is no question about the N2 being much quicker.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger7 View Post
    Ek wil nou nie lelik klink nie maar dis nou regtig n stupid vraag op die site. Staan vroeer op en ry ,klaar.G'n wonder die werf is so besig nie.Ek is n Stormers man al vanaf 1973 en bly in Gauteng,maar julle Kaapenaars bly maar stadig.Eish!!!

There's no such thing as a stupid Question, only stupid answers. Thanx for proving the latter.

N2 is definitely faster Niel!
    NISSAN PATROL GU 4.2D
    “Donkey”
    Life is a journey, not a destination!!
    Try slowing down once in a while
    and soak up your surroundings.
    You might just surprise yourself.

Pieter, Dirk, Poen and Juan,

Thanks for your contribution, it seems its definitely N2 then.

O ja, Ranger7, dankie ook vir jou bydrae. Ek is maar stupid gebore, maar met my minder gegoede brein het ek agtergekom dat as ek baie stupid vrae vra, ek nogal heelwat slim goed gedoen kry.

Have a nice day!

Versigtig Ranger7. Net omdat jy in Gauteng bly maak dit jou nie superslim en blitsvinnig nie.
    Drink liewers jou pil vir die dag en bly liewers stil indien jy wil beledig ipv om 'n bydrae te maak.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger7 View Post
    "Will be leaving George at about 4am widweek", Hoe laat moet hy dan nou volgens jou ry?

Johan van Niekerk. I can't spell and my grammar sucks, so deal with it!
    2010 Jeep G/C 5.7 V V T Hemi Overland
    2007 Xplorerhttp://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Dankie vir al die bydraes.

Het besluit om vorige aand reeds vanaf swellendam te ry, eerder as op George by skoonfamilie oor te bly.

Net voor 5pm weg uit s/dam, slegs in George gestop en 11pm in PE gewees, afsprake vir die dag nagekom en was weer 11pm die aand terug in S/Dam.

Spoed maak nie regtig so groot verskil aan travel time nie, die probleem kom wanneer mens stop, en my swambo moet mos by elke 2de dorp stop vir 'n toilet

O ja, het toe kuslangs gery, en omdat dit meestal in die nag was, was die paaie lekker stil.