Ironman Shocks on Triton

Default Ironman Shocks on Triton

I fitted ironman shock to my Triton a few months ago, not to long after that I noticed that there is a rumbling/rattling sound coming from the front of my vehicle on certain road surfaces...but it being new shocks I never suspected that it might be caused by the shocks.
    Well this caused me and the local Mitsubishi dealership a 4 Month search for the cause of the rattle/rumble....
    Yesterday out of pure frustration, the vehicle back at Mitsubishi for the third time and probably a total amount of 14 days at the dealership, the dealer suggested they swop the shocks with the originals on one of their workshop Tritons and to my joy the problem was solved.

On further inspection of what might cause this we noticed the following, the coil baseplate on the Ironman shock is not attached to the shock whereas the original is attached to the shock.

Even if the baseplate is loose surely it should not rattle/rumble, can this be caused by the original coil spring being a bit shorter than the ironman coil, I did not fit Ironman coil springs just the shocks.

When I fitted the shocks the Installer assured me that I can only fit the shocks and that I don’t need to fit the complete Ironman suspension.
    Yesterday I phone the Ironman Agent and he told me that the coil baseplates on other brands like OME, XJM etc... Are also not permanently attached to the shock, is this true, surely they don't rattle...

I just love comfort and road holding ability these shock provide, its much better than the originals but I don't want the rattle/rumble.....

I also would like to know if anyone else had the same experience.

Any Ideas or advice would be appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loose baseplate.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	92327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baseplate attached.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	92328  
    Last edited by mariusst; 2011/04/07 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariusst View Post

Even if the baseplate is loose surely it should not rattle/rumble, can this be caused by the original coil spring being a bit shorter than the ironman coil, I did not fit Ironman coil springs just the shocks.
    Most of the aftermarket struts are matched to their own coils, because the spring seat is not always in the same position, but I could be wrong...

Ok so here is an update we have found the cause of the rattle. The bush on the bottom of the shock has got a lot of play, no sign of wear on the bolt or the inside of the bush it looks like it came that way from the factory. The supplier (Autoquip Alberton) ordered new shocks then we will compare to the new ones.

One thing I've learned from this experience is that you can still get good service these days, Mitsubishi Midrand and Autoquip both bend over backwards to help me with this..

Hi M,

Just be sure to fasten the lower shock bolt last, or it'll chow that bush finished in a couple of minutes!

My shocks were longer than stock, but I changed the springs too... What did they bang you for the bushes?
    s
    downhill assist = middle pedal
    ------------------------------------
    All truth passes through three phases:
    1. Violently opposed
    2. Horribly ridiculed
    3. Accepted as self evident