Pink ribbon family trip to Vic Falls

Default Pink ribbon family trip to Vic Falls

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and will soon be done with chemotherapy. Then she has a break before she starts with just over a month of radiation. It has been a testing time for the family because we live in Angola and she is traveling to South Africa for treatment. Everyone in the family has been great and she has tackled the challange very positively. We trust that she will be fine after treatment - she became aware of it at a very early stage.

So ... just to say thank you to her and the boys for pulling together to support her during this, I'm planning to take them for a couple of days to Vic Falls. Simbolically to see what the power of the Creator made for us to see - just as we've seen her recovering. At the same time I wanted a place where we can all get something that we enjoy. She can relax with abokk if she wants, the boys should have enough to keep them entertained (ages 12 and 17 by then) and I enjoy nature and photography.

We will stay in one of the hotels/lodges for some pampering so any comments on what is availible would be appreciated.

There seem to be a whole host of activities that one can take part in. You comments and experiences would help to make a selection that would be the best.

We would be going a round mid July - should I wait till the SA schools open again after their holidays?

Looking forward to your comments and thanks in advance.

Try the Victoria Falls Hotel, not so expensive these days anymore. Good settings, nice gardens, pool for the boys and if they want to do the bungee jump the good wife can watch them from the terrace with the binocs.
    For photo friends best views on the bridge and into the gorge from right there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42-VFall-bridge.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	92375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Safari 09-05 454.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	92376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Safari 09-05 455.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	92377  
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Thanks KS for the contribution. It would be the wife that would jump first ... but that she can do the day that I'm not there anymore .

I have looked at the VF hotel and it also had a goos review on the travel channel the other day. How far would if be from the falls?

Do you have any comments on the other activities that are on offer at Vic Falls?

Much appreciated.

Sorry to hear of the troubles your family has faced recently. I think the hotels you should consider are:
    Victoria Falls hotel - grand, colonial and opulent - 10 minute walk from the falls
    Ilala Lodge - smaller and upmarket - very nice - 5 minute walk from the falls
    Kingdom hotel - large family hotel - lovely design on the Great Zimbabwe theme - 5 minute walk from the falls.
    Victoria Falls Safari lodge - lovely hotel very popular - a bit further out of town overlooking its own private waterhole - perfect place to relax - bus ride into town and the falls.
    Not sure how far your budget will stretch but there are 2 stunning lodges just out of town - The Stanley and Livingstone and the newly built Elephant camp - these are quite expensive but if you want pampering and relaxation, these will do the trick.
    All these at time to time have special offers so its worth looking around.

Activities are endless and really too many to list here. This web page might help you out http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/v...ctivities.html

The sunset and dinner cruise is highly recommended and is I feel more enjoyable than just the sunset cruise on its own.

Full moon in July is on the 15th July which means that you could see the Falls at night and view the spectacular Lunar rainbow, so if you can book around that time it might be worth your while. I wouldn't worry about the SA school holidays.

I have attached a map of Victoria falls so you can get your bearings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best wishes
    Tony

"Life is a Creation Not a Discovery"

Victoria Falls Guide

Agree with Dandesha, there are many things to do and dependent of your expectation of adrenaline in order from high to low:
    Bungee jump 110 meters from the bridge
    Rope gliding across the gorge
    Scenic microlight or helicopter flip over the falls
    White water rafting 3-6 hours
    River cruise either sun-downer or dinner
    Craft market visit
    The Falls and rain forest
    Game drive into Zambezi NP along the river
    Visits to Croc farms........ etc.

Form VF hotel its just 10 minutes walk to the entrance gate of the Falls

I am sure a week will be short if you want to do it all.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Thanks Tony and KS for the help. It looks like we might be there during full moon which could be unique to experience. Spoke to my lady over the weekend whilst visiting her in SA - she likes the idea so now we just need to finalize the dates. Was think about 4 nights should do it but I'm sure one can stay longer. the activities that I've listed for the moment includes the dinner cruize, flight over the falls (not sure if I must go chopper of microlight), a canoe trip with the boys. Is it important to book for event before the time or would it be fine to do it there?

The microlight flights only operate from the Zambian side, so unless you are going across to that side maybe that helps make your decision for you. You can book once you are there, it doesn't make any difference to the price though, I think many people think they will get a better deal when they are on the ground, it just doesn't happen that way. Prices are standard direct from the operator or from an agent. For instance there is only one helicopter company and the price is US$125 for a 12min flight, whoever you book through. Some local agents will knock a few dollars off their commission and hand this onto you, but you have to hunt these guys out... wasting your holiday time.

In some cases the activities might be fully booked or you can't get the time slot you would like (for instance the helicopter ride is better in the afternoon slightly less spray as the day warms up) so its a good idea to pre-book an afternoon time slot.

The other problem is that some activities like the Zambezi canoeing might be under booked in that they need a minimum of 4 people to run the trip, if you don't have 4 people in your party, but have booked in advance it gives the operator time to find other clients for the trip. All depends on what you end up doing.

There are also several package deals available when booking a few activities together from the same operator, when on the spot you might not be made aware of these and it can all get a bit confusing so you can spend you holiday time messing around trying to make decisions and bookings.

Also if you pre-book and pay up front you don't have to worry about paying there, not all the operators accept credit cards (dinner cruise) and therefore you have to carry cash or draw money from the ATM machines which can all add to the cost, using credit cards in another country also incurs other fees.
    Best wishes
    Tony

Victoria Falls Guide

Great feedback thanks Tony. My question wasn't related to getting a better deal but more about making sure you are not disappointed with full bookings. Great map as well. Do you have any idea of what the water levels of the falls are during July? Can one still expect good sightings of the falls?
    Last edited by lirritma; 2011/04/11 at 11:53 PM.

Hi there, back from a conference at Vic Falls, we stayed at the Royal Livingstone hotel, great place but very expensive, next to it is the vic falls Sun and the rates there is much better, not everybody needs slippers at night. This was my third visit to the falls, second time on the Zambian side and I must say you see a lot more from the Zambian side> If you do stay at any of these 2 hotels< you have unlimmited access to the falls and it is within walkin distance so whoever feels they want to go to the falls can go on there own and it's a 5 minute walk. Most of the activities is also on the Zambian side like absail, flying Fox and the gorge swing. Helicopter and microlight flips is also done from the Zambian side> Water levels should still be high enough to make it spectacular so enjoy but I would suggest Zambia. couple of pics of the Vic Falls Sun and it's location.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2540.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	92906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	92907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	92908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	92909  
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.

July is a fantastic time. Bear in mind that the Falls are at about their peak flow at the end April and their lowest at the end of November. So in July there is till an enormous amount of water..... Spectacular.
    It is winter so be prepared for chilly nights, the days on the whole should be lovely blue skies and nice and warm in the sun.
    Best wishes
    Tony

Victoria Falls Guide

Thanks again Tony and Retailer. Retailer your first photo of the full fall is insane ... now I can realy not wait - and to think that about 4 weeks before the Vic falls trip with all it's water I'll be in the Kgalagadi ... Stunning contrast.

We will be going to the Zim side so will have to take what we get there.

Just a short note to say that I'm back in Angola and we had a magic time in Vic Falls. Please bear with me but I will still give a full report on our visit with some personal views and photos.

My trip report can be found at this thread http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=90215
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Gerrit,
    Great report and piccies.
    Glad you enjoyed the visit there. I have been there abut 20 times over the last 20 years and each time it is different. So keep coming back - in a different season.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45