Exclamation Household Electrical Question

I am hoping that there are some Sparkies out there that can point me in the right direction (its too late to call one )

This switch on the electrical box tripped. I unplugged everything but it still trips. Even when I switch all of these switches off (including main), this particular one won't stay up .

Its there a fuse inside this unit that could be the problem? Do I replace the unit or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Try pushing the switch all the way down before pushing it up again(It might make a click sound as it re-engages the pawl). If this does not sort it out have someone test the circuit and if all is right it will need to be replaced as there are no replaceable parts in such a unit.

OK - I tried that but had zero success. I have just noticed that all of the other have a red little indicator (see pic) but this one had a green one. I guess that I'll just have to get another unit.

Ta for the help!

Default Plugs

Hi,

I see that there are two plug breakers there.

Do you know which plugs the tripped one feeds.

If not, then either way, unplug everything plugged into a wall socket.

If everything is unplugged, switch on the breaker again. If everything is unplugged it will probably switch on.

Go back and plug everything in again. when you get to the point that plugging something in trips the breaker again, that appliance is probably causing the problem.

Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

I've gone the route as you directed. Everything is unplugged, from those plugs, yet it won't stay up. What is the significance of the red & green thingys I wonder .

In theory it should just pop back on but if there is a short on the circuit it will have a faint banging sound and you might see a spark as it tries to turn back on. If the unit is just kind of pap or you feel little or no resistance when switching on it could be that the breaker is shot. You can test it by removing the wire from the breaker next to this one and inserting the faulty circuit to this breaker. If it turns on then you know the cb is shot. In a push you could run both circuits on one breaker until you get the new unit, knowing old Murphy it is probably the circuit that runs the deep freeze
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Its just pap like you described - no sparks or sound. It won't even go on with everything else, including mains, off (not sure of significance of this).

I think that the green 'tab' might be some sort of indicator to tell me its stuffed

Luckily the important appliances are on other plugs

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    I've gone the route as you directed. Everything is unplugged, from those plugs, yet it won't stay up. What is the significance of the red & green thingys I wonder .
    The red and green thingies are just indicators to show in which position the switch is on/off.

That's a dinrail mount mcb and should cost you in the region of R30

Did you remember to check outside plugs and the ones in the garage as well ?

If everything is plugged out and you still cant get it to switch on then you probably have a bad circuit or faulty breaker as mentioned.

If you do not hear a noise / flash when switch on (meaning faulty circuit) try pushing it up very slowly.

Riaan

And if you really need one at this hour you can come and collect one from me. I should have one in my bakkie
    Riaan
    Mahindra S10 DC Pikup
    GWM Steed DC 2.8 TCi - Dastek(Sold)

The garage plugs & electric garage doors are on that circuit, so I did unplug them. No noise or flashes, so I suspect you are right about the breaker being faulty

I think I will give the ride to Malmesbury a skip tonight, but thanks for the offer

I'll get Swambo to fit a new one tomorrow

Default Oooh

Ok,

Looks like it may be a faulty breaker.

What happened to the good old days of a thicker piece of wire in the fuse holder

Keith
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Looks like it Fluffy. This house is only 6 years old but its falling apart . They don't build em like they used to

You said that you switched all the other switches off and it still won't switch reset..........then it is the breaker itself and not the circuit or something that is plugged in.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Also switch off the geyser isolator. Big culprit

I have see cases where the installer has drilled into the back of a plug and conected an aircon or pool pump, so even when you think youve unplugged everything they are still connected...
    going by what youve told me i would say its a breaker fault.
    "We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." William Ralph Inge

"I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did, I would believe it to be full of the souls of people who were cruel to animals." Gary Larson

“The world is changed by people crazy enough to believe they can”