Serengeti,Ngorongoro,Lake Taringire,Lake Manyara and Ambuseli

Question Serengeti,Ngorongoro,Lake Taringire,Lake Manyara and Ambuseli

Hi

Im going on a trip to the said parks

I just want advise on money issues

Is it best to take all in US Dollars or what?

Await your reply

Goose

Yes.............. lots & lots of them.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Yes.............. lots & lots of them.
    Mike
    And then take some more... in a variety of denominations, including ones and fives for tips, small purchases etc. Major centres do have ATMs and Bureaux de Change.

If you already have Euros and Pounds, don't exchange and endure double Forex fees. You will be able to use them at banks in Tanz. However, USD seems to be the easiest to work with when traveling.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Hi Goose, take US $. At Lake Manyara (the BEST of all!) and Tarangire you can split a day permit into two days. First day go from 12 - 18, next day go from 6 to 12. But you must talk to them before! At Ngorongoro go as early as possible, we did go there at 5:30 and was the first at the gate, it takes about 40 - 50 minutes to arrive at the place where you descend into the crater. Theres a checkpoint. If its low season, they will allow you to stay in the crater the whole day. If they ask you to take a guide with you, be cheeky. I wold them, I have my own guide with me and pointed to my husband in the car. As earlier you are, as better that works. They don't want to work as early.
    If you stay at Panorama Campsite, you are in the middle between Crater and Lake Manyara, ist not very clean, but has a wonderful view. Near Tarangire is a campsite about 5 km from the gate, the Zion Camp at Kwa Kuchina, clean and simple.

Tarangire: http://meet-the-oceans.de/html/11___12_september.php
    Lake Manyara: http://meet-the-oceans.de/html/3___4_september.php
    Ngorongoro: http://meet-the-oceans.de/html/7___8_september.php

Just to get an impression....

Enjoy your trip,

Bee
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2011/04/07 at 08:27 PM.

Correct there is very little that can be paid in Tsh for foreigners . I recall our groceries in Arusha Shoprite being paid in USD . Ive got a 500 Tsh note still in my wallet , and that wont get me a coke on my next trip .

We are in Mwanza at the moment having traveled from Malawi up the east coast of Tanzania and then across the northern parks (Manyara, Ngorongoro, Serengeti).

We always carry US$ as a back up but we haven't had to use any $ cash at all over the 5 weeks we have spent in Tanzania except for park fees on Mafia Island ($80).

Park fees for non-residents are in $ but you can pay by card (Visa or Mastercard), everywhere else they were happy to accept Tanzanian Shillings - even when the price is quoted in $. Exchange rate used is 1,500 to $1 across the board which is pretty good.

We had no trouble using our debit cards in Tanzanian ATMs and you can withdraw up to 400,000 shillings in one go.

Hope that helps. If you would like any recent info on roads, journey times, parks etc let me know. I have internet access today but probably not for a while after that.

The official XE rate is 1512 : 1 , so the rate you're getting is very good .

Generally the golden rule is " Pay with the currency its priced at " .

Enjoy your travels .