Fridge and Dust

Thread: Fridge and Dust

Default Fridge and Dust

Hi all,

i have an engel 80l combi which will travel in the back of my colt - the van has a canopy fitted, but dust (quite a bit actaully) still gets into the bin when travelling dirt roads.

my question is:

1. is this a common problem with d/c's with canopies - in other words: is it something i must just accept or have it looked into?;
    2. should it be a serious concern in respect the fridge.

Any comments, inputs or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers from a somewhat cooler but heavily congested because of the A1 grandprix durban today.

* "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

thanks Spike - will have a look.

Default Foam

On my DC I found that where the roll bar connects to the load bed at the back of the cab that there are two small square holes behind the roll bar that go through the load bed into the wheel arches. I plugged these holes with some foam that I cut to size and my dust problem was solved.
    "Man is still the greatest miracle and the greatest problem on this earth"

The only place I got significant dust in the back of the DC was on the roads to and back from Kgalagadi. The dust was only on the rear-most items so my theory is that the lower pressure area behind the canopy sucks up the dust and then it penetrates through the tailgate and the area between the tailgate and the door of the canopy.

When we go again I'll try to seal it a little better but it's not a day-to-day problem for me.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

thanks - i actually find most dust right behind the cab - it may be that the actual holes where the rollbars are fitted, may be the problem. i've got a skytop canopy which has no "front window" are - the whole canopy connects to the cab with a rubber seal - according to their website, the canopy shoud be dust proof but obviously the rest of the bin not. maybe then it can be the seal as well. i think i'll silicone the holes and leave the sliding window slightly open to create positive pressure and see if it works. if not i may have to take the van back to skytop.

Just open the front sliding window if there is one. One of the side windows is also fine. Only a little bit is required. It's only to raise the pressure slightly inside the canopy.
    Some people put a flap on top or use a 2.8D colt intercooler vent.
    all this is working, I grew up in Namibie next to the Mata Mata gate, no tar roads.
    No sealing at the tailgate is required if you do this.
    Land Cruiser 79, V8
    1952 CJB3 Willys Jeep.
    Mercedes C Class
    LandCruiser VX 80 Turbo

You will always get dust entering the back of your d/c. This is usually not a problem with the canopy but rather the gaps in the body work around the back. There are drainage holes that let dust in, there is the gaps around the tailgate and the gaps from the role bars etc. I also have a Skytop canopy and would safely say they are dust and waterproof. It's the bodywork that is not.

i bought my Engel up in Elisras. This was sfter meeting up with one of them 4x4/hunting guys who just about lived in his Cruiser pick up with such an Engel mounted on the back.
    Fair enough, he had a cover around it, but it was exposed to all other elements from rain to dust and sun. He claims it has been there for over three years and he has had no problems what so ever.
    Therefore I reckon one could say that dust should not pose a problem. Remember too that all "moving" parts are sealed and wires etc should not be affected by dust.

M2CW

Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    Hi all,

i have an engel 80l combi which will travel in the back of my colt - the van has a canopy fitted, but dust (quite a bit actaully) still gets into the bin when travelling dirt roads.

my question is:

1. is this a common problem with d/c's with canopies - in other words: is it something i must just accept or have it looked into?;
    2. should it be a serious concern in respect the fridge.

Any comments, inputs or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers from a somewhat cooler but heavily congested because of the A1 grandprix durban today.
    EVH

Long time no hear.....

I do not think that you should be too worried about this as I can testify that I run a 40L Engel covered in a cover and yes - you do get quite a bit of dust. I have never had a problem though and suggest that you simply keep it clean especially after quite a severe trip. The cover does add a bit of comfort!

Hope this helps!

Cheers
    RANGER 1

aka Staal

It's a Ford thing - please try to understand!!

Ford Mondeo ST 220
    Ford Ranger 2.5 DC 4x4 ( Camil suspension / Navstar / Garmin 5 / Dual battery system / MT / AT etc.
    Venter Bushbaby with some goodies!

www.bospelle.co.za