New G-Class going soft ??

Default New G-Class going soft ??

Quote :

"all-terrain prowess has been continuously improved on by the addition of the latest electronics"

I just hope Toyota is not listening with their new 100 Cruiser on it's way in October / Nov !!!!

http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=1750

Facelift for Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    Quote :

"all-terrain prowess has been continuously improved on by the addition of the latest electronics"
    Open your diary, the year is 2007, not 1907! Electronics are here to stay.

a modified centre console with redesigned switches plus a new-look control unit for the air conditioning
    Common to all three G-Class models is the modified centre console with its new controls and switches for the air conditioning and convenience functions. Not only does the new centre console give the cockpit added visual appeal, it is designed to make operating the controls more foolproof.
    I'm not sure whether the added electronic bits are a good or a bad idea. Prolly a bit of both, but all the rave about the new centre console sounds as revolutionary as the new Defender.

Does it keep the diff locks that the old G's used to have?

Quote Originally Posted by amaDisco View Post
    Open your diary, the year is 2007, not 1907! Electronics are here to stay.
    That might be, but if it breaks in the middle of nowhere in Africa... jada jada jada... you know the rest.

The basic design for this model dates back to 1989, it is the W463 series G Wagon and not the W460 series one used to get during the 1980s. This model is permanent 4WD, equipped with 3 diff locks as well as solid axles front and rear.

All "civilian" G wagons currently for sale are luxury W463 models. Mercedes also manufactures the W461 model for military and NGO etc. use, they are the "nice" ones. All late 1990s 290 Turbo Diesel models where W461s. All early 2000s G500 models where luxury W463s. The majority of G Wagons in South Africa are 1980s W460 models.

To answer the question, the "new" G wagons in the articles in the press are W463 models, with basic mechanics dating back to 1989. The W463 4x4 system is superior to the W460/W461 system most people are familiar with in this country. For model details see http://www.g4rce.net/engl/models.html.

The only new (W463) G wagon available in RHD configuration is the G55 AMG. Priced @ approx R2.5 million each.

One of the best 4x4's! But will you be able to get spares?
    Adriaan

Spares are absolutely no problem. And with such few changes to the models they are mostly interchangeable from the first '79 models to the current models.

Quote Originally Posted by jambo View Post
    Spares are absolutely no problem. And with such few changes to the models they are mostly interchangeable from the first '79 models to the current models.
    ...and the G55 AMG should use the same engine spares as the SL55 AMG!!

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Default New G-Wagons

These G55 are awsome vehicles. I personally do not like all the electronics, but in this case, it is an improvement, I must agree. Some specs. on the G320CDI. 180KW and 540NM torque at 1800RPM!!! Man with all that power and torque combined with the 3 diff locks this thing is unstoppable. The 55AMG is even more impressive, 400KW and 750nm torque.
    These vehicles come standard with incline/decline, tracktion control, but as soon as you engage low range it automatically disengages the electronics and it is up to the driver.
    Somehow I think they lost the real purpose of these vehicels. At R2.3M who will take it off road? This is true for most of the manufacturers these days. The vehicels are so advanced and pricy that you do want to take it out in the bush and pick up a few scratches.
    I would like to see some manufacturer bold enough to put a simple straight forward 4x4 on the market. This should be a lot cheaper than the present vehicles and you can work on it yourself. I am the first one to say that they will not have the power nor economy of the modern vehicles but at least you wont need a computor to work on it.
    Andre
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Driving back today a G55 AMG passed. What a car! I think the driver was pushing it a bit. I was driving in a C220CDI and barely kept up!

The G class accelerated like a rocket and cruised (looked like it) at 180km/h. However I noticed that it is still a big 4x4. The guy had to break at almost all the corners and the C-class was more the racer around the corners. The G-class took some corners a bit unneat but what do you expect going around corners at 140+ in a big 4x4?

One day when I am big!
    Adriaan

WoW! That sounds great. Its got to be one of the best cars on the planet in my books. Would love to have one....

ven-africa Guest

Default "G-class go soft" HAHAHAHA!

Mercesdes G-class go soft never that body style you showed has been around sense 1994 and has prove it self over and over again. yes the inside is fance like that of a saloon but never mistake the machanics of it all are still a tuff a ever.

However i as a toyota lover aswell i would be more worry about the new direction the toyota land cruiser is taking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

<p>Since the late 1970's......and more than 70% still running, even in military application. If you would put lipstick on Vin Diesel, would he suddenly become a sissy? Nope.</p>

The party trick is that you can select low range while on the move.....
    Last edited by BosDonkie; 2012/09/29 at 02:49 PM.