New Potjie - What now?

Default New Potjie - What now?

Hi Guys

I have bought a new potjie and used it once, but don't want it to rust. I can remember that my dad use to use something (fat, oil , cant remember)to protect his potjie back in the day.

What do you suggest I do to protect it and to avoid rust?

Attached is a pic of my Cholesterol potjie this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    To Operate Your Own Terrific Automobile AKA TOYOTA

DONT PUT OIL!!!!! If your pot stands for any length of time the oil will go rancid and you will need to clean it before use. Rather clean after use and pack it full of rolled up balls of newspaper and keep the lid on. When you make potjie again you've got firelighters. :-)
    '98 Nissan Patrol 4.2d GU Y61
    “Donkie”
    Life is a journey, not a destination!!
    Try slowing down once in a while
    and soak up your surroundings.
    You might just surprise yourself.

just clean it,sray& cook it and put in some news paper(opgevrommel)en close the lid

ha...ha...hartebeespoort dam is n lekke dam wa die vissies die heeldag byt...

have you cleaned it yet this is what we do and it works!!

Have a nice Sunday braai...open beer...take some of the burning wood and basically make a fire inside the new pot! Let the fire burn and die by itself!...open second beer...throw out ashes and wash like you normally would with scrubber. Use your gas-stand and make it full of water. Throw in some "blomkool" and let it boil! You will be stunned to see the colour of the water, apart from the ash! the blomkool absorbs most of the dirty stuff! wash again! repeat procedure!

Do this until you see that the water is at last becoming clear! Wash! (almost done) Once this is done throw in some spekvet...guess its time for another cold one... and let it cook nicely, make sure it reaches all the inside of the pot! This seals the pot nicely.

Wash for the last time. Not like a madman! Dry it out. Take some news paper and spread a thin layer of cooking oil on the inside. Make sure you put some on the cover as-well. Then take some clean newspaper, bunch it up and put it inside and leave it there, this helps to absorb unwanted moisture. Done!!

By this time swambo will be sweating, you've had a couple of beers and the laaitie would have finished with the meat!!

Repeat the oil and newspaper procedure after everytime after use when you know its going to stand for a while!

Enjoy
    Last edited by sjbosbfk; 2011/03/03 at 10:52 AM.
    SOLANK DIT NET ONDER DIE STERRE IS!!!

sjbosbfk....and this maneuvre goes excellent with brandewyn and coke too! I just use potato peels in stead of the blomkool in your trusted recipe. Works well too!!
    It's a J e e p thing...........you would'nt understand!!
    Ek ry met stok-ou Jeeps, want dan dink almal ek's al lankal ryk!!
    Gee vir my 'n Coke......skoon Coke......met 'n dubbel Brannas in asseblief!!

Quote Originally Posted by sjbosbfk View Post
    have you cleaned it yet this is what we do and it works!!

Have a nice Sunday braai...open beer...take some of the burning wood and basically make a fire inside the new pot! Let the fire burn and die by itself!...open second beer...throw out ashes and wash like you normally would with scrubber. Use your gas-stand and make it full of water. Throw in some "blomkool" and let it boil! You will be stunned to see the colour of the water, apart from the ash! the blomkool absorbs most of the dirty stuff! wash again! repeat procedure!

Do this until you see that the water is at last becoming clear! Wash! (almost done) Once this is done throw in some spekvet...guess its time for another cold one... and let it cook nicely, make sure it reaches all the inside of the pot! This seals the pot nicely.

Wash for the last time. Not like a madman! Dry it out. Take some news paper and spread a thin layer of cooking oil on the inside. Make sure you put some on the cover as-well. Then take some clean newspaper, bunch it up and put it inside and leave it there, this helps to absorb unwanted moisture. Done!!

By this time swambo will be sweating, you've had a couple of beers and the laaitie would have finished with the meat!!

Repeat the oil and newspaper procedure after everytime after use when you know its going to stand for a while!

Enjoy
    , but this sounds like a procedure!!! I just remembered when you said it, my Dad use to "smeer it with spekvet" and it still looks brand new today.

Thanks for the advice, all this potjie talk has made me hungry now!
    To Operate Your Own Terrific Automobile AKA TOYOTA

ha...ha...hartebeespoort dam is n lekke dam wa die vissies die heeldag byt...

branna kan ook werk ja!!

small procedure that will last a lifetime!!!
    SOLANK DIT NET ONDER DIE STERRE IS!!!

Volg Stallion se voorbeeld as jy soos ek - naby die see bly. Spray & Cook - nie olie nie + koerant. My pot hang permanent buite onder my braai-area se afdak. Geen roes binne. Die roet op die buitekant keer die roes buite - spuit die deksel ook liggies met Spray & Cook. Julle ouens in die binneland - weg van die see - kan seker wegkom met net koerant.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Simple solution: Olive oil... Tried spray and cook, tried newspaper, tried normal oil, tried tail fat. Olive oil works the best, just pour some in and use a brush to spread it all around the pot. It doesn't go ransid, you can even use the same oil to brown the onions in when you use your pot again.
    ------------------------------------------------

2004 Toyota Hilux 2.4D
    1999 VW Caddy 1600

Quote Originally Posted by bmcbowles View Post
    Hi Guys
    I have bought a new potjie and used it once, but don't want it to rust.....
    What do you suggest I do to protect it and to avoid rust?
    What "Rust" do you get on the East Rand?
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Makro has "Bestduty" potjies on special, a No.2 is R349 and a No.3 is R399 PLUS it comes with a free attachment to cook a potjie on a gas bottle (Seperate it goes for R200+)

Just thought i would share
    ------------------------------------------------

2004 Toyota Hilux 2.4D
    1999 VW Caddy 1600

LewiesF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Juan "Bos Toe" Brand View Post
    DONT PUT OIL!!!!! If your pot stands for any length of time the oil will go rancid and you will need to clean it before use. Rather clean after use and pack it full of rolled up balls of newspaper and keep the lid on. When you make potjie again you've got firelighters. :-)
    That's right: use (new ) engine oil, it does not go rancid. Before use, rub the inside properly with conentrated dishwashing liquid, scrub with nylon (or whatever) dishwashing brush and then rinse it properly. It really works. Promise.

LewiesF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt24 View Post
    Simple solution: Olive oil... Tried spray and cook, tried newspaper, tried normal oil, tried tail fat. Olive oil works the best, just pour some in and use a brush to spread it all around the pot. It doesn't go ransid, you can even use the same oil to brown the onions in when you use your pot again.
    Now thís is brilliant. Thanks.

Weet iemand dalk waar mens die alluminium potte te koop kry?

Ek het dit eenkeer op 'n trip gesien en was baie beindruk.
    Hy word baie vinniger warm en as jy klaar is, was jy hom sommer met seewater uit!

LewiesF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martin le roux View Post
    Weet iemand dalk waar mens die alluminium potte te koop kry?

Ek het dit eenkeer op 'n trip gesien en was baie beindruk.
    Hy word baie vinniger warm en as jy klaar is, was jy hom sommer met seewater uit!
    Jammer jy is so ver, ek het dit al by ME Stores gesien en by 'n slaghuis hier naby. Amper seker outdoor warehouse hou dit ook aan.

The more you use it, the better it gets.

Initial preparations, vinegar, oil, salt, onions, blomkool, lemon juice, boiling, bla bla bla , are worth your while, but then,

use your potjie : the more you use it, the better it gets !
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is dié oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Your dad was right!!
    1. Go to your butcher and buy some pieces of cattle meat fat
    2. Put in your pot and cook it untill you can pore it through a sif into a container
    3. Clean the pot, take some of the cooled down fat and smear it inside and inside the lid
    4. Put the fat in the fridge, its good for 6 months

Clean the pot, smeer inside and out with fat. Put the pot upside down on the fire and let it burn all the fat away, inside and out.

What is left behind is a nice carbon layer

Repeat once a year if neccessary

I've used my # 3 pot for little over 18 years now and since 'prepping' it (with the ample assistance of El Capitano) I've never coated it with anything before storing it, just a couple of bunched up balls of newspaper to absorb moisture.

I believe the combination of cleaning with steel-wool and warming up the pot nicely and adding sunflower oil before starting the cooking process has given the inside an almost 'teflon' like quality.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL