Opinion wanted !!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Opinion wanted !!!!!

Had a member comment on my HID Conversion kits for sale - " It's illegal to fit these aftermarket !!!!!! " Profile name in SinWolf - can any one substantiate ( Ghost Traffic ) that an after market HID Kit fitted to HID compatible head lights is against the law ?!?!?! Not that I actually give a continental as murder, rape, armed robbery and corruption is also against the law but i just cant stand smug opinionated people who dont back up a statement with facts?!?!?!?! If it is illegal why am I allowed to import it openly

Andy a number of vehicles comes STANDARD with HID lights. Now how can these be legal if it is illegal to fit HID kits to other vehicles ?

would be interesting to see what Gost Traffic says.

I'll get back to you.
    Nico
    1996 Pajero 3.5 V6 LWB, OME, ARB bumber, 31" Hankook tyres

Will chat to my FIL tomorrow. He might be able to shed some light (traffic chief, stanger KZN) Err, excuse the pun!!!
    NISSAN PATROL GU 4.2D
    “Donkey”
    Life is a journey, not a destination!!
    Try slowing down once in a while
    and soak up your surroundings.
    You might just surprise yourself.

My thoughts exactly thats why I hate comments with no proof to back up what you have to say ! But then again I am not very law abiding

as far as I know - the law allows for a 60W headlight on each side of the car, and has some details on adjusting it correctly... plus 1 pair of extra driving lights, and the bright and dim can't come on together...

can't see why an HID globe is illegal. the law is obviously outdated - a 100W globe makes less lumens than a HID or LED light of 60W draw...

but legal - I can't see why not!!!

Lamps : General
    Reg 157, 158, 181, 182, 183 & 184
    All vehicles
    Reject if -
    a) any lamp required in terms of the NRTA & R or the RTA & R is not fitted. These are -
    i) headlamps with main and dipped beams;
    ii) front position lamps;
    iii) rear lamps;
    iv) stop lamps, and
    v) registration plate lamp(s);
    b) any lamp listed in (a) above is damaged, does not work or is not secure;
    c) any lamp is not bright enough to be seen from a distance of 150 m when visibility is such that persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible at 150 m;
    d) any lamp other than one authorized in terms of the NRTA & R or the RTA & R is fitted;
    e) any lamp, excluding a reversing lamp, a direction indicator and an official flashing identification lamp, emits a light that is not red in colour towards the rear;
    f) any lamp, excluding an official flashing identification lamp, emits a red light towards the front or to either side of the vehicle;
    g) any lamp is obscured by portions of the vehicle, excluding protective lamp grilles, or
    h) any lamp, excluding headlamps, fog lamps, spot lamps and inspection lamps, does not emit a diffused light.

Headlamps
    Reg 159
    SABS 1046
    SABS 1376-2
    All vehicles
    Reject if -
    a) the centre of any headlamp is less than 450 mm or more than 1,4 m from ground level, or more than 500 mm behind the front end of the vehicle;
    b) there is not a dipped-beam headlamp on each side of the longitudinal centre-line of the vehicle, with the outermost portion of its illuminating surface within 400 mm of the outer edge of the vehicle, unless a parking lamp is provided on the same side;
    c) there are more than three headlamps or more than one dipped-beam headlamp on each side of the longitudinal centre-line of the vehicle;
    d) any main or dipped beam is incorrectly adjusted in terms of the NRTA & R or the RTA & R;
    e) headlamp beams are not of similar intensity;
    f) any lens or reflective surface is clouded, discoloured, broken or loose;
    g) the dip switch does not function properly;
    h) any lamp is fitted with a lens of clear material, unless the lamp has other means of preventing dazzle;
    i) in the case of a motorcycle, a side-car is not fitted with either
    i) a headlamp;
    ii) a parking lamp on the outer edge of the front of the side-car;
    j) in the case of a motor tricycle with two wheels in front or a motor quadrucycle, there is not a dipped-beam headlamp on each side of the longitudinal centre-line of the vehicle, with the outermost portion of its illuminating surface within 400 mm of the outer edge of the vehicle, unless a parking lamp is provided on the same side;
    k) the main beam and dipped beam of a head lamp fitted to a motor vehicle first registered on or after 1 January 2001 do not comply with the requirements of SABS 1046 and SABS 1376-2; or
    l) in the case of a motor cycle without a side-car or a motor tricycle with one wheel in front, is not fitted in front with -
    i) one head lamp capable of emitting a main-beam and a dipped-beam;
    ii) one head lamp capable of emitting a main-beam and one head lamp capable of emitting a dipped-beam, both of which are fitted in the same vertical plane; or
    iii) two headlamps, each capable of emitting a main-beam and a dipped-beam, both of which are fitted in the same horizontal plane.

Now that's what the rule book states, but I'll confirm with a senior vehicle examiner tomorrow (since he's not answering his phone right now).

Nico.
    Nico
    1996 Pajero 3.5 V6 LWB, OME, ARB bumber, 31" Hankook tyres

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    i just cant stand smug opinionated people who dont back up a statement
    Easy guy, easy.

Thanks ghost traffic / juan "bos toe" brand - will wait for feedback Yes apocalypse - thats what I thought on the wattage - they are less than the max allowed so cant see the issue or the fact that in some model cars they are standard equipment !

If it is an illegal item why is it allowed to be imported as well ?!?!?!

Sin Wolf ............ you're very quiet
    Last edited by AndyF; 2011/02/28 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Grammar :(

This was posted a while ago and probably still holds true...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

I have also heard the "The're illegal" story.
    But really - is anyone going to notice? At the end of the day they help you see better in the dark, so make it safer.
    I personally do not like having a vehicle fitted with HID lts coming from ahead - I struggle to see properly, but then again I dislike driving too far at night anyway.
    It is a popular mod amongst the Cruiser crowd too. Only thing to remember is that not all headlights (thats the glass and reflectors) are compatible with the HID's and may also need upgrading.
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Andrew i wouldnt take that comment seriously.
    And if it were true then you not the only one selling illegal lights hey .

There is a big difference between import and use. There are many products on the market which you can legally import, but may not use, the fact that you are allowed to import it should not be your ticket to sell the product.

Found this at http://engineforsale.co.za/hid-headl...u-need-to-know

HID Headlights Can Be Illegal (What You Need To Know)
    You either already have HID Headlights installed to your vehicle, or have been planning on installing them to help improve the look of your vehicle and to help see better at nighttime. Maybe you’ve already shopped around and know what kind of HID Headlights you want to install or you could be trying to figure it out. What you do need to know though is HID Headlights can be illegal to have them added to your vehicle. You may have heard stories about people being ticketed for having HID Lights on their vehicle, but how do you know that you’re going to be safe from being pulled over by the Police?
    If you look on the box of HID Headlights, usually they say things such as: “DOT Approved.” Just to let you know, the DOT has never approved HID Headlights and has no plans of giving them the OK anytime in the future. Do if you get pulled over by the Police and you tell them that your bulbs are DOT approved, there’s a good chance that it won’t matter.
    But how can HID Headlights be illegal when everybody has them nowadays? Car Manufactures gave taken notice and began installing HID Lights to their newer vehicles. These bulbs are OK and nobody has to worry about them. If you have aftermarket HID Headlights installed, then you might have a problem.
    So how do I avoid getting into trouble by the law? To begin, stay away from cheaper, knock off versions of the bulbs. If you get pulled over with these on, you might even get into deeper trouble. The reason why is because the cheap versions are actually Halogen Bulbs that have a blue lens attached to it to make it look authentic. Because of this, the Police could see this as somebody trying to impersonate an officer. The way an Officer can find out if the bulb is fake or not is they take a white sheet of paper and hold it to the bulb. If the light turns the paper blue, you’re in big trouble. If it shines white, the bulbs are real.
    Another reason why people are pulled over for HID Bulbs is because they were installed improperly and blind other drivers. Make sure your bulbs are shining the correct way and not blinding others.
    Also if your lights are bouncing off of traffic signs and glaring, you will get pulled over. Be sure to stick with 6000k-8000k headlights in order to prevent getting pulled over.
    Learn more about HID Headlights. Stop by and watch our videos on illegal HID Head Lights.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

To me, the biggest problem I foresee would be the absense of a light sprayer system.

I enquired about the light water sprayers on the GV with the guy at Suzuki SA that actually draws up the spec we get here in SA. I asked him if he couldn't have dumped the light sprayers in favour of a feature that's more useful.

He said that he couldn't, as light sprayers are required by law on all cars with HIDs.
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; ½T=1 but, 1/2T=¼

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    Found this at http://engineforsale.co.za/hid-headl...u-need-to-know
    HID Headlights Can Be Illegal (What You Need To Know)
    You either already have HID Headlights installed to your vehicle, or have been planning on installing them to help improve the look of your vehicle and to help see better at nighttime. Maybe you’ve already shopped around and know what kind of HID Headlights you want to install or you could be trying to figure it out. What you do need to know though is HID Headlights can be illegal to have them added to your vehicle. You may have heard stories about people being ticketed for having HID Lights on their vehicle, but how do you know that you’re going to be safe from being pulled over by the Police?
    If you look on the box of HID Headlights, usually they say things such as: “DOT Approved.” Just to let you know, the DOT has never approved HID Headlights and has no plans of giving them the OK anytime in the future. Do if you get pulled over by the Police and you tell them that your bulbs are DOT approved, there’s a good chance that it won’t matter.
    But how can HID Headlights be illegal when everybody has them nowadays? Car Manufactures gave taken notice and began installing HID Lights to their newer vehicles. These bulbs are OK and nobody has to worry about them. If you have aftermarket HID Headlights installed, then you might have a problem.
    So how do I avoid getting into trouble by the law? To begin, stay away from cheaper, knock off versions of the bulbs. If you get pulled over with these on, you might even get into deeper trouble. The reason why is because the cheap versions are actually Halogen Bulbs that have a blue lens attached to it to make it look authentic. Because of this, the Police could see this as somebody trying to impersonate an officer. The way an Officer can find out if the bulb is fake or not is they take a white sheet of paper and hold it to the bulb. If the light turns the paper blue, you’re in big trouble. If it shines white, the bulbs are real.
    Another reason why people are pulled over for HID Bulbs is because they were installed improperly and blind other drivers. Make sure your bulbs are shining the correct way and not blinding others.
    Also if your lights are bouncing off of traffic signs and glaring, you will get pulled over. Be sure to stick with 6000k-8000k headlights in order to prevent getting pulled over.
    Learn more about HID Headlights. Stop by and watch our videos on illegal HID Head Lights.

something strikes me as odd here...

first he states that NO HID globe can be legal as NO HID globe is actually DOT approved.

but then he states HID globes are fitted as standard equipment - so either you don't need a DOT rating for a globe or SOME HIDs are DOT rated? or is my logic flawed?

so it seems SOME HID headlights are not actually HID lights - and it seems these are illegal ONLY because they have a blue tint on them?

or am I misreading this?

Hey guys. I'm not very technical. Neither am I very clued up with traffic regulations and the like. Due to my bad eyesight at night, I had a set of bosch HiD's fitted (6000k - globes rated at 35watts). The things shines bright white, and improves visibility range by quite a bit. Since the car was new, I drove it back to the agents here in Nelspruit to see if the retrofit will invalidate the warranty or cause any safety issues for the electronics. They checked the installation thoroughly and were pleased with it (no cutting of wires - its own relay and harness), and said that it would have no effect on the warranty. Obviously they would not honour a warranty on any of the new equipment fitted to the lights, but everything else was fine. So far, I'm very happy!
    2016 Mercedes C250d - surprisingly quick
    2013 Mercedes C200 Edition C - SOLD
    2013 PJS 2.5did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2010 PJS 3.2did 4x4 a/t - SOLD
    2009 Triton 2.5did 4x2 d/c - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by RedLineR
    To me, the biggest problem I foresee would be the absense of a light sprayer system.

I enquired about the light water sprayers on the GV with the guy at Suzuki SA that actually draws up the spec we get here in SA. I asked him if he couldn't have dumped the light sprayers in favour of a feature that's more useful.

He said that he couldn't, as light sprayers are required by law on all cars with HIDs.
    I've realized after reading this that the last three cars I've had all had xenons, and all had headlight sprayers. Why??
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    something strikes me as odd here...

first he states that NO HID globe can be legal as NO HID globe is actually DOT approved.

but then he states HID globes are fitted as standard equipment - so either you don't need a DOT rating for a globe or SOME HIDs are DOT rated? or is my logic flawed?

so it seems SOME HID headlights are not actually HID lights - and it seems these are illegal ONLY because they have a blue tint on them?

or am I misreading this?
    Hi Apoc
    It is all very confusing ! AFAIK is that the max power draw on an automotive globe is restricted to 55w. I quote about 5 years ago I went to Autostyle enquiring about 100w and 130w halogen globes for my spotlights. I was told that their container was stopped by customs and all of the globes above 55w were confiscated and destroyed. Now HID Xenon lights do not fall into that catagory because the ballast only draws 35w and a very few spotlights 55w. Both fall in with the frame of the law. Insofar as to stopping a vehicle or blocking a roadworthy it is going to be very difficult to prove why you should or should'nt have Xenon lights. Some new cars come out as standard with them and alot come as optional extra. So how do you police it. Both articles on previous threads are based on european and us stats or should I say first world nations which in Africa we do not have that luxury. I don't believe for one moment that HID Xenon upgrades or spotlights are illegal in this country and if they were CUSTOMS would have blocked them along time ago and those who were importing them would have lost alot of money and would not bother importing them again.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Hi Apoc
    It is all very confusing ! AFAIK is that the max power draw on an automotive globe is restricted to 55w. I quote about 5 years ago I went to Autostyle enquiring about 100w and 130w halogen globes for my spotlights. I was told that their container was stopped by customs and all of the globes above 55w were confiscated and destroyed. Now HID Xenon lights do not fall into that catagory because the ballast only draws 35w and a very few spotlights 55w. Both fall in with the frame of the law. Insofar as to stopping a vehicle or blocking a roadworthy it is going to be very difficult to prove why you should or should'nt have Xenon lights. Some new cars come out as standard with them and alot come as optional extra. So how do you police it. Both articles on previous threads are based on european and us stats or should I say first world nations which in Africa we do not have that luxury. I don't believe for one moment that HID Xenon upgrades or spotlights are illegal in this country and if they were CUSTOMS would have blocked them along time ago and those who were importing them would have lost alot of money and would not bother importing them again.
    ]

pretty much my opinion - there is no law stating that the light MUST be a incandescent 'resistance' type globe...

Funnily enough - the 110 and 130W globes - are perfectly legal for competition use, so it's not illegal to bring them into the country, so thats a bit odd...

actually - another point is that while roof lights are illegal - marker lights are not, you are allowed to have a few (I think 6?) 21W lights on top of your roof....

so surely its actually legal to have six 21W LED spot lights on your roof?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast