Coleman 5 Day Extreme Cooler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Coleman 5 Day Extreme Cooler

Just want to know if any person has perhaps first-hand experience with the Coleman 5 Day Extreme Cooler? Do the ice last 5 days in this specific cooler or is it just a marketing scam?

Thumbs up

I have both a 5 and a 6 day cooler and they are way above any other cooler box I ever used.

During our trip to Kosi bay in February last year, I kept Vacuum packed meat in the 6 day cooler on the 6th night the last portion nof meat was not frozen anymore ( but icy cold) when I removed it for the braai that night. On the 7th morning after packing up camp I still had ice left for some drinks. I normally use the 5 day cooler as the one you open regularly to remove/return things like cool drink, milk etc. and then the ice lasts about 3 days in it. But between the two I had enough cool drinks, fresh meat etc for our whole stay.

If we go away for the weekend I buy ice on the Friday before leaving. We then camp the whole weekend using both without worring about not opening the 6 day one too often as we did on our long trip, and there are normally ice left in the 6 day one by tuesday.

On more than one occasion, I tied the 5 day one to the back of my bakkie with a pack of ice and cool drinks in it and with this cool box in the sun the whole day. There are about 60 percent of the original ice left in the evening.

Smile

i used the five day cooler in namibia after you have your foodstuff in the rest of the space should be packed with ice so when you close it it expells the rest of the air . this will last the distance. also good to put frozen or already ice cold stuff in first

Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely help in the decision process!!

Probably my most used product! Just wish they make a small one!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

In the Durban heat, most cooler boxes seriously battle, but if I keep my 5 day in the shade, and don't open it too much, the ice/meat stays solid for about 3 days.

True about filling it to the brim with ice, and always put already chilled stuff in. Best value for money coller I have used, except for these bait cooler boxes a mate of mine has, they are the next level.

On longer trips, I use the 5 day with dry ice and normal ice, keeps meat (if I open it once a day) frozen for around 7 days!!!
    So much to see, so little time...

2000 Gen2.5 V6 Pajero

I have the day one and in dec we packed all the veggies (with ice packs) and had fresh veg and salad for a week. was very impressed
    If only people with closed minds also had closed mouths

I use a block of dry ice wrapped in newspaper in my coolerbox.
    What a pleasure.

We use the Auzzie made white coolerboxes (can't remember the name), and it works well keeping things frozen for 5 or 6 days if you don't open it too often. Now that we use the Engel, we use that as the freezer and cycle the iceblocks between the coolerbox and the freezer. Worked extremely well for a 12 day trip and we were the only ones who had ice left for the Johnny Walkers on the last night.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    We use the Auzzie made white coolerboxes (can't remember the name), and it works well keeping things frozen for 5 or 6 days if you don't open it too often.
    Techni-Ice? Saw them at Megaworld the other day, and I must say, judging by the thickness of their insulation I'd think they'd be pretty efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    Techni-Ice? Saw them at Megaworld the other day, and I must say, judging by the thickness of their insulation I'd think they'd be pretty efficient.
    That's the one - they make those gel-ice packs...

It's very efficient, and apparantly another advantage is that, because it's fibreglass, it's easy to fix....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Default Amfi Craft

Local (PE) supplier of fibre glass coolers (5day), my view is support local.

Product is highly rated and well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    That's the one - they make those gel-ice packs...
    Yep, I have three of them. They work quite well, but what I didn't realise was that there would always be some seepage of the gel through the same porous areas through which they absorb the water before you can use them. They always feel slightly slippery, like they have a puncture. Oh well. They still keep the stuff cold!

I also have a few of the Techni-Ice gel packs. It work very well, but it seems that the plastic cover on the gel pack is easily damaged. It does however have a terrible smell when it is "defrosted". Do the other members on the Forum, using the Tehcni-Ice Gel Packs, have the same experience?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
    I also have a few of the Techni-Ice gel packs. It work very well, but it seems that the plastic cover on the gel pack is easily damaged. It does however have a terrible smell when it is "defrosted". Do the other members on the Forum, using the Tehcni-Ice Gel Packs, have the same experience?
    I don't use them anymore because they're bit messy - only use the rigid ice blocks now, but even these are prone to bursting occasionally
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

I just buy bags of ice at the local supermarket. I fill the cool-box up with everything that needs to go in which I keep individually vacuum sealed and then fill up all the spaces with ice. Then I put two bags of ice still sealed on top of every thing. On a daily basis I will then just open the drain at the bottom to let the water out. This box (Coleman Ultra Extreme 6-day Cooler) is not opened regularly.

In my 5-day cooler I normally keep the drinks in. In this one I keep the water in. It helps to cool down the warm drinks I put in quicker. 8) 8)

I must say if you don’t have a fridge and want to use a cooler box for a trip into the unknown dry ice is a brilliant option. Will keep meat frozen solid for days. Available at Dry Ice International 011 397 2674 there’s another company called Hot-Ice but I don’t have their contact details.
    If only people with closed minds also had closed mouths

I always buy in Edenvale/Kempton - 011 974 6935
    Jeep Wagoneer man!
    Series III Landy man!
    I eat Chillies for breakfast man!

Do you know of any places in PTA?

Nog nie droe ys gebruik nie. Werk dit lekker??Kom dit in poeier vorm?
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast