Overland West Africa Feb 2011

Default Overland West Africa Feb 2011

I'm in Accra, waiting to hear my verdict on the Angola visum. Heading out to Togo, Benin and on ti Nigeria. Want to cross over into Cameroon 1 March 2011. Gabon, Congo, DRC, Angola, Namibia and home. Anybody en-route want to join up. Just let me know, or if you have any info on the roads ahead. Please let me know!!
    Merlinda
    woman alone overlanding West Africa

Don't rush through Cameroon.....it's a fantastic country!

I remember the hinterland between Cameroon and Nigeria being pretty wild......with drunk and corrupt police and military setting up random roadblocks and just taking their chances. Watch yourself, and have plenty of time left on your visa. When applying for a Nigerian visa, don't get a Transit visa,whatever you do.....make sure you get a Tourist visa, and ask for a month even if you only intend being there for 4 or 5 days. There is nothing the officials like more than stopping you when your papers are about to run out.

I have a great tip for Ghana-Togo-Benin-Nigeria ............write yourself a sign in big capital letters and stick it on your dash somewhere, telling you which side of the road you're supposed to be driving on! I had a wild game of chicken with an oncoming truck somewhere in that lot, not sure whether to head over to the left or right hand side of the road.......

The roads ahead?! Whoa......you ain't seen nothing yet!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Default Woman alone through West Africa

Thank you for our info. I had a great time in Nigeria with a lot of very nice, sometimes very drunk and sometimes very corrupt officials. Camaroon was fantastic and crossing the equator a magical experience!
    I'm safe and sound back in South Africa after 20 030km and 100 days. As far as I know I'm the first woman to travel solo from Europe to South-Africa in a 4x4!
    Merlinda

Great stuff!! We all look forward to hearing a bit more about it, and to seeing some photos.

I'm afraid that you may not be the first female solo trans-Africa traveller. I met a French lass doing it on her own in 1994, and she told me that she wasn't the first.........a German girl had done it years previously. That doesn't take away from your achievement though.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Hi Merlinda, congratulations on a great journey. I'm sure my colleagues at the Pretoria News would love to do a story on your trip. If you're keen email me on [email protected] and I'll pass on your info on Sunday when I am back at work.

Well Done! Welcome back!
    Peet Schultz

Any Photos to share with us
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)