Gas, petrol & diesel used in a vehicle's engine

Arrow Gas, petrol & diesel used in a vehicle's engine

Info required please
    Okay guys I am now going to pick your brains for this info, (yes I am a mechanic but we do not know everything)

If I have a vehicle that uses Gas as a fuel to run the engine.
    If I have a vehicle that uses Diesel to run the engine.
    If I have a vehicle that uses Petrol to run the engine.

Which of the following will keep the engine oil the cleanest? Or the viscocity the best?

The reason why I am asking you this question is because one of my clients has a small 1.8 ton forklift and it runs on GP LP Gas, I have been asked to service the machine as he recons that it is over due on a service, however when I had a look at the engine oil, it was still very clean, it was not black like what diesel fuel does to an engine or brownish from a petrol engine.

Now is the oil in this forklift clean because it is running on LP Gas and it does not get the impurities of carbon from the gas like what happens from a diesel or petrol engine?

Your thoughts on this matter will be highly appreciated.
    Thank's

That was exactly the sales pitch used by a guy trying to sell a gas conversion to me a few years ago. - Long oil life, no carbon deposits, virtual lifetime sparkplug life, etc. etc.

For once, I believed a salesman!

In the UK it is a very popular conversion to change V8 Rangies, Discos and Defenders to LPG. The guys report the same benifits, as well as reduced fuel costs. (no road tax etc on the LPG.)

BTW, my wife's uncle is the manager at a forklift workshop/agent. The toyota LPG fuelled forklift runs the same old 2.2 engine that was used in the Hilux....If you drive one of these, you can get a "genuine Toyota" LPG conversion

Thank's for the feed back, this forklift has a Mazda engine fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gert du Preez View Post
    In the UK it is a very popular conversion to change V8 Rangies, Discos and Defenders to LPG. The guys report the same benifits, as well as reduced fuel costs. (no road tax etc on the LPG.)
    Popular conversion in Oz too.

Disco 2 TD5 XS
    Disco 2 V8 XS
    A platkar
    A bicycle

Many of the used Toy engines imported from Japan actually come from gas powered vehicles and require quite a few changes to run properly on petrol. A friend bought one a few years ago and battled his backside off to get it to run properly on petrol, until he figured out what the reason was. I think they have a slightly lower compression ratio than the petrol models, as well.

Thys,

I dont think the compression ratio is lowered. Not on the 4Y Toy mill, in any case. Reason I say this is I was looking at a DC Hilux a while back, and speculated that even if the engine is shot, I can get a complete new engine with starter motor and carb at Apex for R 9000. Thats when swambo's uncle said that they sommer buy one of those and do an engine swop when they have to work on a well used forklift. I dont think they will go through the effort of reducing compression etc. Maybe just swop the gas thingamajig over.

But then, the 4Y is not exactly a high compression competition engine

Would runing it on LP GAS be cheaper here in SA? I thing gas is more expencive here.
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Indeed gas will be the cleaner option.

And afaik, and please European members correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the LP gas you can get in Europe for vehicles doesn't have the odour added. Here in SA on LPG forklifts you still smell that odour that's added, as we can't purchase gas here without it.
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; T=1 but, 1/2T=