From Mail &Guardian

Default From Mail &Guardian

Read the article titled: 'Moonlight Robbery in Mozambique', and see whether you agree that some folk should not be allowed to travel further than the local park, for their own good.

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ght__national/

Scary considering my trip is coming up next month. Definately no night driving.

I am also going to Moz next month, where you guys going?

Not further than Vilanculous.. We'll be at the border around the 1st April. Head for Vilanculous and work our way down along the coast for the next 10 days. Visit places like Pomene, Inhambane,Zavora, Bilene and Santa Maria. Need to be back in Cape Town on the 15th April. We'll be sticking to the coast as far as possible and be doing lots of fishing.

Where will you be going?

Going through at Lebombo on 23/24 March, we'll also be doing Bilene on our way up, then Morrungulu (base for a couple of days), from there we'll most probably visit Pomene and a couple of other places, them Xai-xai and home.

We went to Morrungulu last year, without the stay overs, this year we want to take in a bit more of the country, its truly amazing!

Thumbs down The complete truth....???

Regarding this article...the author did not take the "new" currency change into account. It causes confusion & he should have done a bit of homework before venturing into Moz/Maputo...especially after you write & before you publish such an article....
    The moz currency lost the last 3 zero's...but all locals still talk about millions, hence the 3 million they demanded was actually 3000 mets which equal about R800.00

Basically, they sound like a bunch of fools...no responsible person ventures around in Maputo at 22:00 if you are not familiar with the place and that after taking "shots of the night life" I am certian they had a couple of drinks?? The fact that they went back to "show/prove" to the official that there is no visible markings tells me they got a bit arrogant/defensive as well....

I am not saying that police corruption is not a big problem, but...this sounds like a one sided story with pieces of the truth left untold to benefit the author....

I am in Moz every 2 weeks for about 2 weeks at a time since I have a business up there. I have traveled the road from Jhb via Resano, Maputo, XaiXai, Inhambane to Vilanculos more than enough....

a Few pointers:

Maputo is bad, try to avoid it if you are not with someone who can speak Portuguese and know their way - especially at night....rather experience the night life in Maputo at your hotel...

Do not break the speed limit (drive slower than the limit) even if all the local vehicles do what they want, they spot a SA number plate a mile away...
    Wear your safety belt.
    Make sure you have all the relevant markings when towing.
    Do not become arrogant & argumentative ...play dumb & submissive!

Make sure you have your 3rd party insurance. They caught me 2 weeks ago without 3rd party insurance at 23:00 on the outskirts of Maputo because all insurance agents at the border post were closed when we came in and I did not have time to stop at Outdoorwarehouse the previous days before the trip to buy the insurance... the spot fine is 6 million MZ which is actually 6000 MZ which was about R 1700. I got away with a R300.00 buy off.
    I was not too happy about the bribe, but, I was in the wrong as well...should have kept my side clean then I would have had no hassle....

JeepOnly Guest

Default Corrupt or just a Beggar ?

I returned from Maputo on Friday after visiting a client. My experience was not nearly as bad as what was told in the M&G, but worrying none the less. I changed only R500,00 at Komatipoort prior to entering Moz, and was confused about the new currency as on my prior visit I changed R500,00 and was an instant Millionaire, however this time I only received around R1700 Mets ?

After driving for a short while into Moz I noticed what looked like a Police control point just past the first Toll gates and stopped to ask a Police officer standing beside a marked police car whether the currency had infact recently changed to a new note with three less zero's. . . . . as I started thinking that I had just been conned by one of the many (no MANY) money changers on the side of the road.

I very quickly realised that I had made a very big mistake as this guy did not understand a word I was saying in English, but immediatly indicated that I should hand him some cash with the "thumb rubbing". I stayed calm, and just laughed him off, but when I started driving off, he lent over into the passenger window and grabbed a packet of sweets and a cold drink I had bought minutes earlier in Komatipoort and simply strolled off.

Stictly speaking I had just been robbed by a Police Officer right in front of a Police Station (Or something to that effect) with at least two others just looking on, but was clever enough to simply laugh it off and kept driving. Needless to say I remained thirsty all the way to the new SASOL Garage just before entering the city of Maputo. . .

This is the reason why Africa is, has always been and will always be a burden on the rest of the world. Too bloody lazy to work, always willing to steal and threaten anybody that remotely looks "wealthy" by their standards.

Every time I see that ...... it brings a smile to my face. Rott in the gutter you knuckle dragging, useless scum!!

I agree with PieterIsusu4x4. How many people will travel around Johannesburg city at night ? They do sound like wollies.

Moz. government has dropped 3 zero's on their currency quite a while back already. (i think about 8 or so months ago)

Its like anywhere in Africa. Give them an excuse or be rude and you will come off second best.

I was caught speeding last week on my way back from Vilanculos. 71 in a 60 zone. The standard fine is 3 million mets (Mts3000 in new) no matter what speed over the limit you do. I was very polite, offered them a coke and left without paying anything. Cost me 2 cokes and a packet of chips. Yes it is bribary and I was wrong for speeding but my point is if you are polite you will get away with alot more.

In 15 years of travelling in Moz I have never had any problems with cops. Im not saying that there are no bad cops but if you know how to handel them and you treat them with respect you can get away with alot. Try giving a SA cop lip when he pulls you over and see what happens. Its the same everywhere.
    My 2 mets.....
    Last edited by BruceT; 2007/03/12 at 08:44 PM.

You should think the people will wake up and treat and look after visitors, then the people will invest then everyone will have work and all will get money, but some greedy bastard always screw it up for their fellow citizens. I WILL NOT TRUST ANY AFRICAN STATE. They have a lot to offer, but a small mistake can spoil a holiday. We know our system. The moment a cop bribe me I just say "bugger off, put my car in gear and just go. never had them chasing me, but dont try it in an african state.
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Zimbabwe in December, leaving Harare on our way to Kariba we where pulled off at a standard police road block the guy checked us out. As we closed the back up again the chap grabbed a 1liter bottle of mineral water. I got back in and drove off watching the policeman down this bottle of water. Unlucky chap >> the water we filled up from a dodgy bucket of water at the garage, for the radiator... ; ) sure his stomach was a little upset that night
    If only people with closed minds also had closed mouths

JeepOnly Guest

Default I cannot agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    This is the reason why Africa is, has always been and will always be a burden on the rest of the world. Too bloody lazy to work, always willing to steal and threaten anybody that remotely looks "wealthy" by their standards.

Every time I see that ...... it brings a smile to my face. Rott in the gutter you knuckle dragging, useless scum!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I DO NOT AT ALL AGREE WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT and feel it is irresponsible to condemn a whole continent for the corruption and greed of a few individuals even if they do consist of members of the Police etc !!! I have read and heard many similar reports from Eastern Europe, South America, etc etc, so it is NOT AN AFRICAN PROBLEM ALONE, but prever hearing only from the actual party, as I have long ago stopped listening to reports that state "A friend of mine . . . . "

I may have just been fortunate that I have never enqountered serious problems, but I have to add that I have done some serious trips in Africa and very seldomly enqountered problems, AND NEVER A SERIOUS ONE, that could not be handled in an African manner (i.e. patience) On the other side of the scale we have VERY OFTEN BEEN ASSISTED by locals who had nothing to give but two hands to help us dig our way out of mud, and when done refused to take a cent and simply went on their way.

I mentioned my recent insident in Moz, and I am certain that the outcome of that whole matter rested in my hands, and it was easy to resolve by quick thinking, and although it was WRONG from his point of view, it could have happened anywhere in the world. So will I ever go back to Moz ?

HELL, I CANT WAIT ! ! !

I agree JeepOnly, I've been to Moz many times and am going up there on holiday end of March and can't wait
    If only people with closed minds also had closed mouths

I can see where aubrey comes from as a few make it very difficult for all. I love the place but neither me or any of my fishing friends has not been victimised in moz. My father in law had the same thing with the police in maputo going there for work and the hotel staff got them out and said it is a usual problem and 3 months ago a missionary, Allison Fielden, in Dar es salaam came and bought a conceror trailer to take back for his mission work [there for 20 years] and got stopped and impounded the trailer and had to fork out 3000usd to go further. He had alll the right paperwork but got trapped by moz corruption!!!
    I cannot feel easy going there ,although I love the place, as you just dont know when you will see the wrong end of a corrupt official. I still know some of the operators and lodge owners and always get told its nice and safe and no corruption, cos if the dont say that they will loose loads of business as they are totally dependant on sa business. Suppose you have to live with it if you want to enjoy another country.
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by JeepOnly View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I On the other side of the scale we have VERY OFTEN BEEN ASSISTED by locals who had nothing to give but two hands to help us dig our way out of mud, and when done refused to take a cent and simply went on their way.

!
    This is the part we should hear about and represents 90% of the population!!
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

JeepOnly Guest

Hi Engel.

Please dont get me wrong, as I am also well aware of the real dangers of travelling, and call me naive or stupid, but I simply always attempt my best to adapt to the situation, and by taking a relaxed smile on the face approuch usually works best.

I would however also recommend that it you have plenty of gold fillings in your teeth, not to smile to wide or to long, as you may come home with tooth ache AFRICA AINT FOR SISSIES ! !

Yes it does happen but dont condem the whole country.

For those of you wanting to experience Mozmbique from another angle.

I will be travelling the Pafuri route in December. Anyone is welcome to join me. There will be no tour costs except for your own food, drink, petrol, border fees and accomodation in Pafuri and Vilanculos.(I can help with Vilanculos bookings)

In between Pafuri and Vilanculos we will be bush camping close to a village with a chief permission, so you will have to be self sufficient to a certain extent. I have 2 children (12 and 7) that will be travelling with me. A 4x4 is neccessary.

If you may be interested contact me and I will put the plans together.

Regards
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT