Route ideas in Kenya

Default Route ideas in Kenya

Hello everybody,

in my trip plan I devide to concentrate in Kenya - 21 days including the air trips.
    So, my first guess is

Day 1 / 2: Air trip
    Day 3: Nairobi - TSavo East
    Day 4: TSavo East
    Day 5: TSavo East to TSavo west (game drive during the trip)
    Day 6: TSavo West
    Day 7: TSavo west to Amboseli
    Day 8: Amboseli
    Day 9: Amboseli
    Day 10: Amboseli to Masai Mara (lunch at Carnivore in Nairobi)
    Day 11 - 16: Masai Mara
    Day 17: Masai Mara - Lake Nakuru
    Day 18: Lake Nakuru
    Day 19: Lake Nakuru - Nairobi
    Day 20 / 21: Air trip

I have doubts about TSavo, Amboseli and Lake Nakuru.
    Did they deserve more or less days ?
    Please, I'd really love to hear your comments.

Thanks in advance,
    Itamar

Hi Itamar,

Game viewing in Tsavo East and West can be excellent, but the bush is pretty dense in places, so you have to be patient. The elephant numbers are at about 11 000 across both sections, last I heard. Also, most of the area north of the Galana River is off-limits to casual visitors. Most of the tourism access is to the "developed" area of Tsavo West around Ngulia and Kilaguni, with some superb birding. Mzima Springs with its underwater viewing chamber is brilliant.
    I haven't been to Amboselli recently, but it was very overgrazed, with extensive grazing of Maasai cattle inside the park on my last visit about seven years ago - I would check the current situation. The Mara is always brilliant - can get a bit crowded around good sightings, but if you can avoid the mini buses, it is great. You can spend ages in one spot just watching stuff happen around you.

Amboseli is an old dream.
    I can't die without making a photo of an elephant herd with Kilimanjaro in the background ;-)
    I will plot these places of TSavo in T4A

Tony, do you think the general plan is well balanced ?

Thanks a lot !

Regards,
    Itamar

Quote Originally Posted by itamar.vieira View Post
    Amboseli is an old dream.
    I can't die without making a photo of an elephant herd with Kilimanjaro in the background ;-)
    I will plot these places of TSavo in T4A
    Tony, do you think the general plan is well balanced ?
    Thanks a lot !
    Regards,
    Itamar
    Yes, very nicely balanced. I take it you are doing this as a self drive? If you have time to spare or get bored and alter your itinerary, the Aberdares National Park is a gem, rising as it does to over 4 000m. Elephant, lion etc in an Afro-Alpine setting - dramatic. Approach it from the Nyeri side, rather than from Naivasha.

Indeed Tony.
    It will be self-drive as usual :-)
    I'll take a look at Aberdares.
    Seems nice !

Thanks,
    Itamar

I did that drive - East to West- through the Aberdares in '87. Really is worth it. Don't be in a hurry if you decide to try it.

Default Kenya trip

Hi,
    although East and West Tsavo are beautiful, as Tony says, the game is a bit shy and unless you're not too bothered about the game, I would prob drop the East Tsavo leg. Amboselli is a must. A lot of game died there about 3 years ago in the droughts but we had good rains the last couple of years and the big tusk Elephant are definitely worth seeing.
    Carnivore is not what it used to be - game meat is out now (unless you like Camel & Croc!). It's okay if you NEED to stop over but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
    The road to the Mara has finally been rebuilt; at least as far as Narok (Nairobi to Maai Mahiu is undulating "Kenyan" tar & good tar from Maai Mahiu to Narok).

Where are you staying in the Mara? If possible stay away from the border - there have been a few robberies (rumoured to be cross border but not necessarily).

I would also second Tony's suggestion of the Aberdares - my favourite place in Kenya. It's stunning & remote scenery with 1000 ft waterfalls is still unspoilt (luckily everyone else goes to the Mara and the Aberdares is a bit of a secret). KWS has a couple of good, clean Bandas (7 bed I think) for a very reasonable rent (book in advance). Elephant herds at 10,000 ft must be pretty unique! Also Buffalo, various antelope & leopard if you're lucky and trout fishing.
    @ Tony - the road from Naivasha isn't too bad these days (by Kenyan standards) & avoids the need to drive through Thika It would also fit in with a drive from the Mara.

Nakuru is okay if you feel the need to tick off the Rhino & Leopard which can be almost guaranteed in the Nakuru Nat Park.

Other suggestions would be a little further north to lake Bogoria & Baringo - or Lake Turkana if you're REALLY adventurous! :0)

All the best
    Martin
    V8BETTERBYFAR

1996 3.9 V8i ES Discovery
    1984 3.5 V8 Range Rover
    1988 3.5 V8 110

Hi Martin and all !

Great tips in your post.
    My final plannings is as follows:

July 31 - Arrive in Nairobi and sleep in Nairobi (Kenya comfort Hotel) http://www.kenyacomfort.com/
    Arrive Aug 1 to departure Aug 4 th - Amboseli Park (Kimbo safari camp)
    Arrive Aug 4th to departure Aug 7th - (Tsavo Park) http://www.tsavosafaricamp.com/
    Arrive Aug 7th to departure Aug 10th -Nakuru Lake park (Hotel water) http://www.hotelwaterbuck.com/
    Arrive Aug 10th to departure Aug 17th - Masai Mara Park (Mara spring) http://www.mountainrockkenya.com/marasprings.htm
    Aug 18 - came back in Nairobi (Kenya comfort hotel) - from Nairobi to Johannesburg
    Departure Aug 19 – from Johannesburg to Brazil

Unfortunately, I would need more days and preparation for Aberdares.
    I think it's the kind of place to a second visit, after the "Big Five" places of the first one :-)

I was very impressed for the images of Lake Nakuru and decided to take a chance.
    The reservations are closed and I hope it would be a good choice of places.

Regards,
    Itamar
    Last edited by itamar.vieira; 2011/04/04 at 08:32 PM.

Default Kenya Trip

Hi Itamar,
    good luck on your trip - shame you can't make the Aberdares, although 10,000 ft in August (winter) may be cold anyway.

I assume that you will be renting a vehicle in Kenya for your travels. If so then I would possibly suggest finding different accommodation for Nairobi & Nakuru (I stand to be corrected!). Downtown Nairobi isn't the prettiest place to stay and there are a few nice hotels in the suburbs or even good backpacker places for camping (depends on your budget).

Equally, Nakuru town is not the ideal location for a holiday either. If you haven't paid for the accommodation already I would keep your options open and see if you can find better places nearer or inside the Park. Again, depends how much you want to spend. If it is too late to change, I'm sure they will be clean it will work out ok.

You can find plenty of suggestions on this site elsewhere, but small hotels in African towns & cities may not be what you're looking for. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be a shame to come all this way to be disappointed by the wrong hotel.

Good luck,
    M
    V8BETTERBYFAR

1996 3.9 V8i ES Discovery
    1984 3.5 V8 Range Rover
    1988 3.5 V8 110

Martin,

this kind of advice is just what a traveller needs to avoid bad places and make a good trip.
    I know you mean and I would try to change accomodations as soon as possible.

Thank you, very, very much !

Kindest regards,
    Itamar