Berakah Rhino Challenge

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MW Vaal Guest

Default Berakah Rhino Challenge

We are pleased to announce that the owners of the Berakah Trial near Parys agreed to allow Megaworld Vaal to conditionally re-open the Rhino Challenge.

During the past few months we have been exploring this subject and understood very well the concerns that the owners had regarding, what had previously been referred to as, "one of the three terror trails in SA". Safety is top priority and for this reason strict qualifying criteria will be applied before a team of of our marshalls will accompany interested participants to the Rhino Challenge. We are in the final stages of defining these, but the items most likely included will be:-

1. Mechanically sound vehicles, preferably with at least a 2" lift and diff lockers rear (and possibly front as well).
    2. Level 1 Offroad Driving certification
    Experienced Marshalls will be guiding the driver up and down the Rhino. We are exploring the feasability of arranging standby medical assistance in case of emergency. Recovery and safety equipment will be standard on the day of the event. It goes without saying that the use of liquer will be strictly forbidden prior to ascending or descending the Rhino.

During the past weeks we studied the trail carefully and drove a Landcruiser Pickup (standard suspension, difflocks front and rear, BFG A/T) as well as a heavily modified Jeep Wrangler JK (4" + 2" Lift, Lockers front and rear, BFG MT's) up and down the Rhino. Getting up and down safely left us with a healthy degree of respect for this challenging trail.

The Rhino Challenge is NOT to be underestimated in any way and is most certainly one of the most challenging that we have driven.

We will keep you updated on progress and post pictures of the recent trial runs that were completed. These two vehicles were No's 86 & 87 over the past 10 years and the only two vehicles in more than two years.

The trial has changed due to the weather and we are convinced that any previous successful attempts will not necessarily guarantee success on the current Rhino.

Watch this space for announcements regarding the dates on which the Rhino Challenge will be open to qualifying participants. The first date is likely to be towards the end of March and is likely to be repeated every six or eight weeks.

Photos to follow shortly with a video following within the next few days.

MW Vaal Guest

Herewith pics as promised of the attempts that were successfully made on 23 Jan and 7 Feb.

Thumbs up

Well done on making the effort, and also taking the responsibility, to keep one of South Africa's most famous obstacles alive!

Jis dit lyk woes, man moet sy storie ken. Wel done.
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty MW3
    Synergy 3" lift
    Metal Cloack Gamechanger Arms
    Fox 2.0
    Project4WD Bumpers
    DirtyLife Beadlocks
    37" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3

I WONDER .........will my BARBIE make it

keep us updated.

Great effort.
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Great! Please keep us posted.
    A legend in his own mind

Very, very well done on taking the initiative to help preserve one of the most daunting obstacles in South Africa.

Good luck with your endeavor, and let me know if I can come and try it sometime ...

My attempt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

Quote Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
    my attempt
    and how was it ,did u make it or not
    ARB BULLBAR/LYNX REAR BAR/ARB LOCKERS REAR/COOPER STT/ TJM SUSP/SAFARI SNORKEL/ MELVILLE& MOON SEAT COVERS/240 HELLA SPOTS /ICOM TWO WAY VHF RADIO/SOUND

JEEP JK 2DR 3.8 V6 OME ,ARB REAR AND FRONT BAR ,IPF SPOTS ,T-MAX 8500 WINCH SNORKEL, BUSHWACKERS , ARB COMPRESSOR DUAL BATTERY SYS/MELVILLE& MOON SEAT COVERS/ICOM TWO WAY VHF RADIO/35" 12.5 x R17 BF MUDS MATT BLACK MAGS/FRONT RUNNER ROOFRACK WITH EXTRAS

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    My attempt
    Didn't you attempt it in your Disco I as well?
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Quote Originally Posted by Crips View Post
    Didn't you attempt it in your Disco I as well?
    No, I will never attempt Rhino without dual lockers.
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

Mitsu man, we will limit the number of spectators on the day. However, I will PM you to make arrangements for you to be there if you so wish.
    DesertLeon

Just fascinated by trains, planes and automobiles....

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    No, I will never attempt Rhino without dual lockers.
    So you wont try it in your DII either with the rear locker and CDL?
    I'm sure you will make it

I think hgbosch must go and try the Rhino challenge, he's got front and rear locker and a 300tdi with Thrustmax fitted and he did training in the Swiss army or something.
    I'll PM him this thread...
    Last edited by Crips; 2011/02/25 at 11:02 AM.
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

No, my fuel from my main tank ran back into the spare tank. Hilux cut out and couldnt start. It was fun going down backwards with no powerbrakes or power steering.

Riceburner, I don't even want to begin imagining what it felt like running backwards off the Rhino under those conditions. I experienced a cut out whilst ascending the "Koos se Klim" at Moegatle sometime ago and will NEVER forget that helpless feeling! I was not even far up, when it happened. And of course, the surface at Koos se Klim is 100 times more smooth than the Rhino. I take my hat off to you, that's for sure!
    DesertLeon

I even called my insurance company letting them know I that I might be rolling my hilux. Luckly I got down with a sweaty brow and a bit of a shake.

MW Vaal Guest

Herewith video of the Genesis ascending the Rhino Challenge....

http://www.youtube.com/user/JeepJKGe.../0/DkE3VZoKCR4

That Jeep makes it look easy.
    Was any coffee spilt?
    I've seen a coffee machine in the 'boot'
    A legend in his own mind

No coffee spilt! (But that had more to do with good fortune as opposed to skill!! )

That is one scary challenge, Rob. I would be interested in knowing what people think of the Rhino in its current state versus when they had driven it previously.
    DesertLeon

I only came to SA when the Rhino was already closed,so I've only seen it in its present state. But I did find some pics,gotta find them...
    But one in particular one I remember-it looks a lot 'smoother' than now.

I heard the last guy to to it before it was closed used a standard Def 110,but mangled all the drive train,but he did it.
    A legend in his own mind

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast