Berakah Rhino Challenge - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Co-ords for a spectator ? Do we just pitch up at a gate? Would like to have a squizz Saturday morning.
    As far as I know the challenge starts at 10am,I'm getting there latest 7am -hopefully for brekkies
    Rhino Hill is about 1/2 way through the 'normal' trail,so without taking any short cuts its going to take a few hours to get there, unless they've organised a shorter route

But I want to do the trail anyway.
    All Berakahs info- www.berakah.co.za -includes Co-ords
    After sorting dosh at the office,going to the campsite(very close to office) and then just go with the flow,drive with us if you want?

Otherwise 1...I'm meeting someone at the Spar in Parys at 6.30am,about 15 clicks from Berakah
    Otherwise 2.... Phone Vaal Mega 4x4.

Note that cell reception at Berakah is not the best.
    Think it will be a longish day so take kos and wet stuff-NO BOOZE
    A legend in his own mind

Default Update

What a great day we had yesterday!

Johan and I arrived on the late side Friday evening and set up camp under the stars. A relieved-looking StephenB came around for a chat and told us that he had already arrived at the Berakah 11am!

We got up early as we knew Incrediblebob was going to take us up on the brekkie promise. Shanejk arrived at 06h20 and soon after he started showing off his cooking skills whilst I got the 6.4L coffee machine going.

Incrediblebob arrived around 07h00 with a friend and a full english breakfast (sorry Rob!) was served shortly after.

Shane left the camp site shortly before eight to rendezvouz with the paramedics in Parys. It turns out that they had a delay enroute as they were flagged down at a car accident along the way and had to wait for another ambulance before they could stand down. They arrived shortly after nine and were ready to go.

We met Derik Espag (accompanied by Marinda) at the Berakah office just after eight. He appeared a little nervous but excited and confirmed again that they were very excited to complete the Rhino Challenge. Marinda was a little disappointed when we informed her that passengers would not be allowed. She nevertheless remained his dedicated moral support and had a few of us marshalls in stitches with her comments during the event.

The second participant, Charl Hurter had a few problems with his vehicle enroute but these were quickly sorted upon his arrival.

The whole group took the shortcut to the Rhino Hill at around 09h30 and special signboards were installed along the way for any spectators arriving late to find their way to the venue.

Andre (Berakah) regulated traffic at the Rhino Hill and allowed only the participants' and organizers' vehicles to enter the site of the challenge.

Paramedics were positioned as well as firefighting equipment. Incrediblebob was the Marshall in control of the technical inspection (participant vehicles) and the pre event briefing. He also briefed the crowd as to the areas of danger and rules of their presence.

Derik's vehicles was inspected and declared in order by Incrediblebob, he was given a final briefing, safety belt was checked and the two-way radio headset was fitted. (The purpose of this was for the Chief Marshall (Johan) to be communicating with him without interference. Johan also carried a second radio operating on seperate channel and the Marshalls communicated with him via the second channel. This system was used to ensure that no driver confusion would occur during the event when other Marshalls were communicating with the Chief Marshall.

Rob declared the challenge open and Derik started the swb Jeep Rubicon onto the Rhino Hill. He proceeded to step 1 and after a brief pause took on the first challenge with very impressive control. The Jeep climbed without complications and reached the plantform between step 1 and 2. Chief Marshall Johan worked with Derik to realign the Jeep for step 2. Johan spent some time talking Derik through the line that was to be taken through this very complicated obstacle which started with an 800mm vertical rockface climb. Marshalls repositioned to areas where they could report the movement of the car to the Chief Marshall and Derik was given the go signal. He, again, impressed the Marshalls and Spectators alike with the very controlled way he approached the obstacle. The Jeep engine worked away as the diff locks sent the power to all 4 wheels and the BFG Mud Terrains clawed at the rock face. There were no complications and the Jeep climbed all the way to the top of the Rhino Hill.

A roar of approval was heard from Marshalls and Spectators alike. Derik was congratulated with his achievement at the top of the Hill and the necessary photographic evidence was produced.

The descent was more complicated than the ascend (according to Derik). The vehicle was guided very carefully down the Rhino Hill with StephenB and Andre providing the occasional ballast on the rear bumper to keep the rear wheels on the surface.

A great round of applause was given to Derik when he arrived back at the start area. He was formally congratulated and handed his embroided #088 Rhino Challenge badge as well as a special sticker for his car. He also shared his experience with the crowd and with Charl who was to take on the Rhino Hill shortly thereafter.

I will complete this post tomorrow with a description of Charl's attempt and will also post the pictures. A video posting will follow once editing has been completed.

To be continued....
    DesertLeon

Just fascinated by trains, planes and automobiles....

Me and Christelle just want to thank Leon and his team for a wonderful event, organized professionally. Even though this is a dangerous challenge, not any of the participants or spectators felt scared or rattled at any point. Everything was planned to the T, and this put the drivers at ease with the challenge.

I also want to congratulate the two daredevils making it up the hill as I assure anyone who has not seen this that it takes (see pic below). I wouldn’t do it If somebody paid me to do it.

Leon, I just hope you can use the video footage......or else we just get the guys to do it again.

ALSO, I wish to apologize for anything derogatory remarks that I have made about Jeeps in the past………..It will NEVER happen again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    EX: Mitsu Man

Gerhard de Lange

2014 Isuzu KB 250 DC 4x4
    2013 Isuzu KB 300 Club
    2003 Defender TD5 with everything.(My 4x4)
    2005 Hyundai Getz
    1962 Land Rover Series 11A 109 Inch (My project)
    1962 Land Rover Series 11A 89 Inch (My other project)

Gerhard, we had great fun with you and Christelle. Thanks aplenty for being the roaming camera man on the day! I have not had a chance to watch the footage yet, but am convinced that it will be great. Imagine telling those guys to do it again!

I definitely like your comment about Jeeps!!
    DesertLeon

Post continued....

Charl Hurter was next with his heavily modified Toyota D/C. Mods included V8 engine, upgraded suspension, wheels etc.

On first glance we all assumed that the Toyota in the configuration stated above would have no complications with the Rhino Hill. It turned out, however, that it was a more complicated challenge as given the vehicles extreme height as well as the very sensitive throttle.

Charl negotiated the first step successfully on the second attempt. This being a LWB, it took more effort to realign on the platform between Step 1 and 2. The Marshalls developed concern regarding the tire pressure as these appeared to be over infllated given the rocky terrain. Tire pressures were adjusted and Charl proceeded intp Step 2. The very sensitive throttle response complicated matters quite a bit and both the front wheels came off the surface on two occasions as a result.

However, with good concentration Charl had the vehicle climb through the second step. Again, a good round of applause followed from the Spectators. Charl was congratulated and as with the Derik, the necessary photographic evidence was produced.

The ascent was equally complicated, this time not due to the sensitve throttle but as a result of the extreme height of the vehicle. Even with the extreme flex on the suspension the right rear wheel lifted off the surface on more than one occasion. Johan (Chief Marshall) took extreme caution in directing Charl through the unique complications associated with each of the steps as well as the platform section. Again, some "balast" was addded to the back of the vehicle on occasion.

Charl reached the bottom of the Rhino Hill whilst the Spectators cheered and the Marshalls sighed a joint sigh of relief. Johnny Hurter was at hand to congratulate his son on the achievement.

Photos of the action to follow...
    DesertLeon

Yes Johan & Leon , Thanks for a Great Day. Well organised.
    Stephen
    Disco 3 TDV6 SE

We got there as the Jeep descended but we could at least watch the Toyota go up and down and I must also say very well done to the marshals with their great control and assistance to the drivers. We have been to a few competitions where there was no control and a lot of alcohol involved and it was nice to see the total opposite at the Rhino.

I'm impressed.

PS. Good to see you again Stephen we must get together again.

Franz

It obviously didn't happen - no pictures!

aaahhh, so there is actually something going on in the Freestate...

Folks
    Have a look at this thread from 2008 when Shane from JKA went up. A couple of nice pics.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=18297

The obstacle seems to have changed just a tad over the last 3 years...

i still cant see any pictures of this event that took place in March

Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual & Auto
    2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by JohanVisser View Post
    i still cant see any pictures of this event that took place in March
    There was another thread started with some pics and report but never finished. I will look for it.

By-the-way. Berakah (not Parys) is in Gauteng as far as I know.

Franz

Berakah,is 13km from Parys-in the Freestate.

I've got pics of the last Rhino challenge-at home(I'm away),but I would of thought the guys who did the challenge,or organised it would of posted

I always drive with my camera,I always remind fellow drivers to take their camera,but it seems their attitude has been 'Why,you've got yours?' and then expect me to either Email the pics,but I pay for my connection,I don't use a works connection,or I am asked to post a disc,or drop it off.

Enough.
    A legend in his own mind

Barahka is in the free state, about 23 Km from the Gauteng border

Ryno Black
    Amarok V6

All wrong.

From Parys (in the Free-State), you go back over the Vaal River, which puts you in North West.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Default pictures

some of the pics if got
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	102925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	102926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	102927  
    ARB BULLBAR/LYNX REAR BAR/ARB LOCKERS REAR/COOPER STT/ TJM SUSP/SAFARI SNORKEL/ MELVILLE& MOON SEAT COVERS/240 HELLA SPOTS /ICOM TWO WAY VHF RADIO/SOUND

JEEP JK 2DR 3.8 V6 OME ,ARB REAR AND FRONT BAR ,IPF SPOTS ,T-MAX 8500 WINCH SNORKEL, BUSHWACKERS , ARB COMPRESSOR DUAL BATTERY SYS/MELVILLE& MOON SEAT COVERS/ICOM TWO WAY VHF RADIO/35" 12.5 x R17 BF MUDS MATT BLACK MAGS/FRONT RUNNER ROOFRACK WITH EXTRAS

Default more pics

more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	102929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	102930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize3.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	102931  
    ARB BULLBAR/LYNX REAR BAR/ARB LOCKERS REAR/COOPER STT/ TJM SUSP/SAFARI SNORKEL/ MELVILLE& MOON SEAT COVERS/240 HELLA SPOTS /ICOM TWO WAY VHF RADIO/SOUND

JEEP JK 2DR 3.8 V6 OME ,ARB REAR AND FRONT BAR ,IPF SPOTS ,T-MAX 8500 WINCH SNORKEL, BUSHWACKERS , ARB COMPRESSOR DUAL BATTERY SYS/MELVILLE& MOON SEAT COVERS/ICOM TWO WAY VHF RADIO/35" 12.5 x R17 BF MUDS MATT BLACK MAGS/FRONT RUNNER ROOFRACK WITH EXTRAS

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    Berakah,is 13km from Parys-in the Freestate.

I've got pics of the last Rhino challenge-at home(I'm away),but I would of thought the guys who did the challenge,or organised it would of posted

I always drive with my camera,I always remind fellow drivers to take their camera,but it seems their attitude has been 'Why,you've got yours?' and then expect me to either Email the pics,but I pay for my connection,I don't use a works connection,or I am asked to post a disc,or drop it off.

Enough.
    i totally hear you. Swambo always takes photos of all the events we do and if i dont keep her in check she will go trigger happy and take 900+ photos = 5.7GB (like the last GP GTG at DeWildt) and like you i pay for my connection.

i have been to a couple of 4x4 days and every time there is allot of people with cameras but i never ever hardly see any of that picture.
    and for me, i upload every photo on my own cost (after is re sized to save a few pennies) sommer to FB and give people the link to it. have considered it now couple of times to stop sharing and keep it for personal use only.
    Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual & Auto
    2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Default funny ha ha !!!!!!

what a funny spot for a traffic camera ha ha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Leon

When are you arranging the next group to the Rhino?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast