Where to mount my Hi Lift Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to mount my Hi Lift Jack

Hi all , I need your input. I want to mount my jack in the Bak of my hilux , above the wheel arch , any suggestion on how to do this ?
    The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects<o>.</o>
    Toyota 3.0 Double D 4x4 2010 AT
    Rubber drivers floor mat
    Scratch on right rear
    Cooper ST Maxx
    Orange spade on front nudge bar
    ARB 6" spot covers ( broken and fixed many times )
    Detachable tow bar
    Hot blonde co pilot

Sorry I can't help Oxman. You see us Land Rover okes don't know how to mount a high lift jack as we don't have any use for them.

You will have to wait for the Toy drivers to respond.
    Range Rover 4.4 V8
    Audi SQ5 Tdi
    Defender 90 2.8i
    Audi A3T

Quote Originally Posted by Beesblaas View Post
    Sorry I can't help Oxman. You see us Land Rover okes don't know how to mount a high lift jack as we don't have any use for them.

Funny that , I thought all Land Rovers come with high lift jacks as I always see the bright red device on either the bull bar or the roof rack, I must be mistaken , sorry.
    The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance this email's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects<o>.</o>
    Rubber drivers floor mat
    Scratch on right rear
    Cooper ST Maxx
    Detachable tow bar
    Hot blonde co pilot

Well i dont have a Hilux, but this works for me. Excuse the mess
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

ARO's suggestion works well. Keep it dust free.
    If you have a swing out spare wheel carries mount it on that.
    Front runner sell universal bracket for this.

Disco 2 TD5 XS
    Disco 2 V8 XS
    A platkar
    A bicycle

thanks guys but I very seldom have my canopy on so want to mount it some where in the bottom half , but it cant get in the way of my spitbraai or off road bike.
    Rubber drivers floor mat
    Scratch on right rear
    Cooper ST Maxx
    Detachable tow bar
    Hot blonde co pilot

Default Re: Where to mount my Hi Lift Jack

Iím jumping on this thread because I have a question on the same topic...

Is anyone aware of a high-lift jack mount that clamps onto a towball and either sits the HLJ vertically or horizontally?
    Does such a thing even exist?

Thanks!

Just an observation after seeing many hi lift jacks in various positions. You need to keep dust away from it. So, mounting it anywhere but inside like ARO's idea or on the front bumper will get it covered in dust. I have a hi lift jack and haven't ever used it in 20 years of 4x4 overlanding, including Botswana and Namibia. Whoever gets it after me will get a brand new jack. But I'd rather have one and not need it than not have one and need it.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Just an observation after seeing many hi lift jacks in various positions. You need to keep dust away from it. So, mounting it anywhere but inside like ARO's idea or on the front bumper will get it covered in dust. I have a hi lift jack and haven't ever used it in 20 years of 4x4 overlanding, including Botswana and Namibia. Whoever gets it after me will get a brand new jack. But I'd rather have one and not need it than not have one and need it.
    My jack has lived exposed to dust and rain since I've had it. The canvas bags that cover the baseplate and moving mechanism is just for show by the way, as it still lets dust in. Had one on and helped nothing so it got chucked.

Easy solution is to carry a tin of Q20 always, a quick spray of the return springs and moving parts works like a bomb.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2018/10/27 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

As I had to go and put the car to bed, I took a pic of where it is mounted.
    On the roofrack on the SUV.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can mount it wherever convenient. My old single cab Isuzu had the Jack behind the seat. Having it on the front bumper makes it a missile in an accident. Anywhere on the outside makes it prone to affirmative shopping. If you need it, nothing else works. It is a cumbersome lump of metal to cart around, but worth the while when needed.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Front bumper, low down or beneath the back bumper, if you have no canopy. Below the back bumper is out of sight and out of mind. Low down it is as safe as most places in the projectile department (bolt on with rated bolts)...

Quote Originally Posted by Beesblaas View Post

Can also be an pointer to the level of 4x4 activities
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Mine is on the roof rack of my Disco 4 XS. Gets no dust and I never use the cars jack. Hi lift plus a jack buddy and an axle stand to change wheels. Gone are the days of lying on my stomach trying to position the jack then at the first turn of the handle the damn thing falls over.

I have one of those fold flat axle stands.
    Last edited by pwgg; 2018/10/28 at 08:04 AM.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Mine is on the roof rack of my Disco 4 XS. Gets no dust and I never use the cars jack. Hi lift plus a jack buddy and an axle stand to change wheels. Gone are the days of lying on my stomach trying to position the jack then at the first turn of the handle the damn thing falls over.

I have one of those fold flat axle stands.
    Post a photo of your tressel sounds intresting

Anyone with a picture of a horizontal rear mount? My HLJ has been lying in the garage since almost new, I did vertically rear mount it on my series Landy, but would like ideas how to preferably mount it to my Prado tow bar, judging by the 120's hinge/door skin failures the rear door I think is challenged enough which the weight of the spare.

Really not too keen to high level mount it to roof rails.

The easiest way to carry a hi-lift jack is to split it.

Yes split it.

• The "I" beam is the longest, does not weigh that much, does not matter if it gets covered in dust. So fit the I beam onto the roof rack or bulbar or bumper - "whatever" its convenient, its fairly light. Is not an item worth stealing. Padlocks fit nicely. rain, dust or theft don't worry.

• The main mechanism is heavy, greasy, needs keeping out the dust, awkward shape and is on the high on the to be stolen list. Fit this part behind your seat, even under your seat, or in the canopy or some where convenient. The handle comes off making it easier to store. this can be stored with your straps, prevents it rattling. (keep in a plastic bag to prevent grease/oil getting onto the straps)

It takes a few seconds to take apart or put together (and maybe a spanner to remove the top part).

I have carried my hi-lift jack like that for over 40 years. It's the easiest and most convenient way. and no chance of it getting stolen.
    Last edited by K-9; 2018/11/05 at 12:04 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

I am not in favour of displaying my belongings on the outside of my car, and prefer to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. With the stainless table sliding in under the roofrack I have no choice.
    With the Land Rover the HighLift was strapped to the rear seat posts on the floor with two bicycle toe clip straps, just ahead of the rear passengers ankles. It worked very well without any modifications required.
    I have adopted the same method with all my subsequent vehicles since it is easily accessible with a four door vehicle.
    With the Fortuner it also works well, providing you remember to pack the Buddy as well to overcome the tupperware bumpers.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    I am not in favour of displaying my belongings on the outside of my car, and prefer to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. With the stainless table sliding in under the roofrack I have no choice.
    With the Land Rover the HighLift was strapped to the rear seat posts on the floor with two bicycle toe clip straps, just ahead of the rear passengers ankles. It worked very well without any modifications required.
    I have adopted the same method with all my subsequent vehicles since it is easily accessible with a four door vehicle.
    With the Fortuner it also works well, providing you remember to pack the Buddy as well to overcome the tupperware bumpers.
    Handy tip if no one uses the back seat of the car and if one is concerned that a 20kg addition to the car's roof will cause it to topple over. I have children so the jack lives on the roofrack, with a spade on the other side.

As K-9 says split it.

My mechanism lives under the front seat and looks like the day I bought it. I have seen too many non-functioning and dangerous mechanisms that lived outside for too long.

The rail is in bad condition. The problem with a roof rack mount is that as it rusts it drips brown stains down the paint work. I am looking to relocate the rail to the rear tyre carrier as a result.

I would also not have it mounted on the front bumper as it makes a mess of pedestrians.
    Last edited by Biggles; 2018/11/21 at 03:39 PM.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast