Dual Battery System or Generator

Default Dual Battery System or Generator

I would like to get your feel on the above mentioned topic. I was thinking of installing a Dual Battery system in my Toyota but then came the idea of rather use this money add a few bucks and buy a Generator. You can use the Gennie at home if Escom drops out you can resell the gennie oneday and you can drive a lot of domestic things in the field.

Did somebody do something similar to this

Opinions please
    Thanks Frik

The Rookie

Frik, the generator idea for home is fine, however some camping spots does not allow you to run a generator, and your camping neighbours mood might change if you run the generator. Especially if they are camping to enjoy the sounds of nature.

Solar power is another option.

Regards,
    Tinus

I use the deep cycle battery for everything, start the car and run equipment when stationary. Every 2nd day I manually switch to the original car battery for a short time during travel, to charge it. One can get by when the meat is vrot, but if the starter doesn't turn and you are on your own - big #####. So the car battery is always charged for backup.

Generator, I don't think so, not in the bush. We travel to get away from everything not to move the concrete into the bush. If you want to use it as backup to start your car, no problem.

You mostly require power at night for lights, fridge, etc. and then solar power is useless. You can recharge batteries during the day, but then you can use the cars alternator. I think dual batteries is the best option.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

Quote Originally Posted by Frik View Post
    I would like to get your feel on the above mentioned topic. I was thinking of installing a Dual Battery system in my Toyota but then came the idea of rather use this money add a few bucks and buy a Generator. You can use the Gennie at home if Escom drops out you can resell the gennie oneday and you can drive a lot of domestic things in the field.
    Frik

I refer you to a heated debate in the March and April 2006 editions of Sa4x4 where there was a "discussion" regarding the use of generators for camping (including a letter by yours truly). Essentually it's a complete no-no to anyone who considers themselves environmentally friendly campers (and by environment I am referring to the sanity of your fellow campers). No matter how quiet your gennie is claimed to be (to borrow my own quote)

... like yapping dogs, yowling cats and screaming kids, generators are only quiet to those that own them
    12V is the only option!!!
    Last edited by SimonB; 2007/01/30 at 04:12 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Default Reply

Well thanks for the great response I never thought about the noise factor . Must admit I wouldnt like somebody elses generator noises in my ears especially out in the bush. I think for me the obvious answer is a deep cycle battery then.

Thanks guys

The reason why I enjoy this forum

Frik,

Lights at night is very important even if you use gas lamps you still need battery lights inside your tent or close at the kitchen. Also you can use battery power for other uses/devices than lights and fridges. My advice as follows: firstly a dual battery (at night you can turn the fridge to a higher temp it save a lot of battery power and turn it up when you go driving the next day).

If you intent going to places where you will be totally on your own like Mabuasehube and you know you will not drive enough each day to maintain the battery then you can consider a genni. We have a genni for these trips combined with a potent charger (30 A/hr). With this charger you do not need the genni to run very long before switching it off and enjoy the bush noises.

Hi Frik

A gennie for me is also a big NO NO in the bush, do yourself a favor and buy a solar panel to charge your dual battery. I have built a deep cycle battery into an ammo box with the charge controller for the solar as well as a normal charger all neatly inside. My solar panel is an 80W and is more than adequate. I also use my external battery with an inverter for small appliances if ESCOM fails – again fit the solar panel and the battery stay charged (during the day that is!).
    [SIGPIC]
    Nelspruit (Mbombela)
    2015 Pajero Sport - Shogun
    2009 Triton 2.5 DiD 4x4 - (EGR blanked off and DPF ("CAT") removed - )
    Echo 1 Trailer & Howling Moon Trailer Tent
    VHF - 4x4Com - 1047 / 29 Mhz - ZRB 4759

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Grobler View Post
    If you intent going to places where you will be totally on your own like Mabuasehube and you know you will not drive enough each day to maintain the battery then you can consider a genni
    Willem, while your argument regarding the length of driving might be valid, most people get round this with either more batteries or going solar, as Hannes has mentioned.

The other point you make regarding being totally on your own is a problem as this cannot be guaranteed, and the last thing somebody else wants when they believed THEY would be totally on their own, is hearing someone else's genni.

Personally, generators for camping are out, full stop!
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I totally agree on generators being out for camping/overlanding! I'd rather get myself a decent dual or triple battery setup, and also look into the solar charging aspect, as we live in sunny Africa after all!

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points