Lift options for Jeep Cherokee XJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lift options for Jeep Cherokee XJ

I have a Jeep Cherokee XJ 99 model and it's time for a lift (amongst other things!).
    I currently have 31" Dick Cepek's on and they are causing a bit of a rub, plus I had a major incident with a dune about a year back that's caused the suspension to be a bit wonky.

I'm now looking at replacing the suspension, but want to lift the Jeep about 2-3". I've had a look at OME's and Iron Man's as well as the Skyjacker kits, but I'm not really that clued up with how it works. It seems you get the lift kit and shocks separately? How does that work?

Also, what is the cost of a lift? A while back I had it in the region of about R10,000 - R13,000. I'm not sure if that's still valid? And what are the options of importing a kit?

I'm taking my Jeep to American SUV for a service today, reckon they would be able to do the lift at the same time?

Hi Unodewaal,

There are various systems available so do a bit of shopping around.

Generally speaking, the 2" lifts from the US are spacers with shocks. Once you go 3" and up you start getting new front coils, add a leaf or full leaf packs with all the other goodies required.

I have three options available for the XJ:

1) 2" Coil kit with add a leaf in the rear with Nitro Shocks

2) 4.5" Kit with new extended coils, add a leaf, Nitro shocks, new lower front control arms, etc

3) 4.5" Dragon Edition Kit with new front coils, full leaf pack in the rear, Nitro shocks, Front lower control arms, etc

Both the 4.5" kits rotate your rear axle to correct your drive line angles combined with a small transfer case drop to prevent vibration.

Here are the links to the specs and prices

Regards
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew, do the prices include fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by unodewaal View Post
    Thanks Andrew, do the prices include fitting?
    My Pleasure. The price does not include installation but all the kits come with detailed instructions for a easy self install.

Hi Unodewaal

I had OME on my last XJ. Its ok but nothing special. The main issue is that they only do a 2-inch lift which won't work with your 31's. You will need at least a 3-inch.

As far as I know, Ironman don't make lifts for XJ's.

The Zone lifts are your best bet

The problem with the Add a leaf kits sometimes is that if your existing leaf springs are already somewhat worn out then you don't always end up with much lift.
    That can always be resolved by adding a set of extended shackles at the rear (incl in the 4.5" lift kit).

Those prices from Zone look pretty good though.
    Andrew does Zone offer any products to align the fron axle? Pitty there are no real options for adjustable track bars for RHD XJ's.

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Hi Gareth.....I saw your rig the other day in Brackenfell - man, it looks menacing with all the mods you've done . I slowed & waved but then saw that SWAMBO was driving so she probably thought I was nuts .

I was in my Mini platkar & was worried that she'd just ride over the top of me

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Hi Gareth.....I saw your rig the other day in Brackenfell - man, it looks menacing with all the mods you've done . I slowed & waved but then saw that SWAMBO was driving so she probably thought I was nuts .
    I was in my Mini platkar & was worried that she'd just ride over the top of me
    Still waiting to fit the Fender flares, planning on doing it this time home. SWAMBO was driving it because her KJ left her stranded on Durban road
    At least we have the good old XJ so she can still get round in a Jeep

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Red-J View Post
    The problem with the Add a leaf kits sometimes is that if your existing leaf springs are already somewhat worn out then you don't always end up with much lift.
    That can always be resolved by adding a set of extended shackles at the rear (incl in the 4.5" lift kit).
    Those prices from Zone look pretty good though.
    Andrew does Zone offer any products to align the fron axle? Pitty there are no real options for adjustable track bars for RHD XJ's.
    Hi Gareth,

At this stage we are still only relocating the track bar. I am trying to source RHD drive adjustable track bars from Aus but they come it quite expensive.

Cheers
    Andrew

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys. It looks like my decision (atleast from online exploration) is the Zone kit and the Rough Country kit. I've decided to go for the 4.5 inch lift, that way next tyres can be 32"
    Does anyone have any of these two, and what are the differences? From sa4x4store the rough country kits are almost R3k cheaper than the Zone kits. Why would this be? I thinj the long arm kit is about the same price - what is that?

I'm also waiting on a reply from American SUV on a kit as well. What do they normally supply?

I've decided to go for the 4.5 inch lift, that way next tyres can be 32"
    32's would worry me with the standard ratios, so you might want to factor a ratio change into your plans

From sa4x4store the rough country kits are almost R3k cheaper than the Zone kits. Why would this be? I thinj the long arm kit is about the same price - what is that?
    Errrm......are SA4x4 still going?

the site is still up - so I assume they are still running? Haven't given them a call yet though.

I'll definitely do a ratio change if I get bigger tyres. Is it worth doing it with 31"s?

the site is still up - so I assume they are still running? Haven't given them a call yet though.
    I'll definitely do a ratio change if I get bigger tyres. Is it worth doing it with 31"s?
    31's are still fine with the std ratios. There are lots of guys running with this.

Did you try calling that store?

No haven't called them yet.

The guys at American SUV sell the Skyjacker kits. Are they any good?

I don't know, but Skyjacker seems very popular on Jeeps in the States. How much is a kit?

Edit: Red-J (Gareth) has got them. See what he says
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2011/02/07 at 07:44 PM.

Not sure yet - they still need to find out a price and quote. thanks will ask Gareth.

No haven't called them yet.
    The guys at American SUV sell the Skyjacker kits. Are they any good?
    Skyjacker is a good kit. We have successfully fitted quite a few 5" and 7" kits to appliances.

Which kit are you looking at? They have various kits available ranging from blocks, to AAL's to full packs.

I just did a bit of Googeling, & it seems that a 3 inch Skyjacker may cost you considerably more than the price of, say a 4.5 inch Zone. The later is a good lift

I'm not sure - it seems my only option is 3" and 6". I'll be heading in on Wednesday and then run through the pricing and availability.

What is the lead time on your ZONE lift kits at the moment?

I'm not sure - it seems my only option is 3" and 6". I'll be heading in on Wednesday and then run through the pricing and availability.
    What is the lead time on your ZONE lift kits at the moment?
    Both the XJ 4.5" kits are in stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast