Echo 3 Trailer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Echo 3 Trailer

Default Echo 3 Trailer

This is more directed at Amadisco. I am interested in buying an equipped offroad trailer and would like to ask which one you would buy if you have to replace your Echo and why?
    I am seriously confused by all the extras you have to get, and by "designing" a equipped offroad trailer they all almost cost the same amount.
    I am gathering info on the Conquerer range, the Echo range, the Bundu trailer, Mission, Brahkah and Desert wolf. Is there any other major players in this field I must consider?

Thanks,
    Tinus

Difficult question.

If I had to replace I will most prob buy the same, never had a reason for anything else.

In the end most trailers are similar (don't read SAME). Every single trailer will have something you like, and don't. With the Echo there is very little I don't like. It tows nicely, is COMPLETELY dustproof. Lots of packing space. No wood or stuff that can break.

I have the Echo3 with the drawers in the loadbox, so far very happy.

Shout if you need to know more!

Dirk

Mate of mine bought the Echo 3 about 2 years ago. He then fitted some Echo 4 extras that he needed and had brackets, etc. made up to suit his kit. Came out much cheaper. He really loads this thing, if I say generator, electric heater, you will understand my point. Averaged 160km/h between Upington and Andriesvale with it sticking like glue behind him. Only used 70 liters for the 200km covered with the V8 Grand Cherokee.

Well designed, rugged and comfortable.

I don't think I will ever go this route, but if I have to get one it will be the Echo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hoffie; 2007/01/22 at 12:44 PM.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

Quote Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
    I am interested in buying an equipped offroad trailer and would like to ask which one you would buy.....
    Hi Tinus,

I'm in the same boat (Looking for a suitable off-road trailer)

I made the choice not to buy one just yet, but to rent several variants until I know exactly what it is that I want & what will suit my needs.

To date, I've rented from Big Five 4x4 (Kempton Park) & am about to rent a off-road caravan from Ngonyama Rentals. (For the easter weekend)

I've found out one or 2 things in my quest:
    • Make sure that the trailer can be accessed from the side (With your rooftop tent up, access is difficult)
    • A rooftop tent is a must (5 minutes from arriving to open - A must if you have kids)
    • I went weekend camping a couple of times before planning the overland trip. (Helps to know what the drill is when you finally get there)
    The great thing about renting is that the trailers / caravans come kitted out for 6 / 4 people (Right down to cutlery - Great if you are just getting into the off-road scene)

Hope this helps.

Richard
    V6 Pathfinder (AirMax, KC Daylighters, Bash plate, D694's, EFS 2" Lift)
    Conqueror Conquest (90L National Luna Twin + Stuff)

You really cannot go wrong with an Echo.....

Default Bundu Trailer

I had a look at the Bundu Trailer's Website and I like the layout of the kitchen. Most of the time it wil be the wife and I and I must be able to setup camp with the minimum of fuss. I prefer the tent to be ripstop canvas and I would like an awning with 2 sides for the kitchen area. As you say, it has to have side openings and the rooftop tent must have a "dressing room" area with a waterproof groundsheet. I doubt if I ever would do extreme offroading with it, but if the need is there, I would like to be able to stop over at a site without electricy for a day or two.
    But, I need to stay within a certain budget, some of these trailers would set you back in excess of R100k, which is way more that I can afford or willing to pay.
    The trailer must not weight too much, as I need to be able to push it into the carport by hand (space limitations - it needs to share with 2 cars and another trailer).
    Maybe I should start a list of must haves and another on the "no-no's".

Tinus

Default Echo 3 Trailer

Surely nothing wrong with the Echo’s, they will be my second choice, but look carefully at the conqueror’s (Conquest and Compact’s) before you decide.

With maximum access from all sides they are/ can be made into true camping units with available packing systems, out of which you can fully live (no need to unpack/ repack each time) – thus a quick mover. And do you calculations, it has the best packing space to weight ratio. Also:

Bolt and glue concept of chassis and load box to allow for structural flexibility – no cracking of joints due to off-road stress. Easy to replace damaged panels.
    The trailer tent concept is very good and very quick to set up - the best IMHO. Conquest has massive bed of 2,1x2,1. With small kids and need for early departure next morning or safety reasons, they can join here without need to make additional beds in trailer tent floor area. (Compact bed 2,1x1,52). Sleeping arrangement is across trailer, no need for one to climb over partner to exit.
    Comes with separate large canopy which you put over total trailer tent – you can move around the trailer in full shade/ and or out of rain. In rain, you can even collapse the tent under this canopy resulting in a dry trailer tent. Best is, everything is separate and you have to full choice if you want to put up this full canopy, or maybe just the awning over kitchen, or only tent for quick sleep over/ getaway in morning.
    Braked axle is standard. IMHO I will not opt for a trailer without brakes. I can personally vouch, they are life savers.
    The back door lifts up and out of the way of tent openings.
    Electrics situated in nose cone are more accessible.
    Double very longitude under-chassis water tanks – less sloshing and thus stable and if one raptures, you still have one left.
    Nice under chassis storage bin for tent poles (canopy).
    Huge working surfaces on both sides (drop down side doors).
    Kitchen maybe does not look as nicely laid-out as many others, but is IMHO more practical and compact as it does not take up a lot of space due to nice display of everything on offer.
    Unquestionable quality.

After a good shot of common sense in making up your mind, the rest boils down to personal preference. Prices are not cheap. But a trailer like this is a life investment – unlike most vehicles which many people happily kid to the teeth. There are the option of much cheaper beefed up luggage trailers (load box type) – and there is nothing wrong with them if this is your need. But despite price difference, they do not serve in the purpose of a true camping unit, so you cannot compare.
    Last edited by Thilo; 2007/01/22 at 02:53 PM.

I hope to be able to attend the Beeld Holiday Expo next month. It looks if they will have a presence there as well.
    Regards,
    Tinus

Hi Tinus,

Also look at Bushwakka. I have a Bushwakka and we are very happy with it. I attached a few pics.

When we (involve the wife to avoid pain ), we looked at looked at Desert Wolf (lynx), Echo IV, Conqueror (Compact) and the Bushwakka Safari Cargo. All good trailers. It boiled down to the kitchen, the tent and the cost.

Johan / Wahoo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	2313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	2012 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	2314  

Quote Originally Posted by amaDisco View Post
    You really cannot go wrong with an Echo.....
    I agree - these trailers have built a good name for reliability etc. No problem with Echo!

Regards
    RANGER 1

aka Staal

It's a Ford thing - please try to understand!!

Ford Mondeo ST 220
    Ford Ranger 2.5 DC 4x4 ( Camil suspension / Navstar / Garmin 5 / Dual battery system / MT / AT etc.
    Venter Bushbaby with some goodies!

www.bospelle.co.za

Thumbs up Choices.....

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Hi Tinus,

Also look at Bushwakka. I have a Bushwakka and we are very happy with it. I attached a few pics.

When we (involve the wife to avoid pain ), we looked at looked at Desert Wolf (lynx), Echo IV, Conqueror (Compact) and the Bushwakka Safari Cargo. All good trailers. It boiled down to the kitchen, the tent and the cost.

Johan / Wahoo
    I would support this comment. My advise to anyone would be to really involve your wife. The kitchen unit is normally critical. Some people prefer real detail and lots of features etc where other might go for simplicity.

I bought the good old Venter Bush Baby almost three years ago and can confirm that my wife started to think differently about camping after the camping outing with the trailer. Last year I went the extra mile and fitted an Echo trailer tent with optional side walls etc. and can only reconmmend this combination.

Also keep in mind that the Bush Baby is durable and solid - a number of 4x4 trails can suppport this statement. These are not inferior products!!

Front Runner is able to fit a great roller system at around R 4000 - what an investment. My trailer is also fitted with a water tank, charging system for the dual battery, obviously the actual tent, spade, fire extinguisher, spare wheel, protective panels to avoid chipping etc. and I can assure you that even today if I had to buy again, this will be my choice. It really does make financial sense. The total investment was around R35000 if I had to replace today. Keep in mind that the trailer has shocks as standard, 15 inch wheels, fridge slide, jerry can holders, a gas bottle holder was fitted as an extra etc.

It might still be seen as a conservative trailer, but it surely does the work!

Negative points would include the fact that you cannot really easily lift the lid to peek inside - but careful planning will ensure that that is not required. This is where Echo and others have a winner in terms of convenience!

Back to my original point - kitchen layout is a major factor - we enjoy having everything handy - no problem with this product!

Tent is awesome!

Great from a budget perspective!

Solid backup all over RSA and even into Africa!

Have another look at Venter if you need to spend wisely!

This of course does not mean that Conqueror and Echo is bad at all - they have wonderful products!

Regards
    RANGER 1

aka Staal

Ford Mondeo ST 220
    Ford Ranger 2.5 DC 4x4 ( Camil suspension / Navstar / Garmin 5 / Dual battery system / MT / AT etc.

www.bospelle.co.za

We bought a Echo 2 in 2000 and it has done an estimated 65 000 km. This includes about all of Botswana, Kaokoland, 2 x Liuwa Plains, Moz x plenty and a lot of places in SA (Richtersveld, Namakwa 4x4, Kgalagadi x many and a lot of Kruger).

We didn't had one problem up to now. After all these years it is still genuine dust proof, after doing trips with many other trailers/off-road caravans the wifes still use the Echo's kitchen when preparing food, it is a pleasure to tow and the trailer tent is still as good as new.

Few things to bear in mind when

Thumbs up

I do not believe that their are really too many bad trailers out their. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages. It all comes down to personal choice.

The layout should suite your individual needs. I had a look at most of the trailers above and the two deciding factors for me was:

No 1 the fact that the Bundu caters for my length ( I am 2M tall) I can stand up straight and without bending down to work on the kitchen surface and I do not have to bend down to walk in under the awning. No 2 was the price.

I also really liked the Conqueror because of the features as mentioned above but the layout was not really to my liking e.g. the kitchen unit and kitchen surface was not suited to my requirement and I bumped my head on the side of the bed when I viewed the inside of the tent (the size of the bed is nice though). I also seriously looked at the Echo which has a layout closer to what I decided upon (accept for the awning height) but the sales guy's attitude at their shop and at the one show I viewed it at, [email protected] me off a bit.

Go and check out all these trailers at a show where all of them is parked next to each other and then make an informed decision.

Another good way to determine if any trailer is suitable for your own family is to try and beg borrow steal or hire one for a weekend, spend a weekend in one, then you can make an informed decision.

Another good way to determine if any trailer is suitable for your own family is to try and beg borrow steal or hire one for a weekend, spend a weekend in one, then you can make an informed decision.

Dirk, this is the only way I buy a vehicle nowadays. Want it for 3 days then you know, or go rent one. There is a few guys renting out and I think you can rent directly from echo. If you consider the amount of time you use a trailer and cost involved and new models on the way it is still worth renting.
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by benhur View Post
    I do not believe that their are really too many bad trailers out their. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages. It all comes down to personal choice.

The layout should suite your individual needs. I had a look at most of the trailers above and the two deciding factors for me was:

No 1 the fact that the Bundu caters for my length ( I am 2M tall) I can stand up straight and without bending down to work on the kitchen surface and I do not have to bend down to walk in under the awning. No 2 was the price.

I also really liked the Conqueror because of the features as mentioned above but the layout was not really to my liking e.g. the kitchen unit and kitchen surface was not suited to my requirement and I bumped my head on the side of the bed when I viewed the inside of the tent (the size of the bed is nice though). I also seriously looked at the Echo which has a layout closer to what I decided upon (accept for the awning height) but the sales guy's attitude at their shop and at the one show I viewed it at, [email protected] me off a bit.

Go and check out all these trailers at a show where all of them is parked next to each other and then make an informed decision.
    Bennie

Jammer om te hoor dat jy 'n nare ervaring by Echo gehad het. Praat gerus met Jacques Gouws - hy is die hoof en werklik behulpsaam. Jy kan gerus noem dat jy sy details by Niel Kritzinger gekry het. Ons ken mekaar al goed en sy diens was nog altyd baie goed. Die ouens is ook lekker tegnies en ons klub hetervaar dat hulle weet waarvan hulle praat.

Hoop jy kom reg!
    RANGER 1

aka Staal

Ford Mondeo ST 220

www.bospelle.co.za

I am happy with my EchoIII.
    We bought it empty and I kitted it myself - underbelly water tank, wolfpacks on slides, kitchen, howling moon trailer tent etc.

I would really advise you to rent or borrow one to go camp with before you buy. If that is not possible, buy an empty trailer and go camp with it - then design the layout as you prefer (and involve SWAMBO in the design, it leads to lots of happines all round).

Kobus

Is this a firm offer?

Thanks, I accept..

Regards,
    Tinus

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 1 View Post
    I would support this comment. My advise to anyone would be to really involve your wife. The kitchen unit is normally critical. Some people prefer real detail and lots of features etc where other might go for simplicity.

I am busy buying a Bushbaby and are keen to see idees on the kitchen layout. The idee I'm playing with is to mount my kitchen unit on the slide in the front door. Will be fitting a drawer system in the rear.

I have order my Bushbabay with a Christies tent and the wait is killing me.
    Johann Bredell

Quote Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
    Is this a firm offer?

Thanks, I accept..

Regards,
    Tinus
    Yes, there will be a deposit and daily rental......must I send bank details?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast