Carnet

Thread: Carnet

Default Carnet

I want to go up the West Africa route, Cape to UK. I get conflicting reports re Carnet de Passage requirements. Anybody know the latest. Ditto visas on the way. Alan.

Welcome to the forum, Alan.

You must definitely have a carnet, otherwise you will have endless hassles, and could even come to a complete halt. A SA carnet is cheaper than an RAC one from the UK, but I am not sure that they offer the same facility of taking out an insurance policy rather than depositing a whole lot of capital as a surety.

Is your vehicle SA registered or UK?

I'd be interested in hearing of your plans, as not many on the forum have gone through West Africa......which I did years back when the DRC was Zaire and was open.

Have you found your way to the HUBB yet? A lot of the latest information is on there, but there is an anti-establishment streak there that holds the view that paperwork is for sissies, and if you ask about carnets you will get some very conflicting answers. I promise you, anachronistic that the system is, the carnet will save you endless problems.

Mike

edit....I see from your other post that you haven't got your vehicle sorted yet. Souunds like you have enough experience to get yourself the right sort of car......I'm guessing a LR Defender/ Series, or a Hilux.
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2011/01/15 at 09:30 PM.
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Default Carnet Makes Life Easy

In 2008 I went up Africa on a Vespa Scooter.
    The carnet was such a help.
    Just make sure that you have it stamped on entry and exit of the countries you will be traversing

@Mike AG...
    Just spoke to the AA. Unfortunately they do not allow insurance policies in leiu of the cash deposit. Apparently the RAC has had problems receiving payouts from the insurance stealers.

Cheers

If you are still in the UK contact Paul McGowan at the RAC travel services. He will give you all the information you need.
    Margaret

Hi All,
    have just completed a east Africa trip - 6 months - back home mid November 2013.
    the carnet and comesa did wonders. made 16 border crossings and the longest was 40 minutes and the fastest 10 minutes including application for a Visa. One person one L/C van. we will stongly recommend both.
    greetings
    want to do the west trip but need some more help and who is going - can I join ??
    fanie rossouw Windhoek Namibia
    [email protected]