Merc part prices

Default Merc part prices

My Bosch MAF sensor packed up 2 days ago. First I got prices from Midas for the MAF -> R1900, then I spoke to Bosch service center in Centurion -> R2200. I did not phone merc parts as I was expecting R4000+ . I phoned them just for kicks and their price was R1590 . Could believe agents was cheaper! Bought just then and there!

Same happened earlier last year. Needed to replace the discs (same diameter and thickness as Porsche 911 turbo without slotting and drilling) The cheapest pirate discs I could get was R2200 at Aerobrake in Kempton, again Merc agents was cheapest at R1600.

My friend who drives a BMW is also seriously considering buying a Merc for his next car because roughly all the similar parts/services we needed to do/replace mine was rougly a 1/3 of his cost.

I am not saying Merc is the cheapest car to maintain, just how surprised I am to get the cheapest parts mostly from them!
    --Kar

when shopping for parts i would always include the agents as i found with my caravelle that parts were sometimes cheaper at the agents than the "pirate" parts. its also good to know this as my platkar's maintenance plan recently expired

Missing two hubcaps from my 115cdi Vito Crewbus. A visit to the parts counter at the local dealership left me gobsmacked , quoted me R924 a hubcap !! They surely cannot cost more than R100 to make ? Will probably be cheaper to get a set of mag wheels , than replace all four hubcaps.

Well known fact, Merc cars expensive-parts cheap................to encourage Merc owners not to compromise on safety!!!!!
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

I have come to the following conclusion. If Merc has to compete with bosch, or who ever that also supplies that product, they will try and undercut them. If its a merc only part, they will do the usual and smoke you...

I bought an expansion tank for my ML on Amazon for USD 28 (R200), the agents want R1600 for this. At first I was skeptical about the quality of the pirate unit but on closer inspection it seems to be OEM quality! I think the contractor that manufactures this tank may have let a couple slip...
    --Kar

Merc spares can be tricky. I have a 1992 SL300 that now needs some TLC in the form of valve lifters, a throttle body and a fuel distributor. Merc price for the throttle body was around R16,500 and the fuel distributor was quoted at R29,500. Valve lifters were R3450 for 24. The price for lifters from Germany and the States was much of a muchness. However the throttle body and distributor, reconditioned with a 1 year waranty, 550 Euros delivered to my fron door ex Germany. The Merc agents price was for new items but still. I find the difference in price very, very large and can't help feeling that I'm being exploited most times by the stealers.

Remember, MBSA makes the prices not the dealers!
    On the List prices there is no room to play.